Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK Research Collaborative Conference in Newcastle: 13th - 14th October

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by charles shepherd, Mar 26, 2015.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I do not see what is wrong with that.

2. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    To me, the surety that they have ruled out organic causes, and that the disorder is therefore psychogenic is a dangerous one to hold. I don't see that perspective helping patients or indeed medicine. The only people I have met in my career in health who have been told they have functional neurological disorders were very distressed by symptoms and had been left without hope of help in many ways. What's so different from how we are perceived?

3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Where do you see that in the article?

4. Wildcat

Wildcat

In the word psychogenic.

MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Understanding of the differential diagnosis, which is broad and includes many organic causes (eg, stroke), is essential to make an early and accurate diagnosis to prevent complications and initiate appropriate management.

6. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    The point being made is that organic causes need to be ruled out.... Which in their view means that once known organic causes are eliminated, only psychogenic disorder remains. No apparent room for the view than these issues might be due to an unknown organic disorder.

Hutan, MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  7. Wildcat

Wildcat

8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Can I say that my reading of Dr. M Edwards' work - elsewhere - is that he is very firmly of the belief that these disorders are indeed of psychological origin.

The reasoning is similar to ME, but actually far more damming of the patients themselves. He argues that there may be a genuine, temporary movement problem, which resolves, but the anxious/depressed/somatizing/obsessive/impressionable patient remains firmly and powerfully convinced the problems persists, and adjusts his/her movements in order to fulfill this expectation.

The apparent neurological sophistication of some of the work can sometimes serve to conceal this very core idea underlying his theory.

Jeckylberry, Hutan, SOC and 5 others like this.
  9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

@Cheshire, thinking of you and everyone in France right now.
    peace for paris.jpg

SOC, Wildcat, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  10. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I would like to know what he was talking about, with at least one example because, despite having read a wide range of webpages campaigning against psychoquackery (does that term make me one of the guilty ones?) and rebutting fraudulent or nonsensical journal papers, I have seen nothing that fits the description 'harassment' or 'whipping up a frenzy'. Yes, of course there have been a few intemperate remarks, but you get that everywhere and I don't condone it.

BurnA and Woolie like this.
  11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    This is Stone's weird website. I particularly 'recommend' this page to those who need convincing of his implacably psychogenic stance. A little less than halfway down he claims that "Most experts believe that these symptoms exist at the interface between the brain and mind". o_O

About halfway down he helpfully gives a list under the heading 'What other names have been used to describe these symptoms?'

I think that leaves no room for doubt.

Woolie and Wildcat like this.
  12. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    This is an interesting set of e-mails including those from Profs Wessely and White, Dr Crawley and others relating the inside story of the launch of the Collaborative that was posted by Tymes Trust. Enjoy!

MEMum, Woolie and BurnA like this.
  13. richio76

richio76

I'm absolutely certain that with a correct and early diagnosis and with the right advice (rather than the 'just get on with it and exercise as much as you can' bobbins I did get) I would have recovered. Indeed, I improved in the first 2/3 months as it was the summer holidays from university and I was back playing some sport and feeling reasonably well. But Uni started up, I thought I'd be ok and threw myself headlong into it, ploughing on as advised despite worsening symptoms. The result was me in a bed for seven years and enormous pain and disability now (with a milder period in the middle). But I would have recovered if I'd been told to keep taking it easy for a while. ME is a chronic illness for most, but recovery in the early stages at least is certainly possible. After a longer period of time, I know of very very few who have made a meaningful recovery.

Vasha, MeSci, Sidereal and 1 other person like this.
  14. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

oh my, @Countrygirl, this is extraordinary reading! Some gems, for those not great with longer texts:

I TOLD YOU THEY WAS ORGANISED!!!!

15. SOC

SOC Senior Member

:mad::mad::mad:
    :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Just when you think they can't possibly be as bad as you're imagining....

16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

That looks to me awfully like an organised conspiracy.

:p:p:p

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    MEMum, ukxmrv, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The website is very strange and badly made too - impossible to read on my high-resolution screen as I can't zoom in at all. Obviously programmed by someone who doesn't believe in standards or has knowledge of accessibility.

MeSci likes this.
  18. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    It has actually improved - previously the pages didn't have their own URLs, and you couldn't do word searches on the pages!

Woolie likes this.
  19. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

UK Research Collaborative Conference in Newcastle: October 14th and 15th 2015

The first part of the official conference report, which concentrates on the presentations on neuropathology and neuroimaging in ME/CFS, is now available to download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7UzrU_BPprNQ3BVTm5Gclh0RFk/view?pli=1

The full MEA summary can also be downloaded from the MEA website:
    http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2015/10/global-mecfs-research-22-october-2015/

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA
    Board member, UK Research Collaborative

MEMum, Scarecrow and Woolie like this.
  20. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Five years on from that statement, this has just turned up almost word for word on the letters page of today's ME Association "Essential" magazine. Which begs the question, why?

Wildcat, MEMum and Esther12 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.