Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK: NHS approves Cefaly electrical stimulation device for migraine

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sasha, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    My mum sent me a cutting from the Daily Wail about this, and I wondered if anyone had tried it. I think it's been on the market for a while but only just approved by NICE.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...sery-millions-approved-NHS.html#ixzz4B1tJ6X6U

ryan31337 likes this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    If anyone is better than me at internet searching, I'd be curious to see the clinical trials that NICE used to assess this device.

ryan31337 and sarah darwins like this.
  3. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Thanks @Sasha.

Might have to take a punt on this and share with the fellow migraineurs in my family, any excuse to ditch the migraine prophylaxis with its unpleasant side effects...

Sasha likes this.
  4. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I have had the Cefaly for over 2 years with mixed results. It has never stopped my migraines from starting for the past couple of years, only Imigran will do this.

Sometimes it helps to use it when I have taken painkillers to make them more effective but all in all it hasn't worked for me.

The other downside is that the electrodes are pretty rubbish. They don't last very long however well you look after them and 3 replacement ones cost around £19. The electrodes that are in my TENS machine last miles longer and are very inexpensive so I do think it's something the company should address.

If you have a severe migraine and the electrodes are wearing out a bit they can severely irritate me so much so I cannot wait for the 20 minutes to end and have to tear it off. It can feel most unpleasant.

The interesting thing is that when I first got it and I used it every morning on the 2nd setting it did seem to stop headaches developing but for whatever reason it just stopped working for me.

ryan31337 and Sasha like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks for your experience, @bertiedog. My concern with this is if it would somehow lower your threshold for migraines in the longer term, and from what I've read, the RCTs haven't followed patients up for very long (which is why I'm keen to go to the source material). The fact that you adapted to it makes me concerned about this risk (though I'm no biologist and don't know whether that's a reasonable fear).

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Migraine is another illness where it's a huge burden on sufferers and on the economy, and is very prevalent, but hardly gets any research: and there seems to be considerable variation among people in what causes it (high-tyramine foods are a definite trigger for me) - pointing to a need for the sort of work that Ron Davis is doing for ME/CFS, looking at the underlying molecular mechanisms and aiming at personalised medicine, IMO.

bertiedog likes this.
  7. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.