• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Understanding terminology / A call for buzzwords

Ren

Subject: Understanding terminology / A call for buzzwords

Short version: Certain words and phrases seem to surface/re-surface in the biopsychosocial model and the government texts supporting/endorsing this model. Words/phrases like "illness" (vs disease), "medically unexplained", "evidence-based", "communication","patient-centered", etc. So, I wanted to ask others to share any words/phrases they've noticed and/or feel are central to such texts. As always, thank you!

------------------

Long version: A bit ago, I posted some general info on North Carolina gastro-and-psych physician Douglas Drossman (and his healthcare company - DrossmanCare). Drossman has served on three (if I remember correctly) IOM Gulf-War-and-Health committees, including most recently GW&H Treatment for Chronic Multisystem Illness (2013).

Also on this committee was "WAYNE JONAS, President and CEO, Samueli Institute, Alexandria, VA" (p.v).

From http://www.samueliinstitute.org/, "Samueli Institute is a non-profit research organization supporting the scientific exploration of healing processes and their role in medicine, with the mission of transforming health care worldwide."

"Transforming health care worldwide" caught my eye, as Drossman in a video on his DrossmanCare site said something about his hopes for the DrossmanCare model to shape the future of Western health.

And from amazon.com, "Wayne Jonas is a previous director of the NIH Center for Complementary and Alternative Therapies (now office), and still a very highly respected and highprofile name in CAM. He is also a co-editor of a forthcoming CL book on CAM research." http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Inten...9575016?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174592756&sr=1-2 (Note also in comments, someone claiming to be a chapter author references his expertise in "paranormal" healing.)

CAM = Complimentary and Alternative Medicine / (CL?)

See also this Samueli Institute book (under "books") on the cost-effectiveness of their model and it as a means to move healthcare "forward" and "in the right direction." http://www.amazon.com/Evaluating-Economics-Complementary-Integrative-Medicine/dp/1479390356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350933187&sr=8-1&keywords=evaluating the economics of complementary and integrative medicine

I can't help but wonder if a close reading of GW&H (2013) would reveal this text to describe its central "problem" in terms which can be allegedly and exclusively solved by the likes of DrossmanCare and the Samueli Institute, for example. (Like an IOM infomercial - InfOMercial - script.)

Anyway, I wanted to make a request for buzz words and themes, so to speak. For example, Drossman and Jonas seem to focus on implementing some future and transformative vision/definition of healthcare.
"Communication" is also repeatedly used on the DrossmanCare site - and calls for "communication" show up in GW&H (2013).

Another term discussed in the forum has been "evidence-based medicine" which, as far as a literature survey goes, is essentially (if I understand the criticism correctly) a summary of existing bias - presented now though as a summary of the "best" information. Does that sound right?

And finally, another term which seems repeated is "patient-centered care", and so I thought that just as "evidence-based medicine" has been critiqued by the patient community - that this might be another term which needs to be more fully and honestly discussed.

There's a brief wiki article on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient-centered_care - which discusses it as related to "new" healthcare models, including an IOM definition quoted as:

"Providing care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs, and values, and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions."

I just thought that our (patient community) argument will be more powerful if we address and frame parts of our argument at least in IOM terms. If IOM emphasized patient-centered care, then we (the patient community) need to emphasize that a biopsychosocial hijacking of ME is the very opposite of patient-centered care and explain why. Just brainstorming...

Added note: As with Drossman, Jonas' own research/papers are used as references in the 2013 IOM text.

Last edited: