• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: MEA campaign to 'Tell GPs the truth about ME' - donate &/or dob in a GP

Sasha

Fine, thank you
There's the chance to get your donation doubled if you do it around 10am today, Saturday 8 Dec, though the campaign runs until Dec 19.

Go straight here to read about it and donate:

http://new.thebiggive.org.uk/project/17686

Basically, you can donate to get the MEA's clinical booklet sent out to GPs, backed by a big press campaign.

You can also send the MEA the name of any GP you think needs the booklet. There'll be no 'naming and shaming'! You can do that without donating.

Here's the blurb on the Big Give site:

Need

Many GPs are uninformed about ME/CFS or still dismiss it as a non-existent illness or believe that it is a psychological illness that can be treated using psychological methods, which it is not. This continuing lack of knowledge and these misguided beliefs, and the use of psychological treatments which fail to restore the health of those affected, frequently result in a breakdown of trust between patients and their doctors and leave ME/CFS sufferers feeling very misunderstood.
Solution

– By issuing guidance to GP surgeries round the UK. – By harnessing the available energy of patients who will identify surgeries that need assistance in understanding modern medical practice regarding this illness. – By running a media campaign on the issue – not ‘naming and shaming’ because that will be counter-productive but in a spirit of collaboration and support.
And here's the blurb on the MEA site:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=13891
Our Christmas Appeal reopens today for its second day at 10am
We’ll be using the proceeds to buy thousands of copies of the MEA Purple Booklet – ‘ME/CFS/PVFS: an Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues’ – which will then be posted out to GP surgeries round the UK.
And if you get online as close as possible to 10am tomorrow or on the 8th, your donation stands a good chance of being doubled in value.
But don’t worry if you can’t – donations will be accepted right up to 5pm on Wednesday, 19th December.
Whatever you do, if you are a UK taxpayer please tick the box so that we can claim Gift Aid on your donation.
The appeal is called ‘Telling GPs the Truth about M.E.” We’ll use the booklet and a covering letter from our medical adviser, Dr Charles Shepherd, to explain why so many people are ill and for so long and what doctors can do to help sufferers now.
When we post out the booklets during ME Awareness Month next May, the appeal will be backed up by a press campaign.
Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. On the first day, we received £625 in online donations. When matched funding was added from our pledgers and our charity champion, ‘Candis’ magazine, we finished the day on £1,250 – which is 15% of our target.
Please donate online via this link:http://new.thebiggive.org.uk/project/17686
AND LET US KNOW WHERE TO SEND THE BOOKLET
Please let us know if you would like your doctor to receive the booklet when we do the big mail out next May. Send your surgery name and address to our Publicity Manager, email: tony_mea@btinternet.com

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just donated and got my money doubled, very satisfying!

You have to give your name, address, and credit card details and that's it, done - very quick.

Getting good info to GPs is very important, given the deluge of psych lobby stuff in the UK.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks Sasha, i've just e mailed and asked them to send a copy to my GP'S surgery.

Justy x

Firestormm

This began last Thursday and it's still rocking.

Total thus far is nearly £9,000!!

Give it a plug. Give a few pennies if you can afford them. Get some booklets out to the GPs. They are rather unique. Nobody else produces anything like these. I'm told that the campaign title will be appropriately toned down when the booklets are delivered. More money raised = more booklets in GPs hands. Only difficulty then - trying to get the buggars to read them!! :)

http://new.thebiggive.org.uk/donation/to/8991/17686

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Total thus far is nearly £9,000!!

Wowser! That's brilliant - they had a matching pot, partly from private donations and partly from that magazine, which must have helped a lot.

I think that if a GP gets a booklet from an organisation like the MEA there's a good chance they'll take a look and get their eyes opened.

Firestormm

Wowser! That's brilliant - they had a matching pot, partly from private donations and partly from that magazine, which must have helped a lot.

I think that if a GP gets a booklet from an organisation like the MEA there's a good chance they'll take a look and get their eyes opened.

I think so too. Been using the book for years with my various medical advisor's as and when I felt it appropriate. It has helped very much. Not always necessary by any means - but you know when you struggle with words? Well that's when I find it useful.

Also like the disability scale. That helps when in discussion too. Not much I don't like about it really. Would be good if they got it onto the GP computer systems.... NOW THATS AN IDEA :)

PhoenixDown

Has anyone actually got a copy of this mysterious booklet that they could share with me? I'm not happy donating towards a booklet that I've yet to actually see. It would have to have truly excellent revolutionary information (By NHS standards) in it for me to think it's worthwhile donating. It would have to be something that really rocks the boat & challenges dogma but in a way that engages with the audience (I mean doctors not patients). It may look good in the eyes of a patient but if it's not convincing to doctors then it's a waste of money.

For all I know they could be handing out expensive toilet paper.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Has anyone actually got a copy of this mysterious booklet that they could share with me? I'm not happy donating towards a booklet that I've yet to actually see. It would have to have truly excellent revolutionary information (By NHS standards) in it for me to think it's worthwhile donating. It would have to be something that really rocks the boat & challenges dogma but in a way that engages with the audience (I mean doctors not patients). It may look good in the eyes of a patient but if it's not convincing to doctors then it's a waste of money.

For all I know they could be handing out expensive toilet paper.

Hi PD - it's not mysterious, it's their purple booklet that has been available for quite a while. You can order one from their website - it's £6.

Firestormm has commented positively on it, in the comment above yours.