The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK: Reith Lectures - The Future of Medicine, R4 9am Tues 25 Nov - (1) Why Doctors Fail

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sasha, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Looks very interesting indeed - four lectures on all sorts of aspects on the future of medicine. This first looks especially relevant to PWME.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/6F2X8TpsxrJpnsq82hggHW/dr-atul-gawande-2014-reith-lectures

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I will have to look into this. Sounds similar to my book. I will be focusing on ME as a case example though.

Sasha likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Well, I listened to this just now and wasn't especially enlightened except for a statement that we have 15 organ systems and there are 60,000 individual things that can go wrong with us. :eek:

Esther12 likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is the transcript: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio4/transcripts/2014_reith_lecture1_boston.pdf

Actually I think its a very good lecture, though limited. But then again there are three more coming. He touches on several issues that will be major themes in my book.

However this is largely a philosophical presentation, though grounded in real world examples. So many might not get very much from it. Its really about a very few points, examined and expanded on over a long lecture.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Esther12 and Sasha like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just listened to this morning's episode, which was mostly about the use of checklists in medicine (was has had spectacular results - it's a very interesting topic indeed).

Brilliant! Worth listening to just for the amazing story he tells at the beginning.

Can't recommend highly enough.

Helen likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.