1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UPDATE: BLOOD WORKING GROUP

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Mindy Kitei, Aug 4, 2011.

1. liquid sky

liquid sky Senior Member

That German translation says that only 2 labs found the virus, but in healthy controls. Amazingly, the labs were the 2 labs involved in the original study. Also there were only 14 samples. wasn't there supposed to be 30?

2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Looks like Science is partially retracting the WPI paper?

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.co...ract-the-xmrv-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-paper/

3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is the BWG paper, embargo just lifted.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2011/09/21/science.1213841

4. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Cort I agree with Sosumi's comment earlier about the tone of your posts about "big news"......I don't understand your approach in the thread, given how things look to be playing out today.......?

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

WPI comment from here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-new-research/2011/09/21/gIQAJXSenK_blog.html

Live says it's now live, although no content yet - due to start on the hour?: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/09/live-chat-chronic-fatigue-syndro.html

heapsreal likes this.
  6. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I thought the same in advance, before we have now heard about the results. I thought he sounded a bit excited. While i knew he didn't "believe" in XMRV anymore, i would find it hard to believe he would enjoy news that are hard to take for many people.

7. Nina

Nina Senior Member

Ah, come on, Eric ;) Of course we don't *know* what would have happened otherwise, but we can take a pretty good guess judging by decades of experience!

I registered on PR because of the Lombardi study. So did hundreds of others. We started connecting with others from around the globe. How many blogs have been started about ME since? How many media pieces have been published? How many researchers now say "I didn't know this disease before, but it's a serious disease that very likely has immune system/viral invovlement"?

This is *all* due to one family with a sick daughter doing what nobody else wanted to do.

If that's not a reason to at least admit they've done a lot of things right I honestly don't know what would be. Let's see how others will deal with their work being subjected to the same amount of scrutiny and politcs!

Bob likes this.
  8. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

What i would want the WPI to do now is to run a blinded experiment with controls in their own lab. If they can still find a significant difference between cases and controls and reproduce their previous results, i would be willing to cooperate and try to finance another blinded study where only a trusted third party has the codes and without any possibility for the WPI to cheat. But if they fail, i would want my money back...

9. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

10. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

That's true, but there are also many negative points one could list. And do you know the story of the boy that always cried "Wolf!"? We will see, there is no other way than to deal with the current situation anyway. But i want to see another kind of work, honestly.

11. FancyMyBlood

FancyMyBlood Senior Member

I don't know if anyone if following the chat, but it's online @ Sciencemag.

I found this particular response interesting.

Despite the final nail in the coffin, I'm starting to believe XMRV is the best thing ever happened in CFS research.

WillowJ and Bob like this.
  12. RRM

RRM

'Promised' I wouldn't post but as this is strictly factual/helpful:

- It is not behind a paywal, but requires (free) registration.

If it's too much energy for anyone that wants to read it, PM me with an email address and I will send it to you.

13. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Ah, thanks RRM. When I saw I had to enter certain data I concluded I would have to draw my wallet.

14. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is from the Science chat:

So no Phase 4 and another negative study incoming.

15. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
  16. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

You really, really want people to read this... Thanks for the offer, but please also consider helping with making progress in solving this disease.

Waiting for comments from the labs involved now, especially Ruscetti, Mikovits and Lo. And then i hope we will hear from Hanson, Bieger, IrsiCaixa, Vip DX and RedLabs at some point. I agree it doesn't look good, but i guess these people and groups are forced to react now and i hope this will bring more clarity.

17. free at last

free at last Senior Member

Just dissapointed, i dont really understand how any of this could of really of happened.

Like Eric says Harvey Alter, with hes reputation. Frank ruscetti, same. How the hell did we end up here like this. Its just a slap in the face, for those that probably deserve it the least. I have to belive, that in some way it was not there fault, its all gone wrong. They had better be right about this or its unforgivable. Being left with a disease that is discredited. is quite frightening. They had Better be right. To all those that belived, as i did. Sorry everyone. its a sad end. I cant think no more its too much

18. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    I guess xrayspex is hinting that Cort also knew what the news was, which is most likely. That isn't so hard to figure out. When I read Cort's posts, I knew that the results were going to be bad. There was sufficient orchestration of this event to conclude that most of the 'interested' parties knew about the results. My guess is the CAA knew.

Nina likes this.
  19. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Deals a Blow to a Viral Theory NEW YORK TIMES By DAVID TULLER Published: September 22, 2011

Dashing the hopes of many people with chronic fatigue syndrome, an eagerly awaited study coordinated by government health agencies has not confirmed a link between the illness and a virus called XMRV or others from the same class of mouse leukemia viruses.

Don't Give Up Hope!​

Yes, it sucks but realize there has been some positive developments in the fact that this illness received an incredible amount of exposure and media attention which resulted in numerous research projects centering on this illness.

1. There is a great deal of ongoing research still being conducted on this illness that many are not aware of.

2. Ian Lipkin is still committed into finding a cause for this illness and stated his belief that it pathogenic in origin.

3. There is also Montoya's huge Stanford Research Study still being conducted on finding a cause and cure for this illness.

4. Many researchers are in the process of identifying bio markers for this illness

5. New funding is moving into this area as evidence by the Hutchins Family Foundation $10 million dollar award.

PS: After exhaustive testing...there was no room for error, Silvermann came to his conclusion as cited above in another post.

20. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Is this the end though? Lipkin will finish his study and that Science hasn't retracted the entire WPI study still stands for something. If I understand the current situation correctly, the WPI have the chance to reinvent XMRV. This is a quote from Dr. Mikovits:

(From http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904563904576586911675053954.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)

I need to distance myself now and think about this.

WillowJ likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.