Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Unknown PACE-trial advocate tries to block JHP issue dedicated to the trial

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Solstice, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/james.c.coyne/posts/10214635365384655

Took the liberty to create an own thread for this piece of information. Pretty shocking yet not surprising how far people are willing to go to save their own asses.

2. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Well done Solstice, definitely needs it's own thread!

Yes shocked yet not shocked as we've had to live with decades of such abuses of power. Sincere thanks to David Marks, JHP, James Coyne for having the b...s and integrity to stand up for us!

I hope others will finally stand up against this concerted abuse of seriously ill patients.

3. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Just seems to comfirm why noone has *yet* touched PACE with a barge pole (apart from a handful of brave individuals) because someone or something powerful is prepared to make life pretty difficult for any that do.

It's what we're up against.

Congrats for pressing ahead!

ladycatlover, Chezboo, Jan and 30 others like this.
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Pretty interesting. The fact pro-PACE people are trying to get things censored behind the scenes is quite disgusting, and I wonder how many years this sort of thing has gone on for, and who exactly is doing this? It obviously has to be someone high up and influential.

I hope we hear more and that others have the moral courage to come forward and at least speak factually about such approaches they've experienced behind the scenes. Such things belong in the light not hidden away.

Chezboo, Jan, Dolphin and 32 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

It has gone on for a long time and I see no reason to think that it involves anyone other than Simon Wessely. He contacts people directly in a wheedling sort of way, or perhaps he contacts someone indirectly.

The recently inaugurated President of the Royal Society of Medicine seems to be damaging the credibility of UK academic medicine in his first week. Or at least that is the way things look. The Royal Society of Medicine has never been of much importance but UK academic medicine deserves better.

The whole thing is remarkably reminiscent of the Trump circus.

6. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

The next real test will be if the media do anything (or are able to do anything) with it. Wessely will be pulling out all the stops to prevent it.

Jan, ballard, Daisymay and 18 others like this.
  7. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Also very thankful that JHP/ DFM and Sage Publishing have the cahoonas to thwart this offensive.

Jan, Dolphin, Mary and 22 others like this.
  8. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK

Attached Files:

Mary, ballard, Daisymay and 5 others like this.
  9. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Are we being teased with this 'clue' I wonder? ;) "A weaselly coward " ......

Mary, Orla, Daisymay and 8 others like this.
  10. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

What is reassuring is that, lately, their attempts to block dissident voices have all been complete failures and they've all been made public. It doens't work as it used to....

Nonetheless, there doesn't seem to be an outcry of disagreement, but maybe opprobrium is growing behind the scene.

How long can they go on with such despicable behavior?

11. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Well, for as far as we now offcourse. There's no telling what they did manage to block, cause it doesn't see the light.

12. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

13. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Sounds like they nearly were cowed. SAGE was a donor to the SMC in 2012 and 2013, so the Weasel probably thought he could pull a few strings. I think we've been very lucky that JHP doesn't have a small UK publisher.

Yep, good luck with the UK press. SMC currently has Metro, Nature, Financial Times, The Times, and the BBC on the board, and no doubt links to many other media outlets and "journalists". Best case scenario is that one of them breaks ranks then all the others follow, if a sick man may be permitted to dream for a moment ...

upload_2017-7-30_12-19-15.png

http://powerbase.info/index.php/Science_Media_Centre

ladycatlover, Jan, sue la-la and 22 others like this.
  14. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    People like SW seem to take the word "lies" for a different meaning.

15. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    This sentence ...
    ... needs a "not" before the word "therefore" surely?

Edit: I did try to message him on FB about it, but not sure it got through. It should be corrected before tomorrow morning really. Anybody have contact with James Coyne?

Edit 2: He's sorted it! :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  16. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    As the dissenting voices are international it becomes harder for the UK establishment to use to old boys network to shut things up. Although we could end up with a situation where doctors are fed a line in the UK which is ridiculed in the rest of the world.

17. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

They already are. We need to go on fighting for some time to come, I suspect. I plan to buy a copy of this JHP issue to give to my doctor, and print off a couple of the articles to hand to any other doctors I see who display ignorance. Medical training is a big issue too.

Jan, Luther Blissett, Mary and 16 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Whatever the history and explanations for it that emerge over time, one thing we can be certain of is that Wessely's name will feature prominently from the late 1980s to this day.

19. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I think his name will be immortalised, just not for the reasons he hopes for.

20. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

CarolB, Jan, Luther Blissett and 11 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.