Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK television this morning - the Lightning Process

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kate_UK, May 11, 2011.

1. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

2. jace

jace Off the fence

England
    That is a straight up commercial for Phil Parker's Lighting Process. Totally out of order. The Lighting Process websites are under investigation by Trading Standards at this time, who say
    85% success rate claimed? Really? Check out this site The Lightning Process didn't work for me
    The video was down earlier this morning, but it is back now. Grrr.

3. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Grr, my initial thought I am not going to watch it as I know it's going to annoy me, but I relented and did - and yes it annoyed and upset me. What a push for LP, 85% positive outcome? Oh please! Such a bias report in favour of LP, no interviews with the many people who get much worse from it.

What I observed is we now have docs on tv saying yes M.e is a real, debilitating condition (so progress when they wouldn't even accept it was real), but then they go on to report that three day therapies like LP can help many as well as GET and CBT - so a long way to go still until accurate reporting is the norm...

And these reports are so harmful in generating correct awareness of M.E. This tv show is a big show in Britain and the doctor a very well known tv doc, hearing him extolling the virtues of LP is so bad and Lorraine in reference to LP going 'well you would try anything if you had M.E' yes, Lorraine people have tried LP and it has had a devastating effect. I probably need to write in to the show...

To add, the person they interviewed who claims the LP has helped her considerably described her years of being housebound as feeling 'tired', obviously I don't know the full facts of her symptoms and she may not have described her symptoms very well, but I fail to relate to the word 'tired' when describing my M.E, very ill, yes, in pain, yes, very debilitated, yes, just tired? Er, no.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Is this not false medical advertising?

5. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    The doctor on the show is the spokesperson for a diet company, Go lower, makes you wonder if he has any financial links to LP? Pure speculation, of course....

6. jace

jace Off the fence

England
  7. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks Jace. Could you share how I should phrase my complaint? How do we say that the promotion of LP is wrong? Many thanks

8. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

I think we should use the contact link to politely invite Dr Hilary Jones to the CPD accredited IiME conference next week, and to suggest that if he is unable to attend at this short notice that he could get hold of the conference DVD to view in his own time.

9. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Jace tried to do an online complaint form, can you or someone else please tell me which boxes to tick - sorry fried brain today and not much wherewithall.

10. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Good idea Kate. Where is the contact link you mentioned? Thanks

11. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Its okay thanks managed to do it, not very well but hey its still a complaint.

12. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

Naer the top of this site http://www.itv.com/lorraine/health/me-support/ is a link Contact Lorraine's team which goes to http://www.itv.com/lorraine/contactus/

13. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    oh boy.. that english situation is so bad and this is all going to make it worst. Its sooo biased that only things geared to making it look like a mental health issue are usually put into the public view.

14. Klara

Klara

Yep - lets just tell ourselves everything is ok, and it will be!

LP sounds like very expensive CBT to me, I wonder how people can charge for this. It also sounds a lot like Landmark to me... and I really don't like Landmark.

Sorry, just had to vent a little guys, this stuff really gets my blood boiling - sigh.

15. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

Anyone on twitter? Dr Jones is here http://twitter.com/#!/DrHilaryJones talking about the piece he did on ME yesterday, and Phil Parker has also posted a message there.

16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  17. jace

jace Off the fence

England
  18. Ian

Ian Senior Member

Just the very thought of the lighting process makes me vomit in my mouth a little. What a scam ! I am sure it's made Phil Parker a very rich man

19. Wildcat

Wildcat

On Dr Hilary Jones' Facebook Page to day an ME sufferer politely suggested that he might like to attend the Invest in ME international Research Conference. The post was removed from Dr Jones' FB (not by the mE sufferers). It turns out he has been invited before by Invest in ME but has declined to attend.

The whole portrayal of ME was insulting, and for Dr Jones to promote Lightning, propagate the stale old line that "ME is controversial" yet decline invitations to become more informed about ME - its shocking.

See more popular forum discussions.