Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

unespected weight gain under supplementation

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by pattismith, Nov 4, 2017.

1. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

last few days I gain 300-400 g per day (0.66 to 0.88 pounds).

I was 51.5 kg a month ago, and I am now 54.3 kg (113 pounds to 119.7).

I also notice decreased urination, so it may be water retension;

I also read that a study showed that under Benfotiamine + B6 + B12, 8% of people had weight gain.

I moved from B6 to P5P about a month ago so I wonder if it may be the cause...

I am not hungry.

Any one on PR experienced this?

MastBCrazy likes this.
  2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Not that I know of, but I've had to watch every bite I put in my mouth for years because I'm so sedentary due to PEM, and gain weight at the drop of a hat. I have been taking P-5-P and B12 for several years and a year or 2 ago added in B1 and lately added in benfotiamine as well. So TBH I can't really tell if these affected my weight at all, although they have helped my energy. Can you post a link to the study showing weight gain?

I recently tried adding in some biotin and it seemed to boost my energy (I think thyroid) a bit, it was very nice, and then my always problematic sleep got even worse so had to stop it - arrggghhh! We can't win! :bang-head:

MastBCrazy and pattismith like this.
  3. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

thank you for answering @Mary

I don't find the study itself, but it is quoted in this document :thumbsup:

I guess I am going to pay much attention to what I put in my mouth too, and consider an endocrine check up if it doesn't resolve!

Mary likes this.
  4. PinkPanda

PinkPanda Senior Member

I also haven't experienced that.
    Are you taking magnesium? Vitamin B1 depletes my magnesium. Don't know if magnesium deficiency is related to weight gain though..

5. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

I think I found the answer to the mystery of my sudden surge of feminity :D

I have added a soy Lecithin supplement some weeks ago...:whistle:

Estrogens in the daily diet: in vitro analysis indicates that estrogenic activity is omnipresent in foodstuff and infant formula.

Abstract
    Food is a main source of exposure to endocrine active compounds, many of which have been linked to adverse health effects. Phytoestrogens, especially from soy, are the major dietary source of estrogenicity. However, foodstuff contains a variety of estrogen-like compounds that might not be detected analytically. To assess the total estrogenic activity of foodstuff, we employed the Yeast Estrogen Screen (YES). We analyzed 18 food samples and five milk-based infant formulas. Soy-based products contained potent estrogenicity of 100-1500ng estradiol equivalents per kilogram (EEQ/kg). The estrogenicity in soy-free products was far lower (10-40ng EEQ/kg). We also detected significant estrogenic activity in three infant formulas (14-22ng EEQ/kg). Furthermore, we found soy lecithin to be strongly estrogenic. It might, therefore, be a major contributor to total estrogenicity. We conclude that dietary estrogens are omnipresent and not limited to soy-based food. In an exposure assessment we calculated a total dietary intake of 27.5 and 34.0ng EEQ/d for adults and 1.46ng EEQ/d for infants. While the dietary exposure to estrogenic activity is lower than previously estimated, our results demonstrate that many food types are a source of unidentified estrogen-like compounds still awaiting toxicological evaluation.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  6. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Would a couple of lecithin tablets have this effect? I don’t eat any soy food stuff but I’m wondering about that lecithin.

pattismith likes this.
  7. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

8. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    NOW brand makes sunflower lecithin that might work as an alternative. iHerb and Vitacost both sell it.

pattismith likes this.
  9. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

@Mary, biotin gives me energy, but insomnia, too.

Mary likes this.
  10. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Actually I don't really like your post ;) - it's horrible that something that gives us energy robs of us sleep! :bang-head:

11. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

I will try this one :thumbsup: Let's see if my few unwanted extra pounds go away...

12. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I'm with you, @pattismith. I have only 3 or 4 lbs to lose, but that small amount of extra weight makes my pants less comfortable. I used to be 30 lbs overweight and would have loved to have only had this small amount to lose, so I won't whine.

pattismith likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.