• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Research Collaborative Conference in Newcastle: 13th - 14th October

eafw

Anyway ... is anyone listening to Prof Perkins on at the moment, am wondering if she's going to get to a point, rather than just descriptions of some people's experience (and was the internet board she was quoting PR ?)

SOC

A thought about including BPS idiots researchers in the conference (and collaborative) ~~ How embarrassing is it going to become to stand up at a conference chock full of information about biological evidence in ME/CFS from high-powered international researchers and keep talking about your pokey little low-quality research claiming false illness beliefs and somaticism? Seriously, they look like.. well, idiots. They have to see that eventually. Maybe. Or at least everyone else, including the media will. Compare and contrast has it's benefits when evaluating different approaches. Even politicians and the media are not completely blind to that.

Perhaps the collaborative organizers are simply letting the BPS school shoot itself down. "Who wants to go to the MRC conference this year and look like an idiot? You? You?" {crickets}

Happy to ask questions as long as they r not negative towards specific research regardless of what our views might be
This strikes me as odd. "We must not ask questions about Nazism and white supremacy because all viewpoints are equally valid. We don't want to be negative, now do we?" o_O There is a limit to acceptance of differing viewpoints.

In some ways this reminds me of the Afghan government trying to include the Taliban in their political process in order to get past the violence and move forward. The hope was that by allowing them some say, they would begin to cooperate with everyone else. In case anybody didn't notice, it's not working. Some groups cannot be negotiated with. Their position is mutually exclusive to other positions. They cannot exist together.

The conference sounds like it's going great! :thumbsup: Three cheers for the organizers and participants! :balloons::balloons::balloons:

eafw

Someone called Mark Edwards talking now about an MRC neuroscience project. Sickness response, looking at brain activation when people given typhoid vaccine, network of structures (insula, intraceptive network)

These networks seem to be involved in inflammatory responses, they plan to look at this in CFS vs controls vs other conditions using brain scans.

Bob

I'll just point out that Sonya doesn't have to livesteam the conference or tweet anything about biomedical research. The fact that she is, and is tweeting opinions from the conference that ME is a medical illness etc, suggests a lack of bias to me. It's not easy to get everything perfect when tweeting live from a conference. I know that Action for ME get things badly wrong, but we are being given unbiased open access to this conference and I think credit is due.

Last edited:

Bob

This seems to be the new MRC funding announcement...

(Note, it's Dr Mark Edwards, not to be confused with Prof Jonathan Edwards.)

"Dr Mark Edwards confirmed @The_MRC funding for his new research into a unified mechanism for functional neurological symptoms #CMRC2015"
https://twitter.com/SonyaChowdhury/status/653966037986213888

"Dr Edwards #CMRC2015 is @UCLIoN Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Neurologist at @uclh National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery"
https://twitter.com/SonyaChowdhury/status/653966617240563713

"Edwards: what happens 2 brain networks when ppl w #mecfs experience post exertional malaise? Study 20 #mecfs w 20 comtrols #CMRC2015"
https://twitter.com/SonyaChowdhury/status/653968230386679812

"Edwards: how does the brain go wrong in neurological conditions like #mecfs #CMRC2015 need to understand more about mechanism"
https://twitter.com/SonyaChowdhury/status/653966806030372864

"Edwards: post-exertional malaise is something more than PE fatigue. Key symptom in #mecfs #cmrc2015"
https://twitter.com/SonyaChowdhury/status/653967276257996800

Marco

Grrrrrrr!

1. [*]
    Sonya Chowdhury ‏@SonyaChowdhury 6 hrs6 hours ago
    General: cognitive functions problematic in #mecfs patients - role of sensory gating? #CMRC2015

[*] Sonya Chowdhury ‏@SonyaChowdhury 6 hrs6 hours ago
    Whitney: also found fatigue score correlations with #mecfs patients - tentative thoughts now being outlined #CMRC2015
    [*]
    Sonya Chowdhury ‏@SonyaChowdhury 6 hrs6 hours ago
    General: increased grey matter found in #mecfs patients' brains; reduced in grey matter density in right PHG CMRC2015

General: study has 22 #mecfs and 22 matched controls scanned in 3Tesla MRI scanner

Whitney General sharing research study in brain study at Bristol Uni #CMRC2015
That looks interesting!

eafw

I'll just point out that Sonya doesn't have to livesteam the conference or tweet anything about biomedical research. The fact that she is, and is tweeting opinions from the conference that ME is a medical illness etc, suggests a lack of bias to me. It's not easy to get everything perfect when tweeting live from a conference. I know that Action for ME get things badly wrong, but we are being given unbiased open access to this conference and I think credit is due.

Doesn't "have to" do it ??

She is the CEO of one the most high-profile ME charities in the UK. She and AfME are very involved in the CMRC, and this is a flagship event for them. Considering that **this is her job** I'd say that publicising the conference, organising the livestreaming of it and reporting on it (eg via twitter) are things that are firmly inside her remit.

snowathlete

Someone called Mark Edwards talking now about an MRC neuroscience project. Sickness response, looking at brain activation when people given typhoid vaccine, network of structures (insula, intraceptive network)

These networks seem to be involved in inflammatory responses, they plan to look at this in CFS vs controls vs other conditions using brain scans.

Intriguing. I wonder why typhoid vaccine has been singled out?

Can anyone clarify Julia Newton's stated justification for using Fukuda Criteria rather than Canadian? I've lost track of her talk.

What Julia said seemed like a jumbled answer. Why not use the Canadian criteria in research?

Its all very well talking about subtypes, but do they mean subtypes of the CCC (or ICC) or subtypes of Fukuda?

eafw

Prof Newton just made an interesting comment about IV injections of fluid helping with low plasma volume and heart function. More in her talk tomorrow, don't know if it is one that will be broadcast or not