• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK newspaper article re HPV vaccine - adverse events

Bob

Recent article in a mainstream UK national newspaper...
It primarily discusses the HPV vaccine but also gives figures for adverse events for a range of other vaccines.

Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
The Independent 31st May 2015
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...utine-school-cancer-vaccination-10286876.html

Extracts:
In the HPV category alone, ADRs numbered 8,228, of which 2,587 were classified as “serious” – defined by several criteria, including whether it resulted in hospitalisation or was deemed life threatening.
“Every visit to a doctor was met with rolled eyes,” said Mrs Ryalls. “Every mention of the HPV vaccination was met with hostility and ridicule. We were eventually referred to a local paediatrician who told her to push herself to get back to normal – ‘We all feel tired in the mornings, Emily’ was one of the remarks regarding her complete exhaustion.”

Two years after falling ill, Emily was eventually referred to Dr Pradip Thakker at Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham; he used a tilt table test to diagnose PoTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), a condition where moving from lying down to standing up causes an abnormally high heart rate. By this time Emily was able to manage only three to four hours of school a week.
Dr Martinez-Lavin said PoTS and fibromyalgia are among the diseases he believes have developed after HPV vaccination, and that clinicians should be aware of the possible association between HPV vaccination and the development of these “difficult to diagnose” painful syndromes.
The MHRA said it had no concerns on the numbers of ADRs related to the HPV vaccine and that the “expected benefits in preventing illness and death from HPV infection outweigh the known risks”.

The agency said: “The vast majority of suspected side effect reports for HPV vaccine relate to known risks of vaccination that are well described in the available product information. The reporting rate of suspected side effects, which are not necessarily proven to be caused by the vaccine, is influenced by many factors and expected to differ across vaccines. The greater number of reports for HPV vaccine does not necessarily mean that it is any less safe than other vaccines.

“Reports of PoTS following HPV vaccine remain under review by EU regulators. PoTS can occur naturally in adolescent girls and, at present, there is insufficient evidence to indicate that the vaccine is a cause. This will remain under review.”

Last edited:

Bob

“Every visit to a doctor was met with rolled eyes,” said Mrs Ryalls. “Every mention of the HPV vaccination was met with hostility and ridicule. We were eventually referred to a local paediatrician who told her to push herself to get back to normal – ‘We all feel tired in the mornings, Emily’ was one of the remarks regarding her complete exhaustion.”
Familiar?!?

charles shepherd

We have a number of parents who predate the onset of an ME/CFS like illness to this vaccine - even though an MHRA report has dismissed any such link:
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/s-par/documents/websiteresources/con096797.pdf

I was speaking to one such parent after the Invest conference on Friday and we are looking at whether a proper epidemiological study could be done to investigate the role of vaccinatins as trigger factors in ME/CFS

MEA info on the link between vaccines and ME/CFS:

Anecdotal evidence indicates that a number of vaccinations are occasionally capable of either triggering ME/CFS, or causing an exacerbation of pre-existing symptoms, and the UK CMO Working Group report acknowledged (in section 3.3.2) that vaccinations can occasionally act as a trigger factor in the development of ME/CFS. The CMO report can be e-accessed using the document archive on the MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk

The link is biologically plausible but there hasn't been any really robust research carried out to investigate the role of vaccinations as immune system stressors in the causation of ME/CFS.

Two fairly recent published reports of interest relate to an MHRA review of HPV vaccine (Cervarix) and ME/CFS >>

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/NewsCentre/Pressreleases/CON316330

and two case reports re Swine Flu vaccine and ME/CFS:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...accination-bmj-rapid-responses-21-march-2014/

I have a longstanding interest in the role of vaccinations in ME/CFS and my patient evidence on the subject, which is now quite substantial and includes a number of health workers who were vaccinated almost as a condition of employment, indicates that hepatatis B vaccine appears to play an unusual and significant role here

This is supported by the results of the MEA website poll on the roll of vaccinations as trigger factors for ME/CFS (see below)

The MEA has an information leaflet which summaries the research evidence relating to vaccinations and ME/CFS.

Similar information is summarised and referenced on page 41 of the MEA purple booklet.

MEA WEBSITE POLL:

• If your ME/CFS was triggered by a vaccination, which vaccine was involved?
    • Hepatitis B (57%, 338 Votes)

• Flu (9%, 51 Votes)

• Other (7%, 41 Votes)

• BCG (6%, 33 Votes)

• Cannot remember (5%, 31 Votes)

• Combination (5%, 27 Votes)

• Tetanus (3%, 18 Votes)

• Meningitis (3%, 17 Votes)

• MMR (2%, 14 Votes)

• Polio (2%, 10 Votes)

• Hepatitis A (1%, 7 Votes)

• Typhoid (0%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 591
Start Date: April 30, 2010 @ 3:20 pm
End Date: June 2, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

eafw

We have a number of parents who predate the onset of an ME/CFS like illness to this vaccine - even though an MHRA report has dismissed any such link

I am pro-vax as a rule (really do not want to live in a world plagued by smallpox, measles, rubella and all the attendant death and disability), but if there really are the number of adverse events claimed for HPV then it is looking quite dodgy.

Problem at the moment is getting decent data on it and working past all the conspiracy theories on one side and pharma/government denials on the other.

Wayne

(really do not want to live in a world plagued by smallpox, measles, rubella and all the attendant death and disability)

Hi @eafw

You may want to check out some of the work by Dr. Thomas Levy. He's done extensive research on Vitamin C and its ability to cure most of these diseases. He regularly makes references to Dr. Kenner, the 1940's country doctors who cured many children with polio using IV Vit. C [160 out of 160 if I remember correctly] even those with advanced cases.

If his research and conclusions are correct, then it would seem to be highly probable that possible vaccination "adverse effects" [sounds way too benign to me] could be avoided just by using Vitamin C to treat these kinds of diseases when they show up. The scientific literature on this is quite compelling.

Last edited:

ahmo

If his research and conclusions are correct, then it would seem to be highly probable that possible vaccination "adverse effects" [sounds way too benign to me] could be avoided just by using Vitamin C to treat these kinds of diseases when they show up. The scientific literature on this is quite compelling.
:jaw-drop::thumbsup: