• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK members - Please take this Survey on Freedom of Information

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
This is from the organisation 38 degrees, and is probably only available to people in the UK.
Before Christmas, the government was quietly planning to water down our Freedom of Information laws: our right to know what our politicians are up to, and how they’re spending our public money.

Fast-forward a few months and they seem to be backing off because of a big public backlash. Together we built a massive petition and tens of thousands of us have written in to the government consultation. One minister’s quoted in the press saying; “Nobody in the Government wants to touch this now, it’s a very hot political potato.”

None of this is a done deal - yet. But we’re having impact.

We have a chance to win this on Wednesday (EDIT - 20th January 2016). One of the 38 Degrees team, Blanche Shackleton, has been invited to give evidence about protecting FOI laws to the people who are advising the government on this. They’re in the final throes of putting together their recommendations. So this is our opportunity to really hammer home where we stand.

Blanche wants to make sure she's representing as many people as possible on Wednesday. So please can you take 3 minutes to let her know your thoughts on our right to freedom of information, via a short survey? Click here to go to the short survey:

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/foi-meeting-comments

Note - you may want to say 'don't know' to some questions where such an option is not provided. There is a box at the end where you can state this, where it asks for any other comments or similar.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@MeSci, would you like to edit your thread title to make it clear this is a call to action, rather than the results of a survey?

Maybe something like "Do this 38 Degrees survey to protect Freedom of Information Act"?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@MeSci, would you like to edit your thread title to make it clear this is a call to action, rather than the results of a survey?

Maybe something like "Do this 38 Degrees survey to protect Freedom of Information Act"?
Good point - have changed it - hope this is better.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Good point - have changed it - hope this is better.

I'd be inclined to mention 38 Degrees in the title, since they're well known and people will know they won't be wasting their time with a survey whose results won't be looked at. Up to you, though!