International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12: The World Will Know
Did you know that May 12 belongs to us? Lots of us are aware of this. We share the buzz on it amongst ourselves. We add blue ribbons to profile pictures. We raise our voices, join our hands, mount the few podiums available to us and tug at the sleeve of the rest of the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK Prescription Costs

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by helsbells, May 11, 2010.

1. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    Does anyone know if we can claim a medical exemption certificate on the basis of having:

A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months

For the seriously affected is this an option? It has never occured to me to try before on this basis.

2. jace

jace Off the fence

England
    It's worth a shot, Hels. If you have higher rate mobility DLA, it's hard to see how they could argue.... but if all the paperwork sends you into a cold sweat, then maybe the game is not worth the candle.

3. Min

Min Guest

UK
    Yes, I have this because I use a wheelchair when out & need a carer to push it. The form was available from my GP, who had to sign it.

4. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    Thank-you for helpful replies - it literally never occured to me! I will discuss it with my Dr - Thanks again :)

5. Athene

Athene ihateticks.me

Italy
    If this fails, you can get a prepayment certificate very easily. You pay an up-front amount for the year, if you are sure you'll be paying for lots of presriptions during the year which amount to more than the certificate cost. My mother has one of these and saves hundreds of pounds.

But she also has disability allowance because of her ME, so I am going to suggest she tries for an exemption certificate. Thanks for the idea!

See more popular forum discussions.