The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
Over the Hills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by mariovitali, May 3, 2015.

1. adreno

adreno Homo neanderthalensis

The North
    Side effects from what?

2. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

@adreno

Side Effects from CFS such as BrainFog, Orthostatic Intolerance, Pain, Fatigue, etc

I never had CFS Side Effects while being ill from a virus infection basically.

EDIT : I meant Symptoms, not Side Effects

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  3. adreno

The North
    I believe the correct term is symptoms. My symptoms are usually worse when having a cold/flu.

4. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    If you do mean symptoms, on the rare occasions I develop an infection since having ME I feel much better. It is almost as if my body is busy attacking the infection and so leaves me alone. (I don't know if this is what you mean?)

sb4, Sidereal, merylg and 2 others like this.
  5. mariovitali

@adreno

Ah, Blame my "impeccable" English. Question Corrected, Thank you.

@Countrygirl

Yes this is exactly what i meant. It is as if our immune system is busy elsewhere. Thanks!

sb4, merylg and Countrygirl like this.
  6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

a) Do you feel that CFS symptoms are less noticeable while you have a Cold / Flu?
    I tend to feel worse when I have a cold or a flu - which only happens like 1x a year

b) Do you feel generally better during the summer and worse during the winter time?
    Chill weather just set in one week ago here in the south hemisphere and >boom< fibromyalgia flare
    In the summer I become housebound b/c I do not tolerate the high temperatures

c) How many of the childhood illnesses have you had?
    I only remember a quick chickenpox with only 2 or 3 blisters

7. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    a) I have noticed that on the very few occasions that I get a cold, my cfs symptoms are better.
    b) I feel worse during the winter with aches and pains. One month in the springtime I feel better than usual.
    c) I never had any childhood illnesses.

8. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

No. I generally feel like I have the flu all the time. When I do get sick I feel worse overall. I actually haven't gotten sick very much over the last 10 years or so. Probably due to my immune system being overreactive.

9. mariovitali

@JPV, @Tammy, @Gondwanaland

I never had any childhood illnesses too. I also had many years to get sick and now that i recovered i get sick like all the other people.

I believe the culprit here is as follows : Because of increased Oxidative Stress, our bodies have many ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species). ROS are consumed to help killing the viruses in the body. Since there are already enough ROS around our body, any potential virus does not have the correct environment to thrive.

Actually when i was starting feeling better i would get flu-like symptoms every day much like the flu-like symptoms one has when he/she starts the Methylation protocol.

Perhaps the problem is not an overactive immune system, but Oxidative Stress bringing havoc to all our cells.

sb4, merylg and Gondwanaland like this.
  10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    1. I don't get sick very often (knock wood) but when I do, I feel worse.
    2. I feel much worse in the summer due to the heat.
    3. I had chicken pox twice. And mono at 18. Other than that, I wasn't a sickly child but I always did tire out faster and need more rest than my peers. Despite all that, I had a very active outdoor, farm raised childhood.

JaimeS likes this.
  11. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Interesting that you mention this. Dr. Stephanie Seneff is against cholesterol lowering statins, and is a proponent of eating cholesterol containing foods.

Then you have the Ray Peat followers who do sugar, and no doubt some go overboard with it. Peat's belief is that it's metabolic/thyroid friendly.

sb4 likes this.
  12. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I wonder if D-Ribose is a viable alternative in this situation.

merylg likes this.
  13. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    I never really responded favorably to D-Ribose, but don't use me as an example. No doubt it has helped others though.

I have upped my sugar intake some, just adding it to my coffee. I eat enough carbs, and do some extra orange juice

14. adreno

The North
  15. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    merylg likes this.
  16. mariovitali

@JPV @adreno @Rand56

Again, sugar is a double-edged sword just like Calcium. I really appreciate your comments because it is valuable feedback so i can better express the regimen that i follow.

HmG-CoA is boosted by sugar and Cholesterol intake. However i didn't want to suggest that you should follow these steps.

Recall that boosting of HSPs (HSP70) are a key step to the regimen i am following.

I will edit the original post to clarify this, regarding Sugar and Cholesterol intake

merylg likes this.
  17. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Where it states "high fat calorie diet", do you think they are referring to both PUFA's and saturated fat?

18. mariovitali

I'd imagine they mean Saturated Fats but unfortunately i cannot tell for sure. OTOH it's probably good practice not to overdo it with PUFAs as well. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable can shed some light into this.

19. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Ok, well I'm no expert in this subject, but I think many more people now realize that saturated fat isn't as evil as once thought.

Edit: Let me also say this first, I am no Ray Peat shill, because I don't really know what all to believe. It's his contention that the PUFA's are problematic, in that they inhibit thyroid function. But I know this thread is not "Is Ray Peat right or not?" LOL. I'll just leave it at that. Whether he is right or wrong, I don't really know. What I do know, is I can gobble down gobs of coconut oil <saturated fat> and I don't gain weight. Whether it's harming me in other ways, I don't know.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    merylg likes this.
  20. mariovitali

I feel that D-Ribose didn't help and maybe it made me feel a bit worse.

merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.