Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK, Weds 18 Oct: Jen Brea & Omar on ITV news and in The Times with Unrest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Damn! Just went out and could have bought The Times. :)

I'm assuming the news item might be repeated on the 6:30 pm ITV news but I could be wrong. I wonder if it's been on the BBC?

In the ITV interview she sticks the boot into GET and CBT and might be back next Tues or Weds to talk again after she's been talking to Parliament, I think:

Good to see 'incurable' there, as opposed to 'curable by GET and CBT'.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-frozen-by-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-rdftnm75p

This is a big deal, to have this on mainstream UK TV news. Well done and thank you, @JenB!

2. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

@Sasha Yes, she managed to get in the important stuff. :thumbsup:

Also said she is part of the privileged 1%, which is good because it has been mentioned she could perhaps be too much a model for "yuppie flu"

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Must admit I don't see that 'yuppie flu' angle. She looks so catastrophically ill in the clip that it would take a special kind of insanity to think that this is anything to do with such a concept.

boombachi, mango, Orla and 3 others like this.
  4. jstash

jstash Senior Member

If anyone here likes the Times article and would like to send the author a message giving a thumbs up, I am happy to supply his email address via private message.

Hilary and suseq like this.
  5. Demepivo

Article was OK. Rather have it than not have it....Encourages individuals to see the film.

Couple of things people picked up on were the mould angle (perceived as hypochondria?) and the origin coming possibly from mental health problems (I don't have to elaborate!)

BTW realise that some patents too picky!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    boombachi, Dolphin, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  6. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Jan, Binkie4, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  7. jstash

jstash Senior Member

No problem. I read it early this morning so I can't remember the phrasing exactly - to me I actually read the throwing in of mental health along with a whole host of other things as a good thing.

I understand that it doesn't remove the stigma but I felt like it was treating as one of 4/5 causes rather than "this is a mental illness". Perhaps just my interpretation. I also think its placement was significant - this is the main supplement in the second biggest selling broadsheet in the UK.

Only reason I offered the email correspondence is I feel that if articles get published that tell our story and do a good job, then it's worth reminding these people that their efforts are appreciated, the same way that we'd criticise those who publish poorly researched pieces.

So just thought I'd show the reasons for my thoughts above! Totally understand the points you raised too.

boombachi, alkt, suseq and 5 others like this.
  8. FTY

FTY

Wow, she is a incredible. So unbelievably grateful to Jen for doing all of this. And to Omar. Amazing!

Jan, Jesse2233, Mtb1966 and 6 others like this.
  9. Demepivo

10. suseq

suseq

Thank you for highlighting this and posting clip and article as managed to miss both.

Agree totally with @FTY regarding Jen & Omar's incredible PR and advocacy; and massive appreciation to the ITV news team and Alistair Stewart (the newscaster) for featuring such a great interview on the main lunchtime news.

And same appreciation and thanks to Damien Whitworth for the Times piece, which I agree with @jstash is worth acknowledging in the hope that it encourages an increasing interest, awareness and understanding of this illness and it's impact.

Edit: ... and apologies for managing to mis-spell Damian's name ....

FTY, Mtb1966, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  11. Mtb1966

Mtb1966

UK
    Glad to have Jennifer on our side, her determination shines through. A very clear, concise interview. Lets hope she opens the eyes of our MP's. A shout out to Omar and all the other supportive husbands/wifes/partners. I'd be lost without my wife Liz.

Scarecrow, FTY, suseq and 3 others like this.
  12. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    This woman is smart. She has got the attention of a lot of people who have been ignoring the evidence and campaigners for decades. Hats off to her.

Thank you to @Sasha for posting the clip and @Demepivo for the link to the full text of the article

Jan, NelliePledge, suseq and 4 others like this.
  13. Demepivo

There was also a clip from Channel 5 News posted on Twitter
    (& presumably Facebook if anybody can track it down ;) )

CFS_for_19_years, Jan, Orla and 6 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Presume Channel 5 picked up on R Gervais as I think the celebrity angle would appeal great if this leverages wider publicity.

So far Unrest team are massively exceeding my expectations on the press impact.

ukxmrv, Sasha and FTY like this.
  15. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Her continuisly stressing she found help/friends online is so good with certain people stressing don't look up anything about this disease. It's just a pity this place is at such a shambles nowadays we could really stand to help so many people find answers and in the process help ourselves/advocacy.

Joh likes this.
  16. FTY

FTY

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05khqq3 really good review by Mark Komode on five live. Good for him!

Also an article in cosmo http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a12779054/what-is-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

@Demepivo thanks for sharing the Times article - really good I thought. @jstash I'd like to drop the journalist an email to say thank you.

The Unrest team are amazing. I'm actually starting to feel what a difference it makes to see myself represented in our culture in some way. Don't know how they managed to get so much publicity over here but it's really great.

17. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Demepivo, ukxmrv, Joh and 2 others like this.
  18. SamanthaJ

SamanthaJ Senior Member

sarah darwins and Joh like this.
  19. jstash

jstash Senior Member

I know I keep banging on about this, but I think it's important to contact those who do a good job on stuff like this. It sounds like Mark Kermode has a personal connection with the illness through friends / family, but all the same, here is the link to get in touch with the film show if you want to show appreciation for the review:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvdrj/contact

20. FTY

FTY

@jstash adding him to my list of people to thank!! (How nice to be in this position!) I agree, it's important to reach out and show gratitude when people have made an effort to give a good representation. @SamanthaJ @sarah darwins it really is a perfect review isn't it? Nearly brought a tear to my eye :)

SamanthaJ, Demepivo, Solstice and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.