• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(UK) Leeds In-Patient Unit - urgent request for feedback from 25% ME Group

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
There is an implication on this thread that the Leeds CFS service is threatening to remove children and forcibly drugging patients.

As someone with experience of the service as an Outpatient only, but working with staff who I knew worked with inpatients, I have given my experience, which was that staff tried to get me to accept my limitations, rather than ever push me. In fact they tried to pull me back if anything.

I seem to be the only person who has replied to this thread with any actual experience in Leeds; I was an outpatient for a year. I just give my own honest experience. It wasn't all positive but it certainly wasn't that bad.

That's all.

Hi @maria - I certainly haven't "implied" anywhere that the Leeds service is threatening to remove children or forcibly drugging patients.

The Tymes Trust Child Protection Reports I just posted were in response to your statement: "I don't think the system is perfect but, as you say, the removal of children is dealt with by family court processes, not just by people acting on a whim. In my experience of Social Care in this country the removal of children is not something that is ever taken lightly, and tends to be avoided at all costs. If there is substantive evidence that this has happened, a complaint should be pursued."

user9876

This is what another well-known (paediatric) clinician is said to do, and I find it a sinister and corrupt practice in the extreme, for so many reasons. The NHS should come down upon the practice like a ton of bricks.

It's not quite what a paediatric clinician does (assuming we are talking about the same one). She doesn't rediagnose because that would be to admit she got the wrong diagnosis. She claims she has cured a childs CFS and that they are still ill or even much worse because of the stress of being ill and that having CFS has led to a dissociate disorder. Perhaps misunderstanding certain symptoms and being told that she is misunderstanding them. Then she tells the local CAMHS to diagnose PRS and lock the child up.

That's down south of course not leeds.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
If people are being forcibly drugged and they are threatened with having their children taken away that is illegal and needs addressing under the proper process.

I was also addressing this particular quote - the examples I gave of people being sectioned and forcibly drugged while under section are people I directly know and I dealt earlier with why those people would not have access to the 'proper process' whatever that is.

I am urgently seeking feedback regarding an inpatient facility in Leeds, possibly as part of the Leeds Clinic
This service is touting complete success, and extending its range to other parts of the country.

In order to help defend members of the 25% ME Group who are coming under pressure to be admitted there, I’d like to hear from any one who has experience, or relevant information to share.

Hi Helen - I'm responding on behalf of Leeds ME Network. We've previously been in touch with the 25% Group about Ward 40 and have posted about the ward on this forum following a previous enquiry. Valentijn has kindly quoted from this earlier posting of ours. It may be useful for me also to cut and paste here from an email I sent to someone who asked us about Ward 40 a few weeks ago as it's quite a comprehensive summary of what we know. Just to make something plain first however: we are not suggesting - nor have we ever suggested - that Ward 40 *forcibly* drug people or take children away from their parents. Nor, as far as I can tell, has anyone else on this thread suggested that, though the issue seems to have crept into the discussion somehow or other. Many parents in the UK have indeed been threatened with having their children taken away because of their ME. I believe that Tymes Trust, who do an admirable job in this respect, have had to intervene in well over a hundred cases. They will be able to confirm the exact number. That this is still happening is abominable, but it is nothing to do with Leeds general Infirmary Ward 40, who are not a pediatric service. Indeed, there is no pediatric service in Leeds.

Right, here's that email I mentioned about Ward 40 (also known as the Yorkshire Centre for Psychological Medicine, which tells you quite a lot in itself):

We've been in touch with seven ex-patients. All of these people had bad experiences on the ward and would not recommend it to others. I can probably put you in touch with some of these people directly by email if that would be helpful. Let me know if you would like me to do this.

In spite of this contact with patients, I'm at a bit of a loss to explain exactly what treatment *does* entail on the ward. It all seems a bit of a mess, to be perfectly honest. One person spoke of people being drugged up for a few weeks so they got some proper rest and then being slowly encouraged to become more mobile and overcome any physical deconditioning. You can see how this might help people who are simply burnt out or who have fatigue due to depression and this may account for some of the successes they apparently have on the ward. Such conditions are often misdiagnosed as ME of course, but genuine ME (for which research suggests substantial evidence of ongoing pathology) seems unlikley to respond to such a simplistic approach.

A lot of people spoke of therapists on the ward talking with them about their past, and especially their relationship with their parents, trying to identify some deep-seated trauma which might 'explain' or have contributed to their illness. People also spoke of nothing much happening for days on end, of different therapists having different, incompatible approaches. Some people were promised consultations with doctors which never materialised and everyone spoke of the strange weekly meetings at which they had to go before a panel of six or more therapists who then began to discuss their case in front of them.

Ironically, no hospital ward is a good environment for sick people and this seems to be especially true of Ward 40. There is the usual noise in the ward but on top of that the ward adjoins Millennium Square in the centre of Leeds which brings its further share of disturbance. People also report on being woken up by torches being shone on their faces in the middle of the night. Apparently the staff were checking that they were asleep! I guess this is just the sort of thing they do in hospitals, but it doesn't tend to lead to a good night's sleep.

For me, one of the most disturbing things about the ward is that people who didn't show any improvement after their stay often had their ME/CFS diagnosis taken away and were re-diagnosed with something like 'illness anxiety' instead. I think this is another way of saying 'hypochondria'. Having this on their notes then had a negative impact on the patient's relationship with their GP and other doctors, who no longer took their problems seriously.

In fairness, all the patients we've been in touch with were on the ward several years ago so it is possible that things have improved in the meantime, though there is no reason to expect this to have happened. Also, one of the patients we've spoken with reported that one of the other patients on the ward at the same time improved substantially while she was there. So successes do happen - you just have to ask if these people really had ME. Or perhaps they were not so severe and had reached the stage where a lot of rest was enough to bring them round?

If, in spite of the above, your friend decides to go on the ward, I would advise her to make sure she has support from outside: from you or from other friends and family. Apparently such support is discouraged (as relationships with parents etc can be seen as part of the problem - see above) but it is vital that someone can come and 'rescue' her if she has had enough and wants to leave the ward. I use the word 'rescue' because that was the word used by one of the patients we spoke to when describing her departure from the ward. Bear in mind though, that discharging yourself in such a way goes on your notes and can count as another black mark when seen by other doctors.

So, I'm sorry to sound so negative, but I'm telling you what I know. I genuinely wish I had something more positive to say and that there were more alternatives available. There used to be another inpatient ward at Romford in Essex but that has closed down.

So that's the end of the email we wrote to a lady who wrote to inquire about Ward 40 on behalf of her friend. I hope it's helpful. There's also a YouTube page which is worth a look. What's really useful is not the video itself but the discussion underneath, especially the contributions from 'Andy Leeds' and 'Leopard Tail' who are two of the ex-patients we've been in touch with. If your browser allows, it's best to change the setting from 'top comments' to 'newest first' which makes the discussion easier to follow.

I'll also be in touch with you by email, though that may be tomorrow - tired right now!

SOC

If people are being forcibly drugged and they are threatened with having their children taken away that is illegal and needs addressing under the proper process.
Yeah, like that ever works. :rolleyes:

People have tried that. These practices continue unabated despite patient efforts to have them stopped.

Do you have any evidence that addressing these kinds of unethical and illegal practices "the proper process" has changed anything to benefit to PWME? Anecdotal reports are that trying to change these practices through normal channels makes things worse for the individual PWME and the ME community in general. Instead of listening to us and addressing the problems, they claim we are threatening and harassing -- just for filing questions or complaints through normal channels.

As for learning to pace, most of us figure that out through common sense or via free internet sources like PR. It hardly seems necessary to have a major treatment program built around something as basic as that. This is why these programs always incorporate false-illness belief therapies and GET -- to push patients to do things contrary to their own common sense

Yes, some people need psychotherapy to learn to accept chronic illness, but that's standard psychotherapy, not treatment for ME. A special ME treatment facility is not necessary just for that.

SOC

I seem to be the only person who has replied to this thread with any actual experience in Leeds; I was an outpatient for a year. I just give my own honest experience. It wasn't all positive but it certainly wasn't that bad.
Perhaps if you were willing to share some things about your condition, it would be easier for other patients to judge whether their experience with Leeds would be more similar to yours or to that of patients who have had bad experiences there.

No pressure; it is in no way necessary that you answer these questions. It would only be to help other people make the best decision for themselves about visiting the Leeds clinic.
1. Where are you on the severity scale -- mild, moderate, severe? Can you work? Can you take care of activities of daily living?

2. What kind of symptoms to you have? Is it strictly fatigue? Do you have neurological manifestations or sensitivities? Do you have GI symptoms? Do you have any kind of dysautonomia? Do you have flu-like symptoms? Do you have PEM with immune and neurological symptoms (as opposed to exercise intolerance)?

3. Which definition fits you best -- Oxford, Fukuda (no PEM), CCC, ICC?

I'm thinking perhaps the Leeds clinic can be good for a certain subset of patients while very bad for others -- perhaps those the staff has difficulty understanding...?

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
SOC- I can't help thinking you have already decided certain things about me:-

As for learning to pace, most of us figure that out through common sense or via free internet sources like PR. It hardly seems necessary to have a major treatment program built around something as basic as that. This is why these programs always incorporate false-illness belief therapies and GET -- to push patients to do things contrary to their own common sense

As I mentioned before, the Leeds clinic helped me with accepting my limitations, and accepting my diagnosis. It was actually the ONLY place in my life where I felt I could be fully accepted in my illness for a while. Funnily enough, I actually asked several times about GET, but it was never offered; I was desperate to try anything and get back to work!

I had to stop work. I get PEM from physical activity such as supermarket shopping, and mental activity such as reading or computer work, or conversation. I used to analyse information and write reports for a living. Now I find it hard to post on an internet forum. Multi tasking in any format seems severely affected, something I used to love and be so good at. My cognitive functioning is severely reduced from what it was. I used to thrive on my own energy. I was diagnosed by the Leeds service using the Fukuda criteria. The only other one I know is the Canadian one, which I think I fit also. I can't follow the rest of your abbreviations

I have days when it's hard to get out of bed but I can, and most days I force myself to; so I wouldn't class myself as severe. I class myself as lucky. I manage my own daily living tasks, although they tire me. I'm raising two children, though they aren't both here all the time. I do not ask others for help and don't have any family around but I do have friends who i can call on in an emergency.

Please don't attack me. I just wanted to tell some positives of my experiences of a service which, on the whole, helped me at a time when I really needed help.

There are processes and channels to follow if these awful things referred to are happening. I used to work in the area of advocacy/complaints so I'm not belittling the difficulties of PWME pursuing a complaint.

Speaking on behalf of Leeds ME Network, the local ME group to which Maria refers, I'd like to respond to some of the comments she's made on this thread.

I have experience of the Leeds CFS service, which I understand runs the inpatient unit. However, I have no experience of being an inpatient.

I just want to urge caution as I was pulled through some rather confusing politics when I was an outpatient. Some of the NHS staff who were involved in setting up the Leeds CFS service now work for (I think one of the OT's may own) a private fatigue clinic. The private clinic pushes it's work through the local M.E. group. The local M.E. group has nothing good to say about the NHS service but it's actually not that bad. I found the NHS clinic helpful in accepting my illness and learning about pacing, also dealing with other people's expectations and being kind to myself. It also ran a mindfulness group. I know that these are the same staff who run the inpatient unit so I can't believe their approach will be drastically oppositional to that in people with severe ME? (I think they diagnosed me as moderate to severe)

I found that the Leeds ME group has only bad stuff to say about the NHS service which is free, and only good things to say about the private clinic, which is off limits for most people due to cost. This doesn't sit at all well with me.

First - and most important - the Leeds inpatient and outpatient services are *not* run by the same people. There are links between them and occasionally one or two of the outpatient staff seem to appear on the inpatient ward but they are essentially separate units and seem to take a different approach to CFS/ME. It is unfortunate and potentially confusing that the two have been discussed together in this thread. I expressed our substantial concerns about the Ward 40 inpatient service in the comment I made a few hours ago. We also have concerns about the outpatient service, as Maria herself has indicated, but as far as we can tell - and it's not always easy - the outpatient service's overall approach is substantially less 'psychiatric'. As far as I know, they have never used GET and as far as I know they still use CBT to help people pace, in the way Maria describes. They use graded activity in a way that is very similar to what patients would think of as pacing. They do not - as far as we know - use CBT to convince people they don't have a physical illness.

However, they *are* run by a mental health trust and since a cost-saving reorganisation in 2012, the feedback we get from the service is much less positive. Patients report staff having a very simplistic attitude to the condition, as if they know nothing about it beyond their own booklets. They report inacccurate letters and baffling rediagnoses. Staff seem to get frustrated when patients don't show significant signs of recovery within their prearranged course of treatment. We are also concerned about the newsletter item which Bob mentioned above.

The newsletter also has a half page where one of the therapists discusses her therapists' training session with a well-known GET trainer. In the article, she asserts that GET should be focused not on pacing but on incrementally increasing exercise levels, whatever your state of health, and irrespective of fluctuating symptoms. Well, as we know, this is an inappropriate, ignorant and dangerous approach to 'treating' ME.

Like I said, as far as I know the outpatient clinic don't actuallly *use* GET but how then do we account for that item in their newsletter? What is going on?

Maria claims that we only have 'bad stuff' to say about the clinic but all we are trying to do is reflect the feedback we hear. What else are we supposed to do? Lie? It would be wrong to say that patients' experiences are uniformly negative but it is interesting that even those like Maria who defend the clinic seem to have had mixed experiences. As she herself says:

I had positive and negative experiences of the NHS clinic.

We have no hidden agenda. Nothing would please us more than to be able to recommend our local clinic, but when people ask us we have to tell them what we've heard. Otherwise we'd be letting them down, wouldn't we?

As for what Maria calls the 'private clinic' aka The Yorkshire Fatigue Clinic in York, which is staffed by Sue Pemberton and others who were previously at the Leeds service, the feedback we get about them is good so we pass that on as well. Maria claims 'they waste no time in trashing the NHS service' but I have to say I've never known them do that.

Patients in (most of) North Yorkshire now get automatic NHS referrals to YFC so they don't have to pay and we've been doing our best to ensure - with a modicum of success - that patients in Leeds have the same opportunity if they wish to take it. All we want is what's best for local people with ME.

SOC

I can't help thinking you have already decided certain things about me
I can't do anything about you deciding you know what I think better than I do. It's unfortunate that you don't let me speak for myself. I doubt that's good for either of us.
Please don't attack me.
Who is attacking you? o_O

Thank you for the information you provided. I think it could be very helpful for people trying to decide if their experience at Leeds might be similar to yours. However, I don't think it's wise for me to continue discussion with you since you are making up things about me rather than letting me speak for myself.

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
SOC- I'm sorry I offended you. I felt attacked when you said that most of you can figure out about learning to pace through common sense. I couldn't do that ad common sense left me when I became ill. I needed more than Internet as I couldn't take in information from it; I needed to change a whole way of being, which I'm still challenging. That isn't to say I don't believe that my illness isn't biological in origin. But I do believe my lifestyle wasn't healthy or sustainable, and I needed psychological support with that. My therapist wasn't perfect, but the help was really useful.

Pot batch- I'm sorry that I said that about the private clinic rushing to trash the NHS service and I retract that. The other things I said I do stand by as they were my experience.You give yours, and I give mine. Fair enough.

The politics of ME is something it seems impossible to get drawn into. I wish we could all work together for positive change. My personal belief is that the local ME association could work more with the NHS to change their service, rather than with the private clinic. It's not something I want to get into a discussion about on here; I just make the point because it highlights why we have a fundamental disagreement in principle I suppose. Yes, the private clinic has the contract for North Yorkshire NHS referrals. North Yorkshire doesn't cover Leeds.

As I understood it last year, the inpatient service is run by the Leeds CFS service, which does also run the outpatient service; things may have changed or I may be wrong. Ward 40 is a wider unit of psychological medicine, which doesn't just work with ME/CFS.

K22

I think that the inherent difference in patient and outpatient care is the vulnerability of the patients and the fact you are going in somewhere to stay. Some of the people who have made enquries over leeds inpatient are almost fleeing untenable home/social care situations and can not self care so wouldn't therefore have the easy option of simply self discharging & living again back "with the family" if things weren't good. & how they are responded to by the inpatient service can affect all which follows in terms of medical and social care.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I find it sad that human beings lash out and trash things with so little evidence. You want to trash something so you find evidence that fits with your agenda.

The CBT approach I received was about accepting my own limitations, because in doing so, I learnt to pace myself rather than constantly pushing myself past my limits.

I was diagnosed using the Fukuda criteria; they thought my illness was probably triggered by an episode of anaemia. The Leeds service helped me accept that CFS/ME or ME/CFS is a real illness, certainly not the other way round!

Yes, it sits within the psychiatric service and that isn't at all helpful, but the staff I worked with understood that. The NHS has many, many problems. People who work within it are underpaid and under appreciated. Calling them jobsworths is really unhelpful.

Hi there. There seems to be something you don't know, that is totally understandable as I'm sure no one told you, as no one told me either, I had to find it out by being abused in NHS hospitals, on multiple occasions.

*CBT in disease is normal. It helps patients cope who require it (many don't). CBT is only given though in disease to people who require it it is never a mainstay of treatment.

Vs

*CBT in CFS/ME is the mainstay of the entire treatment. In CFS/ME with the NHS in charge, it's about denying your ongoing disease process of active infection, inflammation and muscle damage. It's all in the NHS literature (published) and online. CBT GET in ME, is thus a form of approved abuse, because the patient relapses on the therapy advised. (As they would in Lupus, MS and any other inflammatory disorder).

If you didn't know, you need to go look up 'Bio psycho social theory' + 'CFS' if you're able.
This is known as BPS. BPS has been completely discredited as an effective form of disease management in ME, and also now (via PACE) psych classifications of chronic fatigue states (F48.0). Thus it needs to be stopped, or the patients are being misled.

So there is a huge difference between how CBT is used in wider society for other physical conditions,and how it's targeted against disease denial in ME. Not al patients know this, especially people only sick for decades or multi decades.

It is clear from your answer, we have differing experiences. I am glad you find your experience helpful and hope you recover. Many patients start of with mild to moderate ME CFS, but then get slowly worse and worse. No CBT will ever stop this, due to the disease process.

ME like MS, will likely have many subsets.

Below is a discussion on the system, and how the system created UK 'specialist' centres in 'ME' that aren't:

The system of NHS care for 'CFS/ME' is blatantly corrupt, as the system is not based on science but what is called medico-politics. Medicine and science are meant to be joined at the hip, yet when science falls away from medicine, corruption can only flourish.

Because I met corrupt people, highly influential, they destroyed my life and others with ME. They only managed to do this, with a theory. Biospsychosocial theory of CFS explaining 'ME'. ME is actually a disease that existed long before the CDC created CFS in the late 1980's. ME is a neurological disease, not a syndrome of unexplained fatigue. If CFS had never existed, I wouldn't give a damn what happens to CFS, or what 'centres' do. It would be none of my business, in the same way that I am no interested in bi-polar or depression treatment. Because I was harmed by doctors, using BPS theory of CFS, I now make it my business what happens to other people with ME, who like me, were either kids when they got abused or simply weren't aware.

The internet has educated patients. The internet didn't exist when I was diagnosed. I had no idea there were other people like me, because I was told, repeatedly, they'd never seen anyone like me, and 'ME' is ''ultra rare''. They lied. Because I believed them, I spent over 10 years never trying to meet other people, even though I was bed ridden, because, remember, I was told there was no one else like me. If I had, I would have had friends, I still don't have friends now, because I was so young, I never finished school. I thus don't know anyone in my life, on-line or otherwise. The concerning point here, is I am not alone. Many people will now be like me, in care homes or looked after by elderly relatives or parents who when they do die, they will end up in a care home anyway. This is only happening because there is no treatment, and the responsibility lies with the government for failing to fund adequate biomedical research, because they followed the lies of psychiatry. End of debate. Psychiatry created CBT GE for CFS/ME. Not cardiologists, not immunologists, but people who say ME is a ''myth''. CBT GET is thus based on disease denial, extremism (denying potentially fatal disease is pretty extreme for a doctor) and bigotry.

My fatigue is explained. Everyone else's could be too on this forum who has moderate to severe ME, if they were granted a simple test. A TILT test. I have severe autonomic dysfunction. Autonomic dysfunction is very common in ME patients, but NICE refuse to screen for it, when diagnosing CFS/ME in the UK.

Clinics 'teach' patients to 'recover', by the denial of ME (via BPS theory of CFS). That is fundamentally wrong, as it won't work and has no evidence based in double blind placebo controlled trials (Impossible for a psychological theory to utilise this, unlike a drug trial).

CFS practitioners, unintentionally, may become like priests. They preach a gospel, a belief system of psychiatry, blind faith. Those 'helped' by CBT with neurological ME are the minority, and people 'helped' with GET don't exist, because if a person can perform GET and never relapse they don't have an active disease process, or it's' in remission and may come back at any time and then relapse them (too late then, as there's no treatment to reverse it).

The reason CBT doesn't work for organic CFS and ME, is that like MS, Lupus, or HIV - our disease won't react to altering 'beliefs' that aren't there, as our 'beliefs' are actually normal.

These 'happy' specialist centres for ME CFS in the UK are in denial of what ME does to the human body. (Not one 'specialist' CFS/ME' centre with a pro CBT GET agenda, educates patients about serious medical conditions found in ME such as: Cancer, Epilepsy, Heart Failure, new onset Asthma in any literature). Subsequently, the severely affected ME sufferer can only despair at the ignorance of these 'specialist' CFS/ME centres, due to the therapists complete ineffectual ability to treat the condition, because it is nearly always a psychiatric mind-body based (CBT + GET = do more and feel better = a scientific fallacy) plan of action.

There are women with ME with gyne disorders, still told their condition is in their heads! These women can't get pregnant or live in dreadful pain (inflammation) and need operations, and still, no one can put two and two together and think WHY is this happening. Why are males with ME, besieged with prostate pain. If this was done, it would, of course, expose the lie of CBT GET to 'treat' CFS/ME. Clearly, ME is an inflammatory disorder, linked to numerous chronic infections, and/or autoimmune disease. Hence CBT GET doesn't work! So why are patients being told it does? Because of the clientèle who go to the clinics. They aren't people ruined by ME. Once you are ruined by ME you won't be going to a clinic, to be told you need CBT GET. You'll be going to a neurologist to be told you have severe neuropathic pain and put on Lyrica or Gabapentin because you have nerve damage. That's not ever told to the NHS patients either. Why not?

Why can't a claimed specialised centre, be up to the job and actually be specialised? Why is that so much to ask for?
Because it's not their remit. Their remit is to de medicalise, via CBT GET. Are MS patients given GET? Diabetics? Cancer patients? Nope. They are given drugs, not mind-body theories of functional somatic disorder that is 'real', to the patient, but not to science of course.

The NHS like to 'teach' ME patients in these centres they don't have a life ruining chronic disabling disease process. Well guess what? ME is a chronic disabling disease process with no proven treatment - hence, at least 1 in 4 of the patients are housebound and bedridden. Hence these 'centres' are an insult to people with genuine forms of the condition, because they won't improve on CBT and GET, they will relapse because their mitochondria are exhausted at rest, and they experience high levels of oxidative stress (metabolic inflammation) never mind when they move around.

ME is an energy disorder, patients are exhausted at rest, because they have a disease process making them so and your mind, cannot defeat this - this is the basis of all disease, that is separate from psychological conditions. The disease ME, only worsens by doing activity, and even sporadic gentle activity and infection leads to relapse in ME, because this is how the disease works biologically. End of story. Any 'professional' who tells patients otherwise is either lying, or literally hasn't read the research (most probably).

The people worse than me are now deceased, via their disease process. I have been very ill in hospital with ME many times, mostly my heart. I do not have a 'heart condition', I have ME. And that is worrying when the NHS are in total denial that cardiac arrhythmia's in ME are common. Cardiac arrhythmia's can kill people (VT, AF). If my parents hadn't rushed me to hospital, if I lived on my own, I would have died. The NHS would have killed me, via following the deranged mantra of psychiatrist who produce 'evidence' that ME is fatigue, and couldn't possibly be fatal.

The NHS never tells people they can die from ME CFS, and they never tell people they cannot give blood, they also don't tell pregnant women that the putative agent of ME CFS is transferable in the womb (hence new mothers donating their umbilical cord, who have ME CFS, is banned in the UK). Clearly, ME is a autoimmune infectious disease, or an autoimmune, post infectious disease with concerns over transferable proteins (prions) and so forth. Otherwise these bans wouldn't be in place by the National blood service in the UK!

All of this nonsense of concealing the very serious nature of ME, from me, has ruined my life and tens of millions of others. CBT and GE theory, has ruined my life even more so because I went from moderate CFS to being in Hospital and abused by psychiatrists who win awards for their services in how I was treated.

I predict the universal role out for CBT GE in the UK, will be illegal within years, due to the changing political picture of what ME is, via realising that CFS is NOT a biopsychosocial fatigue disorder, but a collection of conditions, some being potentially fatal. Autoimmune disease kills people and immune suppression kills people, as do infections and inflammation

Sadly, the terrible human costs of the NHS rolling out 'bio-psycho-social-theory' could have been prevented. There never was any evidence for CBT and GE in CFS/ME using science as the decider, not personal hypothesis of those who deny ME exists - what the NHS backs. This is not my opinion, it is science fact. Not one scientific paper exists supporting CBT and GET in ME, there is only weak evidence in some people with unexplained chronic fatigue, with depression not excluded, using alterations in questionnaires as proof - only patient beliefs! That isn't science.

Science measures oxygen changes (VO2 max testing), Science measures inflammatory markers (Cytokines and Chemokines) and Science measures blood flow. This means using CBT to patients for organic CFS and ME, be it Leeds NHS or anywhere else, in any country, to reduce symptoms of organic ME CFS is madness. Why?

In medicine, there must be an evidence base, before co-ercing members of the public to undergo a therapy, as 'safe' and 'effective' (the lie sold to CFS ME patients worldwide by psychiatrists, and in socialised medical care systems, such as the UK).

No safety tests have ever been done in people with organic CFS and ME to prove GET (via CBT) is safe.
When papers in 'CFS' are published on 'harms' of GET, theses are not performed in people with cardinal symptoms of ME:

Cardiac dysfunction
Breathing dysfunction
Hormonal dysfunction
Muscle dysfunction
Brain dysfunction.
Low blood volume.
Autonomic Dysfunction
Neurological Dysfunction, such as: Cognitive Dysfunction.

The most severe CFS and ME patients, can have profound autonomic dysfunction. Severe autonomic dysfunction, makes it impossible to undergo exercise, irrespective of PEM. It will destroy your life, and CBT and GET will be utterly useless or make you relapse. No one can argue this, because autonomic dysfunction is an exclusionary criteria for CFS, but not for ME. (Orthostatic Intolerance is part of the suggested SEID - OI is just one component of autonomic dysfunction).

This is why it's the NHS's fault, for foolishly placing people with autonomic dysfunction such as POTS, and insisting they don't have POTS (the NHS refuse to give TILT table tests) but they have CFS/ME, treated with CBT and GET!!!

It's heart breaking that teaching hospitals can push such BS, but this is politics, this is cost effectiveness in action, and this is socialism failing. Everyone gets the same, for the cheapest possible price, paid for by tax payers. No choice. No difference. No escape from psychiatry.

The inevitable conclusion of CBT GET in organic ME and CFS:

The 'therapy' used in the NHS, for people with organic CFS or organic ME becomes a case of apparent fraud sold to desperately sick and vulnerable patients of which a large percentage are free from mental illness. This is not the fault of clinicians, it's the fault of NICE who refuse to use a TILT table test to screen for POTS, which thus provides neurological explanations to have the symptoms of ME or CFS - and not a psych reason, which is then enforced with CBT and GET. The wrong therapy, and thus potentially dangerous too.

There is no evidence CBT or GET works for CFS, never mind ME:
The large scale European equivalent of the PACE trial (forget which country, Belgium/Holland?) failed. It was so bad it was never published. That is bad enough, until you see what the UK did, using the media to celebrate how wonderful the results were by being selective with the figures. (On closer inspection, the results for PACE were very poor).

The PACE trial selected non ME patients (F48.0 Psych criteria), and they still failed to show that patients 'altering beliefs', improved with any real effect- that is a big fail, especially as it cost £5 million of wasted money. In fact, the researchers themselves later admitted that 'recovery' in CFS (in their terminology) includes to become worse! Imagine if I sold you a pair of crutches for a broken leg, stating they were 'safe' and 'will aid your walking', but then later say, they might 'break' and you might 'fall over'. I'd never be allowed to sell that equipment to any hospital. So why is GET allowed for ME? (Because the NHS insist ME = CFS). That's why.

Thus people being sold CBT are being tricked by the NHS, that the therapy has a science based evidence behind it.
This is not my opinion, it is science fact. The bottom line is no scientific evidence exists, that CBT or GE 'works' for people with ORGANIC based ME and ORGANIC based CFS, as no ORGANIC tests are required to be diagnosed with CFS/ME. Thus if you screen who you think will have psych CFS, then use psych criteria (as happened in the PACE trial), you can mostly weed out genuine organic ME or CFS sufferers. Even though this was done (unethical?) it was still a failure.

So a failed hypothesis was demonstrated and this hypothesis is still in use at the 'specialist' CFS/ME clinics. That's not acceptable to medicine or science. Naturally, the patients are furious no one cares, but the patients are powerless. They are mostly unemployed, poor and can't leave their house to protest, unlike newly diagnosed HIV patients could back in the day before they succumbed to AIDS.

It doesn't matter if it's Leeds or London based NHS doing this or the Martians, what matters is it's not science based, and medicine requires we follow science. As ME and CFS are not categorised as mental health conditions, using mental health therapy (with no evidence it works), is inexcusable and wrong, fundamentally wrong, when a % of people with very very severe ME, actually die from their condition.

People die from ME, because they aren't researched, as they aren't researched there's no treatment, with no treatment you cannot halt the disease process in its aggressive form. It's luck if a patients has a progressive form of ME, or not. (the same goes for MS). So people are dying from ME ultimately, because there is a lie, sold to global health care systems (and private health care, especially in America) that ME = CFS and CFS = Chronic Unexplained Fatigue State = benign =no real problem.

All of this, is due to psychiatry and their CBT GET ruse to 'treat' CFS, whilst claiming ME doesn't exist. Psychiatry stole two decades of funding. What happened to subsets of patients in these decades? Have a think where they are now. They aren't with us any longer. Psychiatry killed the ME patients, called CFS, never believed, so never treated as there was no drugs, and no drugs as no funding.

Well guess what, ''fatigue'' has nothing to do with ME. ME is a neuroimmune disease, 'fatigue' was dreamed up by people who deny an infectious origin to ME or PVFS. To embrace 'fatigue'' as explaining ME is as crazy as embracing racism as someone who is a minority. ME patients are a minority too, and minorities are always treated badly, until they gain equality.

Science, not psychiatry gains patients their lives back, if they can stay alive another 10 years. As ME was first recognized in 1969 this is a slight problem for those who have dreams of 'starting' their adult lives, oneday!

