• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UNSW graded exercise therapy trial under investigation

In December last year, a petition signed by 702 people was sent to Australia’s University of New South Wales (UNSW) Vice Chancellor Prof Ian Jacobs;the Mason Foundation; the federal health minister and the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) asking them to stop UNSW’s trial of an education module for health professionals. The trial module treats chronic fatigue syndrome patients with graded exercise therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy (GET/CBT), despite the evidence showing these therapies have no benefit and may cause permanent harm.

This morning I spoke to the UNSW Vice Chancellor’s office who said they have received and noted the petition and “the matter is under investigation”.

The Vice Chancellor’s office could not say whether this was an internal investigation or whether they would be seeking external expertise. They could not say when the investigation was likely to be concluded. The office’s Cassandra Williams said it would depend on the outcome of the investigation as to whether they would make a public statement.

They did say they would write to me after the investigation finished.
https://meaustralia.net/2017/02/28/unsw-graded-exercise-therapy-trial-under-investigation/

Couldn't find an original thread, if one does exist then I'm happy for this to be merged with it.