• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on Karina

Countrygirl

http://valerieeliotsmith.com/2016/03/07/karina-hansen-3-update-march-2016/

…..And now

Three years later, Karina remains a de facto prisoner of the state. She has been moved to a nearby “rehabilitation centre” but allowed very little contact with her family. However, her father recently visited her. Whilst she was physically clean and cared-for, she was nevertheless in a wheelchair and unable to speak except for incomprehensible mumbling and grimaces. She did not recognise her own father.

Although Karina was extremely ill before she was removed from home, she was still able to stand up, speak and communicate with others. She was being cared for by her family, according to her express wishes as a competent adult. Her condition as evidenced by this recent visit represents a frightening deterioration in her physical and mental health and wellbeing.

Karina’s state indicates several possible causes: for example – she is excessively over-medicated; she has experienced acute trauma; she is now suffering from serious neurological damage – or any combination of the three. In the absence of any clear explanation, the inevitable question arises: is her condition the direct result of a state-orchestrated plan which went horribly wrong?

UPDATE – legal (for more background see previous post)

On 26 February 2016, the Danish High Court heard an appeal by Karina’s parents against the guardianship order imposed by the District Court. This order had confirmed Kaj Stendorf as Karina’s permanent legal guardian. Mr Stendorf was the chief of police (now retired) in charge of Karina’s district when she was taken from her home by police against her will (see previous post). The appeal failed and the District Court’s order was upheld.

Asa

Haven't read the link, but it's my understanding that a case must fail at the highest State level before it can be taken to the European Court of Human Rights. I imagine this could be the next appeal?

LC2015

This disgusts, horrifies and offends me to my core. What can we do, practically, to help? I searched on change.org but only could find and sign one petition which was only like ~200 signatories... Is there a bigger one somewhere?

SilverbladeTE

PS. It pisses me off about that website that such less deserving causes get a hundred times the coverage. Why isn't the KH situation making international headlines like the Justina Pelletier case (rightly) did?!

the doctors are doing it for her own good..."The men in white coats know what's best for her, surely?"

M.E. isn't "sexy", it doesn't sell media coverage, it's not obvious, it's not appealing.

ergo, we are easily gas lighted and "pushed into the broom closet out of sight".

Invisible Woman

I wish we could do something more visible. We can't go out and march or protest so I wonder if we could do something like the ghost bikes in London. These bikes are painted white and tied up where a cyclist has been killed - it is quite a striking image.

Perhaps we could have life sized cut outs depicting generic shapes of men, women and children, in a dark grey perhaps (as in the shadows from the film Voices from the Shadows). Then if a group wanted to protest they poll to see how many of us want to send a shadow.....

I'd love to see thousands of silent shadows stood side by side outside the Hammel Neuro Centre in support of Karina.

LC2015

That's a really beautiful and poignant image! Or we just storm the place...... What is needed is a whistleblower to enter into this establishment as like a cleaner or something, and expose how they are treating her day-to-day.