• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: New Work Capability Assessment Questionnaire: ESA50: Neurological conditions

Firestormm

I mentioned on this thread a recent amendment to the WCA that would appear to want to separate 'physical' from 'mental' and that the latter would presumably apply to neurological conditions, or conditions that cause cognitive problems for example i.e. it would be bad for us.

It would appear that the new ESA50 does refer to neurological under Part 2 (see below) the section that deals with cognitive issues and would therefore seem at odds with this proposed amendment. I've asked Dr Shepherd for some clarification (assuming he is able to clarify).

Also worth noting - and I've only had a cursory glance - that the words "reliably, safely" are used in at least the physical assessment and in relation to the neurological/mental assessment I see they now use "you must be able to do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, as often as you need to and in a reasonable length of time" which seems bloody fair to me.

Does this represent real progress? Maybe too early to tell. I'd need to properly read through the form. I think that the Fluctuating Conditions Group recommendations have yet to take effect. In as much as I can remember these proposals are still to be tested by the DWP.

Of course it will make buggar all difference if as a patient I am not considered to suffer with a disability that affects my cognitive function. But I have to say that my assessments have been quite relevant in the past - if erroneously concluded and in need of successful appeal.

We shall see...

January 2013. Work Capability Questionnaire ESA50

e.g.

Part 1 - Physical functions

Q.

How far can you move safely and repeatedly on level ground without needing to stop?
For example, because of tiredness, pain, breathlessness or lack of balance.

A.
50 metres – this is about the length of 5 double-decker buses, or twice the length of an average public swimming pool.
100 metres – this is about the length of a football pitch.
200 metres or more
It varies

Part 2 - Mental, cognitive and intellectual functions

To answer Yes to any of the following questions, you must be able to do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, as often as you need to and in a reasonable length of time.

By mental, cognitive and intellectual functions we mean things like mental illness, learning
difficulties and the effects of head injuries or other brain or neurological conditions.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Also worth noting - and I've only had a cursory glance - that the words "reliably, safely" are used in at least the physical assessment and in relation to the neurological/mental assessment I see they now use "you must be able to do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, as often as you need to and in a reasonable length of time" which seems bloody fair to me.

This is absolutely key. If this had been on the form all along, a whole lot more PWME would have filled it in in a way that would have made it much more likely that they'd have got their entitlements.

Firestormm

What I like about this form is that with the words clearly said, it means that more people who are cognitively challenged might stand a better chance of understanding the bloody thing.

They don't send the Guide to Completion with the damn form so how the hell are people supposed to know elsewise? And even that Guide didn't spell it out.

I mean a blind person gets Braille. So why the heck has it taken this long to get plain english?! :)