1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK: Why is my nose running in late Aug/early Sept? Pollen? What?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Sasha, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I thought that cutting out gluten a few months ago had rid me instantly and forever of not being able to lie on my side at night because my nose clogged up with sinusitis but my nose is now runny enough again that for the last few weeks, I can't lie on my side at night and breathe!

Is it some sort of hay fever/tree thing/harvest thing? What's going on in the UK now that could cause rhinitis?

2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Sasha we've had a couple of colder evenings and leaves have started falling - a few weeks ago here it was 4oC in the morning - not mega but enough to cause me to have a runny nose too - they create a mould and dust so its not like pollen - just something else our bodies don't like I think.
    I was okay before that whilst the lovely hot weather was here.

rosie26 likes this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Sorry to hear you've also got nose problems!

Our leaves are all on the trees here and my problem has been going on for a few weeks. I don't think my thing can be that.

5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Likely it's a grass pollen allergy aka hay fever. It's usually worst during harvest season. Also, as someone else said, harvest season puts mold in the air -- corn smut is a big one around here. People with ragweed allergies are having a bad time here at the moment. Don't know if you have ragweed there, though.

Sasha likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

According to the Met Office (govt meteorological office) chart, all the pollen is either done with or started too early to be my culprit.

Maybe it's harvest - our harvest season is about to finish so it will be interesting to see if my nose improves.

Corn smut! :aghhh: Never heard of it but it sounds bad!

SOC likes this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    My sister said on the phone that she was walking through pine woods today and her husband thought they were on fire because of what he thought was smoke - but it was some kind of dust or something coming off the trees. I wonder what the heck that was.

8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I would guess spores of mildew, mold, or fungus. (Are any of those redundant?)

Sasha likes this.
  9. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    cold air is what starts my sinuses playing up more severely Sasha. Reason why I dread winter. You could be reacting to cooler weather changes. ?

10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Don't think so - have had this every day since early August and it's been very hot.

I cut quinoa and buckwheat out yesterday (I'd read they can be a problem if you're gluten-sensitive even though they have been thought to be safe) and things improved. I'll try it again today. It will be a bummer if it's that - I love them! :cry:

rosie26 likes this.
  11. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    We have a lot of ragwort around here - I cut it down on our place but you see it on the m/way and lane edges - masses of it. I've always cut it down but also a lot of horses close by so I do it for their grazing too.

See more popular forum discussions.