• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK TV News - Boy from Halifax's year long wait for ME treatment

eafw

For children and teens in the early stages like this the research shows that a good amount of recovery is possible, though he will likely have to be careful for many years.

What is worrying to me is everyone telling him that his life is "destroyed". Not suprised he's crying if he's been fed this "your life is over - it's a complete tragedy" line.

They key thing right now is making sure he doen't do anything that exacerbates it, because that's all that's available, but it is his best chance.

We've had threads on here where people who have been ill since teens/early adulthood, and have been ill for many years, nearly all say that the worst thing was pushing on in those early years and remission periods.

He's not forced to end up in bed for ever, and if he gets an improvement from where he is now to "mild" then he can have a pretty good go at most things in life.

eafw

I think she takes quite a broad view of things, I seem to remember she got sacked by the NHS for not being psychiatric enough. I don't know that much about her though.

I know quite a few people who have seen these OTs when they were still working in Leeds NHS as well as at this new clinic. They do have a generally good rep amongst patients, but they are OTs not Drs and can only do "management" - which does have it's place, and is better than nothing - but we really do need the rest of the system to catch up with better tests, meds, earlier diagnosis, home care etc.

Last edited: