1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UPDATE: BLOOD WORKING GROUP

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Mindy Kitei, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Mindy Kitei

Mindy Kitei

The Blood Working Group's Phase III results are expected in a month. Interview with Dr. Michael P. Busch, whose institute is breaking the codes.

Mindy Kitei
    CFS Central
    http://www.cfscentral.com

2. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Wow, this will be a big thing, either way. Thanks. Haven't even read the article yet.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks Mindy. Sounds pretty thorough, I guess to make up for the ambiguity of the last phase.

It sounds so similar to the Lipkin study, that it seems a bit strange that they did not coordinate them more.

4. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

In addition to these 2 there's also the Maldarelli study, which will also do more or less the same thing, the WPI and other labs will test blinded samples (i think they are blinded) with their own assays.

5. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

As soon as anybody hears or reads any hint about these results, please post it here. Thanks.

6. redo

redo Senior Member

It's been a month know. Anyone who knows how the progress is going?

7. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Some people from the other forum contacted some of the members of the BWG. A response a couple of days ago indicated that they are waiting for the results to be published, before they will talk about it.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    hmm...so if they are positive then we'll never hear then (as there seems to be "issues" with publishing papers that dont think xmrv is contamination)

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

These results will have to come out. I think that, if they were positive, then there would have been more urgent action taken. That they're going through peer review etc makes me think that it's negative (but I'm not expecting XMRV to work out, so that could just be my prejudices).

10. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I think the idea always was to publish the results from this phase, positive or negative. Positive results might be more difficult to publish I guess, though the BWG is not just another institute doing research of course.

I have no idea what the results are going to be. My gut feeling is negative, but everything is possible: one of the members of the BWG was very recently funded for another XMRV study.

For now it means more waiting for us patients...

beaker likes this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think these results will be published. They do not have to be published in a leading journal, but will probably be released as an official report.

12. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I agree with this.

13. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I thought positive studies tend to be reviewed more thoroughly, while negative ones are quick.

14. Ernie

Ernie *****

They had just started compiling the results according to Mindy's blog. And there were several labs. This wasn't going to be done overnight.

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I am not willing to speculate about the BWG results a week before they are making a presentation at the Ottawa conference. After that we will have more information. Bye, Alex

taniaaust1 and WillowJ like this.
  16. redo

redo Senior Member

Where did you get the info about the BWG and Ottawa?

17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

http://www.iacfsme.org/Conferences/2011AgendaProfessional/tabid/461/Default.aspx

9:15 am 10:30 am
    Session: Virology Research
    Session Chair: Jose Montoya, M.D.

Blood XMRV Scientific Research Working Group: Latest Findings
    Graham Simmons, Ph.D.

This information has been public for months, and is one big reason I have been primarily waiting.

justy likes this.
  18. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Thanks Alex,

I'd lost track of that!

They don't have long to go over 4 topics in an hour and a quarter? Better than nothing of course

9:15 am 10:30 am
    Session: Virology Research
    Session Chair: Jose Montoya, M.D.

Blood XMRV Scientific Research Working Group: Latest Findings
    Graham Simmons, Ph.D.

Detection Of Anti-XMRV Antibodies In Serum of CFS Patients and Healthy Blood Donors in Belgium
    Kenny De Meirleir, M.D.

Detection of MLV-like Gag Sequences in Blood and Cell Lines Incubated With Plasma From CFS Patients and Controls
    Maureen Hanson, Ph.D.

Chronic Fatigue, Nonrestorative sleep, Musculoskeletal Pain, and Depression in a Disabled Cohort of Survivors of Acute SARS Viral Disease
    Harvey Moldofsky, M.D., Dip.Psych., FRCPC, FAPA

19. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

just so sick of seeing studies wasting time on blood flow patterns, exercise, and all these things secondary to the infection...i just want them to look for the #$@#@W infection!

20. free at last

free at last Senior Member

Exactly Dafdodil, is it really that hard to just cut to the chase. Interesting that K De Meirleir is presenting, looks like he might be finding it, what am i missing here

See more popular forum discussions.