• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK ME biobank - joint project with MEA, MERUK & AfME

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This was announced on the MEA site today. There's also a Q&A page.

So, a good news day in the UK for a change - a patients' organisation boosting support for a translational ME research/treatment centre at the University of East Anglia and a biobank project.

Firestormm

I think so too Sasha :)

What criteria will be used to select donors?

All selected donors must have received a diagnosis of M.E./CFS at some time in the past. However, as there are inconsistencies in how the diagnosis is made in primary, secondary or tertiary care, it is essential that all cases are newly assessed by a health professional trained in the diagnosis of M.E./CFS. Patients will be assessed on whether they fulfill the CDC-1994 (Fukuda) criteria and the Canadian 2003 criteria. :)

Since cases meeting the Canadian criteria have been shown in most cases to also meet the Fukuda criteria, this will enable the sub-grouping of cases into those meeting and not meeting the Canadian criteria, throwing light on the appropriateness of the different classifications. In due course comprehensive phenotyping (Phenotyping =.categorizing patients based on their clinical information) of patients may enable categorisation of individuals according to other clinical criteria.

Patients will be excluded from donating samples if they have
recently used (in the preceding three months) drugs known to alter immune function, eg. anti-viral medications and vaccinations
acute and chronic infectious diseases such as hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, HIV (but not herpes virus or other retrovirus infection)
other severe illness and mood disorders.

Enid

Yes good news indeed Sasha (and those involved working behind the scenes so to speak for years).

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
At last good news in the U.K -you are so right Sasha -a good few days for us with the news about the centre in East Anglia too!
Now we need to get people raising money and awareness of these 2 projects.
I was going to say i could hear the death throes of the psychs but wouldnt want that to be misconstrued!

Justy.

Firestormm

There are several inaccuracies circulating on the ethernet about this joint project. This has not been funded by the MRC and will not therefore come out of the 1.5m biomedical research pot.

It was a tri-charity initiative with a contribution also from a private donor and MEA member. Total cost to date around 175k.

It is however hoped that those who do receive funding from the MRC will take advantage (initially) of the blood stocks and later of the tissue samples that will be available from this Biobank initiative.

Check links and comments for details:

New hope for research: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7540

Questions and Answers: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7586