Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

update: Good news re granddaughter and cervical cancer!

Discussion in 'Spirituality and ME/CFS' started by Mary, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Mary, I missed this thread but will definitely be adding your granddaughter, Jessica, to my prayers and please keep us posted how she is doing.

upload_2016-10-23_13-3-2.png

2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    barbc56, AndyPandy and Gingergrrl like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Sending up a prayer for Jessica, her family, and her medical team.

Gingergrrl and Mary like this.
  4. cfs6691

cfs6691

I ll pray and light a candle for Jessica.I wish her and the rest of the family the best.

Gingergrrl and Mary like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I'll be thinking of Jessica.

6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Mary how is your granddaughter doing now?

Little Bluestem, Mij and Countrygirl like this.
  7. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Gingergrrl - and everyone - I was just going to post an update (just got the title changed with Kina's kind help).

Well - first off - the cancer was not as advanced as I originally feared. When my son told me they had to halt the surgery because it was too advanced, I assumed the worst. And he and his wife and Jessica were so stressed at the time I didn't want to probe for details (they're several hundred miles away). But it turns out that the cancer had spread a little (something like that) to a few lymph nodes, but was still considered early stage, but that's why they halted the surgery because of the lymph node involvement. I'm still a little puzzled by this treatment decision, maybe someday I'll get a better explanation. On a positive note, if the cancer is gone, then perhaps she could still have children since they didn't do a hysterectomy.

She had "low-dose" chemo which finished shortly before Christmas, and radiation which finished a week or 2 ago.
    In late November (mid-treatment) a PET scan showed the tumor shrinking and lymph nodes responding and it had not spread further into the lymph nodes.

And now they are just waiting to see how she does. They'll be doing testing (I'm guessing another PET scan) in early April to see how she is.

So I really appreciate everyone's kind wishes and prayers!! :):hug:

8. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

@Mary I missed this thread the 1st time, but am sending Jessica good thoughts and hoping for a steady and speedy recovery!

Mary likes this.
  9. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Thank you @Gondwanaland! I will post another update when I get it in April.

Countrygirl and Gondwanaland like this.
  10. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    My best wishes of recovery to Jessica !

Mary likes this.
  11. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Thank you @Hanna!

Hanna likes this.
  12. erin

erin Senior Member

Good news, so glad.

Mary and MEMum like this.
  13. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    @Mary I am so pleased that you, Jessica and her family have had some good news and that her treatment hasn't been too difficult. Lets hope and pray she will now be well.

My brother has just been diagnosed with an aggressive prostrate cancer even though he didn't really have any symptoms and has just started on hormone treatment plus monthly injections. This is for 6 months and then he has to have 7 weeks of radiotherapy for 5 days a week so its going to be a very difficult time The only good news was that scans showed he doesn't have any other tumours so it looks like this cancer is just within the prostrate. As my mother died from ovarian cancer at 73 it was a huge shock that my brother has been diagnosed in this way at 72.

Best Wishes
    Pam

14. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

Will pray

Mary likes this.
  15. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Pam - Thank you so much for your good wishes! But I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It's very good of course that it appears to be confined to the prostate, and hopefully his treatment will be successful - I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers too. I'm sorry to hear about your mother as well. My niece died of ovarian cancer when she was 37. It's a tough one --

Take care -

Mary

Countrygirl and bertiedog like this.
  16. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Thank you so much @MEMum!

17. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I did not know that @Mary and am so sorry. Will continue to pray for Jessica and thank you for posting the update.

cfs6691, Countrygirl and Mary like this.
  18. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Thanks @Gingergrrl - What is really maddening is that it took the doctor over a year to diagnose her. I had originally thought it was 11 months but recently found out closer to 2 years - among other things, he told my niece it was normal to have pain during sex. By the time he figured it out, she looked like she was 6 months pregnant - and she was thin otherwise. I keep reading that the signs of ovarian cancer are vague, but they're not, to an informed person, and doctors should be informed about this.

Here are the common symptoms for ovarian cancer:

Bloating
    • Pelvic or abdominal pain
    • Trouble eating or feeling full quickly
    • Urinary symptoms such as urgency (always feeling like you have to go) or frequency (having to go often)
    Fatigue
    • Upset stomach
    • Back pain
    • Pain during sex
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual changes
    • Abdominal swelling with weight loss

19. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Mary Reading that was maddening and it seems like there is no end to doctors misdiagnosing or simply not taking the time to investigate when a patient is clearly reporting that something is wrong. This happened to Gilda Radner when she had ovarian cancer (in spite of her wealth and celebrity) and she was dismissed and misdiagnosed until her cancer was stage four and too late. I am so sorry about your niece having to go through this.

Thank you for posting the common signs and I believe that someone will stumble across your post in a Google search one day and it will save someone's life. This is one of the things that I love about PR.

20. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Unfortunately, ovarian cancer is very difficult to catch early. The symptoms can be very subtle to none at all, though the latter is not as common. Many of the symptoms can be attributed to other health problems. In the majority of women who have these symptoms, (thanks @Mary for posting them), they are usually due to conditions that are not cancer.

My sister was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer in September. In her case, she had no symptoms until her abdomen became so bloated, she ended up in the ER. This happened almost overnight. Fortunately, her husband is an oncologist. Obviously, he can't be her doctor, but he knows the system, so to speak, and she is getting very good medical care. In a better world all women would have access to the quality of care she's getting.

I have copied and pasted the following article by the American Cancer Society in full, as it has some very important information which might help someone's chances of catching the cancer earlier. It also explains why Ovarian cancer is difficult to diagnose. If you go to the URL, the article leads to even more helpful information.

While this article is depressing, it's worth reading. Knowledge is power!

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovariancancer/detailedguide/ovarian-cancer-detection

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Shoshana, MEMum, bertiedog and 3 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.