Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK marine wins landmark case over illness (CFS) contracted in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by natasa778, Nov 28, 2016.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...-case-over-illness-contracted-in-afghanistan/

TiredSam, actup, Esther12 and 14 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    It would be interesting to know more about this. It seems quite significant.

I guess the fact that the MoD didn't disclose documents was a big reason for the result. But still, for compensation of that magnitude to be suggested by the judge, it required her to recognise Mr Eaglesham's CFS condition is very serious and not able to be easily fixed (e.g. with a bit of CBT and GET).

TiredSam, Mel9, taniaaust1 and 6 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I've read that if you have Q fever for over 6 months (there's that 6 month deadline again) it's is called chronic Q fever.

"The 35 year old now has very serious chronic fatigue syndrome which is a well-known consequence of Q fever."

well known?

4. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

From the CDC entry on Q Fever - http://www.cdc.gov/qfever/symptoms/index.html

I had seen this story and initially thought it was setting an interesting precedent. After a bit of thought though I would guess the argument would be it only applies as a precedent if we can show that we had Q Fever prior to our own chronic fatigue syndrome.

Disclaimer: I have no legal training so could be totally wrong. :)

Esther12 and Mij like this.
  6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Interesting development. You might want to put (UK) in the Title @natasa778 , quit a few Plymouths here in the USA :)

GG

natasa778 likes this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

8. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26272528

Esther's FITNET buddies claim that they could help the Q fever victim reduce his fatigue by their behavioural interventions.

TiredSam, Esther12, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    From @Apple's post above:
    http://www.somersetcountygazette.co...rving_wins_landmark_legal_battle_against_MoD/
    All power to Mr Eaglesham.

There is the Dubbo prospective study that followed people with Q fever, Ross River fever and glandular fever in an Australian town.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16950834
    So I think that a strong case can be made that the CFS condition following Q fever is the same or similar to that following a range of other infections.

Esther12, Mel9, taniaaust1 and 3 others like this.
  10. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    This guy was interviewed on Adrian Chiles' show on BBC Radio 5 this morning. If you're in the UK you can find it on the iPlayer - interview starts around 9 minutes in. He's mostly talking about a new kind of wheelchair he's invented but he starts of talking about the illness.

Esther12, eafw and Hutan like this.
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

It is funny how if your ME/CFS started as a result of someone's negligence or through somebody's professional actions, you can get awarded $millions. We have seen this before, for example with the $1.1 million cash award plus lifetime medical care expenses paid out in the case of a patient whose ME/CFS was triggered by hepatitis B vaccination. Ref: 1 2

Whereas if your ME/CFS started because you caught an ME/CFS-triggering virus via somebody coughing or sneezing on you, you are entitled to nothing.

Philosophically, I always find that hard to comprehend, even though I understand the legalities of negligence. I am certainly not begrudging anyone who does get awarded such legal compensations — we know very well that they deserve it, and need it in order to live with their disabilities. Best wishes to them.

And it is great and very important that the courts are seemingly recognizing how debilitating and life destroying ME/CFS can be at the moderate to severe levels of disease severity.

But if each of us with ME/CFS were given awards like that, it would for example allow us to pursue expensive but often effective treatments such as Ampligen ($25,000 a year) or rituximab ($50,000 for the first year).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    actup, taniaaust1, Sidereal and 8 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Also for many of us the prognosis would probably have been much better with an early diagnosis and appropriate support.

actup, eafw, ash0787 and 3 others like this.
  13. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I wonder whether there is a legal negligence case against NHS, the government, or some other UK professional medical institutions regarding their inaction on the demonstrated association between enterovirus (coxsackievirus B and echovirus) and ME/CFS. There are numerous studies showing this clear association to enteroviruses, dating back to at least 1970.

Since this link between coxsackievirus B / echovirus and ME/CFS is well known, action should have been taken, especially in the form of a coxsackievirus B vaccine.

A coxsackievirus B vaccine is a very feasible proposition, and would have very likely prevented millions of cases of ME/CFS. This thread details several studies which concluded that creating a coxsackievirus B vaccine would straightforward and technically feasible.

(It is not always easy to create vaccines for viruses, due to technical difficulties inherent with particular viruses. For example, with HIV and EBV, there are major technical hurdles to overcome before you can create vaccines; but for coxsackievirus B, there are apparently no such technical difficulties, so there is no excuse for not having organized a CVB vaccine to be formulated and added to the UK vaccine schedule.)

Thus I wonder if there is a legal case that could be prosecuted against the NHS or the UK government for not creating and introducing a coxsackievirus B (and echovirus) vaccine?

A new law in the UK allows US-style class action lawsuits to be prosecuted in the UK. I imagine if the 250,000 UK ME/CFS patients got together on this one.

actup and taniaaust1 like this.
  14. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It would also greatly incentivize the relevant governments to develop effective treatments. But as it stands, they can avoid investing in research, avoid paying for real testing and treatments of patients, avoid compensating patients, and try very hard to avoid paying for disability benefits.

TiredSam, Countrygirl, Hip and 5 others like this.
  15. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    yeah we definitely need more ME/CFS law suits to get the governments off their arses and start funding our research.

Valentijn likes this.
  16. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

The problem is that governments and agencies usually can't be sued, at least in the US. The theory is that it isn't necessary to sue them, because change can be implemented via voting for different political candidates. But bad PR can also be effective.

17. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I'd think more so not easily sued rather then cant be sued. Its taken me ages to be able to get any kind of legal aid to get a court case going against my state government depts. for ME/CFS discrimination as they didn't offer the normal legal aid routes if you want to take them to court eg no normal free legal aid seeing it was against gov. Many gov legal places aren't even allowed to offer legal advice if its against the gov.

actup likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.