• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unrest available for purchase on Amazon (streaming)

Mary

Moderator Resource
This may have been posted elsewhere - in any event I just discovered you can purchase it for streaming now on Amazon for $9.99. I think you need Amazon Prime to watch it though am not sure - I've never purchased something for streaming on Amazon before (though I do have a Prime membership)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My PBS station had it on at midnight! last night. I DVRed it and finally got to watch it today and have a saved copy. What a great job, Jennifer and everyone else involved. It brought tears even though none of the content was new to me. How I hope this film is going to get into the top 5 for an Academy Award. :thumbsup:

Starsister

Good to know it will be on Netflix. I sent out the link for pbs to a few folks but didn't know it was limited time and most folks don't have time to watch things that don't directly affect them. No one has even acknowledged my emails so far. A bit disappointing.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Good to know it will be on Netflix. I sent out the link for pbs to a few folks but didn't know it was limited time and most folks don't have time to watch things that don't directly affect them. No one has even acknowledged my emails so far. A bit disappointing.

The same thing happened to me - no response - and this was family members! I'm going to talk to them about this ...

Starsister

The same thing happened to me - no response - and this was family members! I'm going to talk to them about this ...
Sorry for you, but good to know you have experienced the no response as well. In my case, I don't feel like I should try talking to them for fear of pushing them away even further. People who are not related to me seem to have no desire to be bothered with Hearing my problems. I've been told so often that I should just talk about joy. But I have no family who is stuck with me in their lives, I'm not needed by anybody so they do not want to be inconvenienced....people only reach out if they need help. I followed the link above to an interview of Brea, and discovered a congretional hearing on YouTube she was part of. I'm thinking of sending that out. Perhaps people would rather hear something less personal.

Nobody wants to have personal conversations anymore, I guess because they have better people to bring into their personal lives. With the help of the online CFS community and support, I certainly do not feel as sorry for myself as I used to, I know that would have been off putting. But I've been careful to be nothing but upbeat and positive when having contact with people, not looking for any emotional support, but still they say nothing, or just that I look fine when they see me....but that is only once of twice a year when they are available and when I'm having a "good" day. Such a quandary. Wish there were a CFS etiquette guide so we would know how much to say, to who and how, so as not to push our friends further away then they already are.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Starsister - I agree, it's hard. I too always try to be positive and upbeat when I talk to people but most don't want to hear what's going on anyways, and so I just stop trying. It takes too much energy dealing with non-supportive people. Actually, I tell very few people about ME/CFS (not that I run into a lot of people anyways!), because no one gets it. And I don't really tell anyone how hard it is to live with. I have one sister who does get it. She has rheumatoid arthritis but has told me many times she'd rather have RA than ME/CFS. She believes me and has imagined herself in my shoes, but that's very rare. The whole thing is rather crazy making. This board is a lifesaver because everyone here knows exactly what you are going through.

I think this is why this documentary is huge. It's starting to educate people about the reality of ME/CFS. My ex-husband actually watched it, much to my surprise. When we were together, he basically said it was all in my head. so he's changing (slowly).

I like your idea of a CFS etiquette guide! :)

Starsister

@Starsister - I agree, it's hard. I too always try to be positive and upbeat when I talk to people but most don't want to hear what's going on anyways, and so I just stop trying. It takes too much energy dealing with non-supportive people. Actually, I tell very few people about ME/CFS (not that I run into a lot of people anyways!), because no one gets it. And I don't really tell anyone how hard it is to live with. I have one sister who does get it. She has rheumatoid arthritis but has told me many times she'd rather have RA than ME/CFS. She believes me and has imagined herself in my shoes, but that's very rare. The whole thing is rather crazy making. This board is a lifesaver because everyone here knows exactly what you are going through.

I think this is why this documentary is huge. It's starting to educate people about the reality of ME/CFS. My ex-husband actually watched it, much to my surprise. When we were together, he basically said it was all in my head. so he's changing (slowly).

I like your idea of a CFS etiquette guide! :)
That's fantastic you have a sister who does "get it". I had a fleeting thought of sending the link to my ex who literally said "it's all in your head" that I didn't have the energy to do all the driving to live outside the city where she wanted to be near her family. However, I still feel enough pain over that 9 years that I don't want to risk engaging in a dialogue with her! I loved the part in the film though where the husband actually came back to the marriage after realizing it was genuine. Hope they stay together and it was a "gee, you are in a film proving me wrong so it will make me look good to be a hero and remarry you".

I'd write the etiquette book if I could figure out what the heck people want from us. All I see and know now is that we are meant to suffer and die alone.