Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by mariovitali, May 3, 2015.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    When it comes to mitochondrial proteins there is an issue that some are made in the mitochondria, and some in the rest of the cell and are imported unfolded then folded inside the mitochondria. This might be important, and is the basis for why I say we might have aconitase deficiency.

Valentijn, JaimeS and merylg like this.
  2. adreno

adreno Learned helplessness

Europe
    It is my belief that the microbiome plays a huge role in the pathogenesis of ME. This article looks very interesting, as it examines links between bacteria and the UPR:

EDIT: found the full text here:
    http://www.immunology-allergy.org/immunoblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/celli2014.pdf

List of bacterial pathogens that induce or modulate UPR:

bacteria.png

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    merylg, Valentijn, xptriado and 2 others like this.
  3. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

Greece
    @adreno

I am currently researching what happens with Orthostatic Intolerance. I had OI too and interestingly, my analysis has shown that prior to OI i had pain at the base of my neck, right hand side. I know i sound strange but bare with me.

I coded a special software that connects to PubMed and donwloads the text from PubMed articles in a CSV format. So far i've downloaded data for the following Topics of interest :

As an example, upr.csv (shown in blue above) is a file that contains all articles from PubMed regarding Unfolded Protein Response (UPR) and at the moment of writing it consists of 5153 entries.

So what we can do next, is to see the proportion of a Topic of interest (e.g Orthostatic Intolerance) to all of the Topics that i downloaded from PubMed. So for OI i had the following results :

Recall that in a previous link i posted, the authors suggest that CFS is a kind of Amyloidosis :

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1471-2377-5-22

Upon further inspection i found this link : http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=567282

You will find both side effects (OI and RLS) in the list of Problems i experienced.

merylg, JaimeS, JPV and 1 other person like this.
  4. mariovitali

Greece
    Here is another type of Analysis that goes through a specific subject. The software was run on 24560 entries regarding 'Amyloidosis' on PubMed.

I marked in red fonts potentially interesting keywords, please let me know what i missed.

Here are the most Frequently Occurring words :

These are frequently occurring 2-word phrases :

And finally these words co-occur with the keyword symptom(s)

merylg likes this.
  5. adreno

Europe
    merylg and JaimeS like this.
  6. mariovitali

Greece
    I believe that the Researchers who saw CFS as a kind of Amyloidosis and discuss Unfolded Protein Response have hit Bull's Eye. The analysis shows (but of course can't confirm) that there are so many common features between Amyloidosis and CFS.

The same -possibly- applies for the Post-Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) and also for Permanent side effects of Accutane (Depression, Brain Fog, Neurological Problems).

The fact that i recovered from a Condition spanning more than 7 years is not a coincidence. I tried hundreds of Supplements and Medications, injected HCG for Hypogonadism, received Thyroid Medication...i was a mess. And within 2 months everything normalized.

I am running several other types of Analysis and i will post them here to discuss.

sb4, merylg, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  7. adreno

Europe
    It seems to me that UPR is a feature, rather than a cause, of many human inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. There may be several pathways leading to this. Also, it might not be equally easy for everyone to normalize the UPR. In particular because we don't know what causes it in ME.

sb4, merylg, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  8. mariovitali

Greece
    The initial results from people i talk to are very promising and I will try to have them write here their first impressions.

Regarding the possibilty of people feeling better with this regimen i am very optimistic and the reason is that i started having problems since 1999 (that was my first crash with Finasteride and what triggered CFS) and i got cured.

If it was possible to overcome this after so many years of problems, i believe ther are very good chances for others living a normal life as well.

sb4 and merylg like this.
  9. mariovitali

Greece
    I would like to explain to you why whenever i made the decision to change to a more Healthy Lifestyle my Health was deteriorating even more. I was "lucky" to have a feedback mechanism that would signal the beginning of Side Effects : I would get short Tinnitus (2-3 seconds) in one of my ears (usually the left one) and then problems would begin :

-Loss of Libido
    -Impotence
    -Neurological Problems
    -Depression
    -Anxiety
    -Orthostatic Intolerance
    -Thyroid Problems

..and the list goes on.

At some point I had Thyroid problems and somewhat elevated total Cholesterol. My Endo told me that i should stop eating Foods High in Cholesterol, Exercise and lose weight.

So, i decided to change my Lifestyle as follows :

a) Eliminate Foods High in Cholesterol
    b) Go to Gym 3 times a day
    c) Eliminate too much Sugar and Carbohydrates from my Diet and focus on eating Protein and Vegetables
    d) Taking Whey Protein after Gym
    e) When i wanted something sweet i would have Sugarless Chewing Gum (with Aspartame)

It was at that particular time (apart from when i stopped taking Propecia for my hairloss) when i saw my Health deteriorating with Tinnitus incidents hitting me almost every day. Let's see why :

a) Foods high in Cholesterol and Sugar boost HmG-CoA activity which is beneficial for us. When i decided to change my diet (=eliminate Sugar and too much Cholesterol) i also stopped HmG-CoA activity, which made me feel worse.

b) Intense Exercise and Resistance Training increases Oxidative Stress.

c) Whey Protein possibly overloaded my Body with Proteins that could not be properly folded (?)

d) Aspartame further impaired my problematic BH4 Production due to my GCH1 Mutation

So This lifestyle resulted in feeling even more fatigued! I was trying to say this to Doctors and they wouldn't believe me. Instead when i was eating Food high in Cholesterol, Sweets/Cakes and wasn't exercising i was feeling great!

It all now makes sense.

sb4, merylg and whodathunkit like this.
  10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Possibly saffron might help?

sb4, merylg, JaimeS and 2 others like this.
  11. mariovitali

Greece
    @Ema

Yes it could help. Very interesting, Thanks Ema.

12. adreno

Europe
    merylg and mariovitali like this.
  13. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Is it possible that crocin equals Tylenol/acetaminophen? Or are these two different substances with the same name?

"Crocin is an analgesic and an anti-pyretic drug that goes under several brand names depending on the country that it is being marketed. In Brazil, Canada and South Korea and in the United States, Crocin is called Tylenol and Panadol. In the United Kingdom and in India it is called Crocin. Corcin contains paracetamol, which is also called acetaminophen in North America. Crocin is produced mainly in India and leads the market in its production."

14. adreno

Europe
    They must be different. Quite confusing...seems crocin is both an ingredient as well as a product name.

Ema likes this.
  15. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I think that Crocin happens to also be a brand name for an unrelated Indian Acetaminophen product.

16. mariovitali

Greece
  17. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I just noticed that Cort posted this in the newsletter back in 2010. Judging by the lack of comments, it didn't seem to generate much interest at the time...

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    sb4, whodathunkit and merylg like this.
  18. mariovitali

Greece
    I just finished another set of analysis and i was hoping that i could take some feedback from all of you regarding some questions that i have :

a) Do you feel that CFS symptoms are less noticeable while you have a Cold / Flu?
    b) Do you feel generally better during the summer and worse during the winter time?
    c) How many of the childhood illnesses have you had?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    merylg likes this.
  19. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

a) Do you feel side effects or the intensity of side effects is the same when you have a Cold / Flu?
    Not really.

b) Do you feel generally better during the summer and worse during the winter time?
    I find extremes either way to cause discomfort. Humidity is draining for me and the cold aggravates my neurological issues.

c) How many of the childhood illnesses have you had?
    All I really remember is having either Measles or Chickenpox (not sure which one) and Mono.

20. mariovitali

Greece
    Let me re-phrase the question : I've found that whenever i was sick with Flu i never had any symptoms. Does this apply to you as well?

See more popular forum discussions.