• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK ME/CFS Research Collaborative (CMRC) Annual Science Conference 2016

Hutan

I'd like to know why Zaher Nahle's presentation wasn't streamed. Well, he started and then the streaming went offline and there was the tweet from Sonya Chowdhury suggesting that someone didn't want the talk streamed:
For all #CMRC16 livestream virwers - we have been asked not to livestream this presentation but we will be back soon!

Then the post from Action for ME suggesting the break in streaming and absence of Zaher's talk was due to technical difficulties:
This is due to technical difficulties, but hopefully there will be no more of these - huge apologies for the problems this has caused with viewing.

So yeah, I'm a bit paranoid, no doubt. But it would be good to hear from Zaher as to why his talk was not streamed.

That last session of the day is worth watching I think. In it, several presenters rush through their preliminary results. I'm not sure what to make of the findings - I'd just woken up and wasn't mentally prepared for the rapid pace and I couldn't see the powerpoints well.

But I think I will watch it again to try to understand better. There were some potentially interesting findings - even the claimed negative findings eg re HPA axis.

There was supposed to be questions at the end but I don't think these were streamed.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Ben Howell - I kidnapped your above post and took it across to the MEGA thread - I think it would be good to keep all the discussion there were people will see it. :)

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
@Ben Howell - I kidnapped your above post and took it across to the MEGA thread - I think it would be good to keep all the discussion there were people will see it. :)

@Sasha Have moved it into bigger thread. Please next time copy it all otherwise context is lost somewhat.

Thanks,

B

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha Have moved it into bigger thread. Please next time copy it all otherwise context is lost somewhat.

Thanks,

B

You're right, Ben, sorry - I've edited my post to indicate that some of it is missing and have directed people to yours - but should I edit the full post into mine?

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
You're right, Ben, sorry - I've edited my post to indicate that some of it is missing and have directed people to yours - but should I edit the full post into mine?

Hi Sasha,

Its fine as it is now, thanks.

B

Simon

Sonya Chowdhury just presented an analysis of mecfs funding from major funders around the world, including the UK. Guess what? It was trivial, or zero, particularly compared with other conditions with a similar burden eg MS. The MRC are already reviewing the report and the other big UK funders, Wellcome Trust and NIHR are doing the same. What we need now is action.

The report was commmissioned by the CMRC to provide hard data on how much - or how little - funding goes to mecfs and how that compares with other diseases (disclosure: I commented on drafts of the report).

Last edited:

Simon

All times GMT+1

upload_2016-9-29_9-34-24.png

upload_2016-9-29_9-35-9.png

upload_2016-9-29_9-35-55.png

If anyone is interested Sonia Chowdhury told me via twitter that Dr Julius Bourke on the neurophysiology of pain wasn't streamed earlier this morning because the talk included sharing unpublished data. Summary to be included in Conference report out in a few weeks. Dr Bourke is a consultant psychiatrist who 'treats' CFS and is linked with QMUL.

Cheshire

I saw it mentioned on another thread that Hugh Parry(?) claimed that a reason for lack of research was 'patient harassment of researchers' - can anybody confirm this?

Someone indeed brought the 'angry patients' narrative in to explain why researchers were reluctant to engage in the field. But I can't tell who this person is (a male voice).