• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UPDATE: BLOOD WORKING GROUP

Thanks Mindy. Sounds pretty thorough, I guess to make up for the ambiguity of the last phase.

It sounds so similar to the Lipkin study, that it seems a bit strange that they did not coordinate them more.

eric_s

In addition to these 2 there's also the Maldarelli study, which will also do more or less the same thing, the WPI and other labs will test blinded samples (i think they are blinded) with their own assays.

redo

It's been a month know. Anyone who knows how the progress is going?

Jemal

Some people from the other forum contacted some of the members of the BWG. A response a couple of days ago indicated that they are waiting for the results to be published, before they will talk about it.

Wonko

hmm...so if they are positive then we'll never hear then (as there seems to be "issues" with publishing papers that dont think xmrv is contamination)

These results will have to come out. I think that, if they were positive, then there would have been more urgent action taken. That they're going through peer review etc makes me think that it's negative (but I'm not expecting XMRV to work out, so that could just be my prejudices).

Jemal

These results will have to come out. I think that, if they were positive, then there would have been more urgent action taken. That they're going through peer review etc makes me think that it's negative (but I'm not expecting XMRV to work out, so that could just be my prejudices).

I think the idea always was to publish the results from this phase, positive or negative. Positive results might be more difficult to publish I guess, though the BWG is not just another institute doing research of course.

I have no idea what the results are going to be. My gut feeling is negative, but everything is possible: one of the members of the BWG was very recently funded for another XMRV study.

For now it means more waiting for us patients...

They had just started compiling the results according to Mindy's blog. And there were several labs. This wasn't going to be done overnight.

alex3619

ukxmrv

Thanks Alex,

I'd lost track of that!

They don't have long to go over 4 topics in an hour and a quarter? Better than nothing of course

9:15 am 10:30 am
Session: Virology Research
Session Chair: Jose Montoya, M.D.

Blood XMRV Scientific Research Working Group: Latest Findings
Graham Simmons, Ph.D.

Detection Of Anti-XMRV Antibodies In Serum of CFS Patients and Healthy Blood Donors in Belgium
Kenny De Meirleir, M.D.

Detection of MLV-like Gag Sequences in Blood and Cell Lines Incubated With Plasma From CFS Patients and Controls
Maureen Hanson, Ph.D.

Chronic Fatigue, Nonrestorative sleep, Musculoskeletal Pain, and Depression in a Disabled Cohort of Survivors of Acute SARS Viral Disease
Harvey Moldofsky, M.D., Dip.Psych., FRCPC, FAPA

Daffodil

just so sick of seeing studies wasting time on blood flow patterns, exercise, and all these things secondary to the infection...i just want them to look for the #$@#@W infection!

free at last

just so sick of seeing studies wasting time on blood flow patterns, exercise, and all these things secondary to the infection...i just want them to look for the #$@#@W infection!
Exactly Dafdodil, is it really that hard to just cut to the chase. Interesting that K De Meirleir is presenting, looks like he might be finding it, what am i missing here