Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Unexpected Channels of Patient Misinformation

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kati, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Unexpected Channels of Patient Misinformation

Read more at the link above.
    I thought it was a bit different for our patient population, where governments, even physicians themselves (drs at large) are a source of bias.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
    Woolie, Roy S, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Very interesting article.

Sometimes academic institutions will release information without the researchers knowing about it until after the fact. It then gets picked up by the press who just copy word for word the original release.

A good book about pharmaceutical companies is Ben Goldacre's Bad Pharma.

There was a court ruling this week that gives pharmaceutical companies in several states more leeway with the information given to doctors.

I'd no idea the fines against the pharmaceutical companies for has been such a large source of revenue for the FDA.

A court ruling several years ago overturned a conviction of a pharmaceutical rep. promoting off label use of medications.

http://blogs.wsj.com/pharmalot/2015...-over-free-speech-right-to-promote-off-label/

It should be interesting to see how this is interpreted.

Barb

Kati likes this.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    That's happening in my states public hospitals as far as orthostatic intollerence issues go.

My local hospital just does a ONE MINUTE STANDING TEST if one is in the ER after a collapse they suspect is a dysautonomia or OI. Then patients are told "you are fine, you don't have any orthostatic intollerence" if something like POTS or NMH didnt show up after a minute. Shockening this is the standard test for OI issues Ive come across at the hospital. How many patients are getting told their dysautonomia collapses are some kind of psychological issue due to this?

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.