1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK Research Collaborative means business

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Prof Hugh Perry (an executive member of the UK research collaborative) gave an interesting and reassuring presentation at the recent Australian conference. Amongst other things, he discussed the UK Research Collaborative's research intentions, the MRC's intentions in relation to ME, and the MRC's current funded research projects.

I'm really impressed with Hugh Perry, but I hadn't come across him before his association with the research collaborative. I happened to look him up the other day, for some reason, and came across the following which I found very impressive, and relevant to ME/CFS (It's his Southampton Uni webpage that describes his academic speciality - It's probably been posted previously, but I have a short memory):
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/biosci/about/staff/vhp.page#research

Anyone following the developments of the UK Research Collaborative would probably be interested in reading the section about Prof Hugh Perry's presentation in Dr Ros Vallings' report of the Australian conference. (Tom Kindlon posted it as a Tweet.) It's contains lots of interesting info:
    https://twitter.com/TomKindlon/status/409762381439725568
    Long Tweet:
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rt43lk

I've extracted the info about Perry's presentation:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    aimossy, Firestormm and Simon like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    After that positive observation, now to a negative reflection.
    I've been thinking about the S&K ME/CFS Society's recruitment to the research collaborative.
    They are well known for dogmatically promoting the cognitive-behavioural model of illness, and supporting the cognitive-behavioural proponents.
    I reckon they might be the only local group in the country who is well known for taken a strong and rigid stance about this.
    So is it simply a coincidence that they've been recruited, or was there a purposeful drive to get a patient group on board who would side with the cognitive-behavioural proponents?
    I can't help having strong feelings that it was the latter.
    I do find this development quite irritating, and not at all positive.
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Prof Hugh Perry: "Treatment has been geared towards support and symptom control."

I hope this is a telling insight into the thinking behind Profs Hugh Perry and Stephen Holgate re CBT/GET.

Edit: i.e. It implicitly suggests that CBT/GET are not curative and do not address the underlying disease mechanism or cause of illness.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    In what way, Bob? Sorry you lost me.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I wonder could Stephen Holgate have asked him to speak for him?
  6. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I would be surprised - Hugh Perry is quite a big player in his own right, and he was talking about his core research area, the link between inflammation and the brain.

Professor V Hugh Perry @ Southampton Uni | Research interests:
    Flower1978, aimossy and Firestormm like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I must have missed your question.

By saying that current treatments are geared towards 'support and symptom control', it suggests that he is not of the opinion that CBT/GET are curative or that they address the underlying disease mechanism or cause.
    Simon, Valentijn and Firestormm like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

one problem with that response is that it indicates a lack of awareness over the problems with misleading claims about the curative nature of thee interventions.
    Valentijn likes this.
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Perhaps, or perhaps he just doesn't want to explicitly attack any colleagues?
    Whichever, it's still good to see that he is aware of the limitations of CBT/GET.
    Simon likes this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's a bad sign too imo!

Attacking dodgy colleagues is the most worthwhile thing to be done in CFS research!
    Valentijn and biophile like this.
  11. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I understand why researchers might not want to launch explicit attacks on other researchers, and make themselves enemies within their community.
    And the psych-lobby always seem to get the upper-hand when when in battle, so making explicit attacks could cause major problems for the whistle-blower (for want of a better phrase), and it would probably be futile anyway.
    The psych-lobby use smear tactics, and get people removed from their positions, and they get funding withdrawn.
    (Remember Jonathan Kerr?)
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  12. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Robust debate is a feature of some very strong life science areas :). On the other hand, what matters most is getting high quality, relevant research going and both Hugh Perry and Stephen Holgate are being very helpful there. So saying that what's needed is a focus on causal molecular pathways, and that current approaches amount to symptom control, may be poor spectator sport but I think it does show they understand the issues and are moving things in a new and more helpful direction.
    aimossy and Firestormm like this.

See more popular forum discussions.