• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ultra ultra low dose naltrexone

Bdeep86

I am looking to calm down microglial hyper activation. I tried using LDN at a dose of .25 and some times even smaller than that. It didn't help and maybe made things worse. I believe its mostly due to its effects on the opiods, which can be quite high in people with neuroinflammation. Now I am wondering if its possible to try even the smallest of small doses to correct this issue, even a fraction of .25. Has anyone ever attempted this?

Hip

I am looking to calm down microglial hyper activation.

See this comprehensive list of microglial activation inhibitors:

Chronic Microglial Activation in ME/CFS, And Its Possible Treatment Using Microglial Inhibitors

I believe its mostly due to its effects on the opiods, which can be quite high in people with neuroinflammation.

In addition to its effect on the opioid growth factor (met-enkephalin) system, low-dose naltrexone (LDN) also appears to block the TLR-4 receptor on microglia, inhibiting microglial activation. 1 Note that LDN may not work unless you also take vitamin D3.

And on the subject of opioids, interestingly, quite a few ME/CFS patients also get significant improvements in the days after taking opioid pain relief medications. See:

Narcotic (Opioid) Pain Medications Relieve Some of my Neurological ME/CFS Symptoms

Last edited:

Bdeep86

Thank you @Hip ive looked at this list extensively. I'm going to try many, wish i could get ahold of dextro naltrexone. Many of the things on this list didn't work for me so far or had bad side effects.

Hip

Thank you @Hip ive looked at this list extensively. I'm going to try many, wish i could get ahold of dextro naltrexone. Many of the things on this list didn't work for me so far or had bad side effects.

There are in fact several different possible strategies contained within that list of drugs and supplements which inhibit microglia:

• You could try some of the drugs and supplements that simply lower microglial activation.

• You could try countering some of the factors that increase microglial activation. Lipopolysaccharide, interferon gamma and homocysteine all increase microglial activation.

• You could try some of the drugs and supplements that lower the release of inflammatory cytokines from microglia.

• You could try some of the drugs and supplements that lower the release of inflammatory cytokines from astrocytes. In studies, coxsackievirus B, a virus strongly linked to ME/CFS, has been found to infect astrocytes, and then cause the chronic release of inflammatory cytokines from these infected astrocytes. So perhaps inhibiting the release of inflammatory cytokines from astrocytes might be beneficial.

• You could try some of the drugs and supplements that help switch activated microglia from their neurodestructive mode (the "kill mode") to the neuroprotective mode (the "heal and repair" mode). Activated microglia do not have to operate in this neurodestructive mode, they can also operate in the neuroprotective mode. Drugs and supplements that help switch activated microglia to the neuroprotective mode include: genistein, sulforaphane and artesunate.

Misfit Toy

My doctor talked to me about trying this for the Sjogrens. I need to look at the dose. I think it's low, but need to be sure.

He said you can only take it at night. The last time I tried it, I could not sleep a wink on it.

pattismith

I tryed LDN and was very bad with strong headache. Many supplements give me this side effect, but Naltrexone seems to be one of the worse.

I went from 2 mg/day to 0.1 mg/day and there was no difference (maybe more dizzyness and nausea at higher doses).

I was on Tramadol several years for pain relief and it never improved my brain: I had headache/dizzyness/nausea/weight loss from it, even with low doses (I never took more than 50 mg per day at my higher consumption).

I give up with this one for now....:depressed: