1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Undiagnosed and comorbid disorders in patients with presumed chronic fatigue syndrome.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I thought this had been posted before, but I can't find it anywhere...

Undiagnosed and comorbid disorders in patients with presumed chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Mariman A, Delesie L, Tobback E, Hanoulle I, Sermijn E, Vermeir P, Pevernagie D, Vogelaers D.
    J Psychosom Res. 2013 Nov;75(5):491-6.
    doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2013.07.010.
    Epub 2013 Aug 20.

Full paper:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399913002766

If the above link takes you to the jpsychores website instead of the ScienceDirect website, then (to access the full paper) click on "Access this article on ScienceDirect" (top-right of the jpsychores webpage.)

Abstract only:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24182640
    http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(13)00276-6/abstract

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    To assess undiagnosed and comorbid disorders in patients referred to a tertiary care center with a presumed diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

METHODS:
    Patients referred for chronic unexplained fatigue entered an integrated diagnostic pathway, including internal medicine assessment, psychodiagnostic screening, physiotherapeutic assessment and polysomnography+multiple sleep latency testing. Final diagnosis resulted from a multidisciplinary team discussion. Fukuda criteria were used for the diagnosis of CFS, DSM-IV-TR criteria for psychiatric disorders, ICSD-2 criteria for sleep disorders.

RESULTS:
    Out of 377 patients referred, 279 (74.0%) were included in the study [84.9% female; mean age 38.8years (SD 10.3)]. A diagnosis of unequivocal CFS was made in 23.3%. In 21.1%, CFS was associated with a sleep disorder and/or psychiatric disorder, not invalidating the diagnosis of CFS. A predominant sleep disorder was found in 9.7%, 19.0% had a psychiatric disorder and 20.8% a combination of both. Only 2.2% was diagnosed with a classical internal disease. In the total sample, a sleep disorder was found in 49.8%, especially obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, followed by psychophysiologic insomnia and periodic limb movement disorder. A psychiatric disorder was diagnosed in 45.2%; mostly mood and anxiety disorder.

CONCLUSIONS:
    A multidisciplinary approach to presumed CFS yields unequivocal CFS in only a minority of patients, and reveals a broad spectrum of exclusionary or comorbid conditions within the domains of sleep medicine and psychiatry. These findings favor a systematic diagnostic approach to CFS, suitable to identify a wide range of diagnostic categories that may be subject to dedicated care.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Perhaps the main thing that this study illustrates is that the Fukuda criteria are crap, or that people are being misdiagnosed on a huge scale. It worries me though, as I can just see how it may be reported in the media and used in arguments to carry on pushing BS like CBT, GET and 'sleep hygiene'.

I would have thought that a representative sample subjected to expert investigation would actually turn out to have a high incidence of physical disease.

Only seeing the abstract leaves me with more questions than answers. I think the paper could do with thorough critical analysis. Thanks for posting it anyway.
    WillowJ, Valentijn and Bob like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    The full paper is available at the moment, including a PDF version.

I've edited my opening post because the main link sometimes redirects to a different website which only shows the abstract

To view the full paper, use this link:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399913002766

If this link takes you to the jpsychores website instead of the ScienceDirect website, then (to access the full paper) click on "Access this article on ScienceDirect" (top-right of the jpsychores webpage.)
    MeSci likes this.
  4. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I'm left wondering about folk like my friend, who suffered from "CFS" for 10 years before it was discovered he needed a pacemaker all along.

He had heart failure. Not "CFS".
    Tito and Bob like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    They are probably using inadequate methods to diagnose psychological disorders. I haven't read the full paper, but typically it involves questionnaires where physical symptoms are taken as proof of anxiety or depression.
  6. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Finally got it!

Not time for thorough critical analysis, but I note the following statements:

"In unequivocal CFS, no symptoms or signs of coexisting sleep or psychiatric disorders are observed."

Is there really such a thing as 'unequivocal CFS', bearing in mind what a vague and probably heterogeneous 'syndrome' it is, especially when criteria such as Fukuda are used?

The paper seems quite tautological in this respect: use vague case definitions and you get a mixed, confusing bunch of patients. Hardly surprising!

I also find it surprising that they find it surprising that a lot of people with CFS have sleep problems, anxiety and mood problems. It's hardly a surprise to anyone familiar with Phoenix Rising, where we are way ahead of these guys with links and theories as to likely reasons for these 'co-morbidities'.

The researchers also say that anxiety disorder excludes CFS. I disagree. I think that they can both have the same, physical cause. Many of us have found that a diet-and-supplement regime that improves our physical symptoms also reduces anxiety - the likely connection being gut flora.

Too tired to read any more - may look again tomorrow.
    peggy-sue and Beyond like this.
  7. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Agree that's an odd way to define CFS, I don't think psychiatric disorders are exclusionary according to Fukuda, and maybe that explains the very low rate of 'unequivocal' CFS cases @23%.

@Bob, thanks, and that linked article is now marked Open Access so should be no problem (though J Psychosomatic Research site still paywalled).

They do use questionnaires, but where a pyschological disorder is suspected they referrred to a psychiatrist, so looks sound on that front.
  8. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    All things considered, are you absolutely convinced about that, Simon? :)
    Simon, MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  9. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    seems waaaay to subjective.and not very rigorous to me.
    peggy-sue and Bob like this.
  10. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I thought sleep disorders were common among us CSFers, and not necessarily exclusionary. Especially since "unexplained fatigue" is hardly diagnostic.
    JAH, peggy-sue, aimossy and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.