The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by mariovitali, May 3, 2015.

1. adreno

adreno Homo neanderthalensis

The North
    I was thinking something along those lines. But would the extracts give any meaning?

2. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I saw that, which is indeed a cool feature, but I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of dynamic database that can be used for crowdsourcing information by rating the effectiveness of various treatments. I know that there are a few online health databases that take this approach but it might be nice to have one just for members of this forum and our specific experiments. I'm sure that something exists out there already that would work.

3. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

That looks great for research but I was thinking more along the lines of something where people could rate treatments and indicate side effects in a dynamic spreadsheet sort of layout.

This might be too simplistic, but I was thinking something like this...

CureTogether

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

Yes that is great, there are actually so many Techniques out there which haven't been put to use as much as they should. We can find common characteristics/combinations of supplements that seem to work better, sequences of events, you name it.

Anyway, if any admin is reading these messages then i will be happy to help out.

5. mariovitali

Basically you can extract a ton of knowledge out of it which of course would be just hypotheses. Out of the top of my head we could see:

-Most common symptoms
    -Which symptoms tend to occur together
    -Which events happen after a supplement intake
    -Which combinations of supplements shows better results (=lower frequency of Symptoms)

Gondwanaland likes this.
  6. adreno

The North
    That sounds interesting. So that is essentially machine learning algorithms.

I suggest we make a new thread about it, and get more people and ideas on board.

mariovitali and JPV like this.
  7. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

We need to do something. The data on the site is getting somewhat unmanageable.

mariovitali likes this.
  8. ZudZud

ZudZud

It can be done with a large database using associations, but the real problem will be people randomly upvoting/downvoting substances, symptoms and general spam. It needs full time watchdogs and the end result might not reveal so much. It's as much of a technical challenge as it is a human issue. However, it could be awesome.

See imdb ratings, iherb reviews, etc. for general problems with such systems.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  9. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

I am presently learning computer programming and I believe this would make a good project for me. There already Is a website covering all medical conditions showing drugs reviews per conditions but this is a bit more specific. I don't know if I'd call it s machine learning but it is more specific.

10. mariovitali

Dear All,

After doing more research about my condition i realized that i have to check my kidney function and whether i am in the route towards Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).

So i visited a Pathologist whom i never seen and went there prepared with several PubMed printouts and explained to him what i think is going on (Methylation Problems, Insufficient BH4 and Ultimately UPR as part of the Mechanism). He was very open and said that whatever i said made perfect sense to him but OTOH we cannot prove anything.

I have found 3 times elevated Creatinine and Urea but never had eGFR so i will be doing these next week. I am Keeping my fingers crossed...

Please make sure that you do not have BH4, GCH1 Mutations because this will impair dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine, your Nitric Oxide production and ultimately your kidneys (among other things).

Please also visit this thread

11. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

Valentijn likes this.
  12. mariovitali

@nandixon

Yes that makes sense but i would like to take all things under consideration (which as you pointed out correctly, should be addressed whenever i talk about impaired BH4 Production). I could definitely see some issues with Dopamine, Epinephrine and Nitric Oxide production. My NO was very low actually. So perhaps my Methylation problems + GCH1 impairs Dopamine/Adrenaline production.

nandixon likes this.
  13. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

@mariovitali interesting... When I open my Promethease report my top detrimental SNPs point to urinary tract problems (kidney disease, bladder cancer). I hope I can decipher this thread and the one you linked soon. I think am having very low dopamine and adrenaline as well.

mariovitali likes this.
  14. mariovitali

FYI @nandixon

More evidence on how Resveratrol could help achieve better BH4 levels :

and (this has been posted before)

I believe that induction of BH4 levels was very important for my recovery.

sb4 and nandixon like this.
  15. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

@mariovitali

I tried resveratrol 2 or 3 years ago, and didn't notice much effect. Perhaps slightly positive, but not worth the high cost. I used the best (I think) product available at the time, which was Biotivia Transmax Trans-Resveratrol (500 mg).

The problem with resveratrol is that it does a great many things - perhaps too many things, many or most of which are only achievable in vitro. So it may be difficult to tell what effect it's really having if a person experiences a benefit from taking it.

adreno likes this.
  16. mariovitali

Resveratrol has definitely helped me. I know this because at that time i was not getting anything else and i felt an immediate boost (but which on its own wasn't enough).

Needless to say that this condition we are having needs personalized therapy with many different parameters that have to be accounted for.

17. adreno

The North
    I did find it stimulating. Unfortunately, it made me quite aggressive, like dopamine rage. It also seems to be a nitric oxide killer.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  18. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I can't tolerate fexofenadine at all.

19. adreno

The North
    What happens?

20. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Agitation.

See more popular forum discussions.