ME and CFS will only gain equality, when apparent fraudsters who sold 'CBT to cure ''faulty illness beliefs'' are retired from the academic sphere and real scientists are in the driving seat. Allowed to move in, to look at the chronic micro-glial-brain inflammation, the low blood volume, the immune dysfunction, the immune suppression, and the muscle weakness and tissue damage that inflammation causes. The latest biomedical research, mostly from America, shows that CFS is worsened by activity, and that CBT is ineffective because inside CFS, is a low grade chronic neuroinflammation, that is reactive to mental and physical exertion, and is also associate to a whole host of differing infections.

As I have been to a UK 'CFS/ME' specialist centre, I have my opinion, and as I have ME, I now understand why it failed. It was based on a lie. No practitioner should lie to a patient and they don't in the NHS. It's unintentional, they are doing it out of the goodness of the own heart, which makes it even more sick as the damage they cause, is not wanted but by accident.

What would think up such a thing to do to patients for 40+ years? I wonder. A very twisted system that's for sure. A system that needs a re-boot, new blood, and new ideas whilst preventing the old school, from continuing to wreak havoc. Not much to ask really, and so is the concept that these 'specialist' centres drop using CBT GET, that is not science based and can relapse or harm the patient. Time will change this, but we don't have time left as the kids are now middle aged and some are even elderly since contracting our disease, from infection.

Last edited:

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
@Research1st

The Leeds service didn't deny I was ill. They did the very opposite. At my first session I burst into tears when I was told I had a 'real illness'. The OT explained things about the hypothalamus being dysregulated. He said something like they didn't know what causes CFS but it's most often an infection, in my case it looked like it might have been a period of anaemia. I don't think that's somebody denying a biological illness at all.

He said my enthusiasm to recover was positive, but he also urged caution that my enthusiasm might cause me to push myself too hard. He was right.

I was somebody who knew nothing about this illness. I was the one with the judgements. I kept on pushing against being ill. Because I needed to recover; I needed to be back at work, and I needed to be OK for my children. Looking back, it's hard to remember that feeling, of being so unwilling to be ill. The Leeds service did help me accept my illness, and the limitations it imposes upon me. They didn't make me better, but they definitely helped me from making myself worse. This seems at odds with your experience. Isn't it possible that things might be changing?

Nobody tried to convince me I wasn't ill. If anything they helped me to accept that I was.

I'm so sorry that you had such a terrible experience (sorry I'm struggling to follow this thread and use the quote and reply buttons).

The NHS has some very, very bad and very good parts. I've experienced a wide range both personally and professionally. Just in my local GP practice I can be dismissed feeling stupid in tears by one GP, or crying tears of relief when another GP tells me she too would struggle with my illness, picks up on my vitamin d levels, and arranges a bone scan.

If we dismiss the NHS altogether, we have nowhere to go. It's just possible that things are beginning to change for the better in some places. I just want to grab anything positive and work toward further, positive change. I can't afford private treatment, but I'm lucky to have afforded access to private consultants in the past. Most people can't afford that. I didnt find my experience of private care any better.

I could focus on all the negative parts of my experience, and I did more of that for a while. I made a decision a while ago that it wasn't helping me to do so.

I've had a few brief days here and there recently where I've felt somewhere near normal ( I get over excited with this feeling and overdo it, then crash, but feeling anywhere near normal is joy). It's made me wonder about what I could do to effect positive change with any spare energy I might ever find myself with.

Coming onto this forum was a small step further into exploring this community. I do understand the history as to why, but I didn't expect to find people so entrenched. It seems that we can accuse the medical/psychiatric community of being unwilling to listen, yet I'm not sure we want to listen to them. It's like a war; there's so much hatred that people can't see past the enemy's face to listen to what they are actually saying.

I seem to have upset some people by telling the truth about my experience of a service which helped me. Possibly, that's to do with my words coming out insensitively and I'm sorry if that's the case. I'm not so good at processing thoughts into written words any more and tend to be blunt and don't seem able to think the meaning through properly, if that makes sense. Possibly it's because people don't want to hear positive things about people/systems they want to hate. And that hatred just seems a massive waste of precious energy.

eafw

The Leeds service didn't deny I was ill. They did the very opposite. At my first session I burst into tears when I was told I had a 'real illness'.

Are you aware that it is policy within NHS "CFS" clinics to tell people they have a "real" illness to establish trust then slowly push them away from a biological framework into a psychological one ?

There are training videos, published papers and so on which make this quite explicit.

I kept on pushing against being ill.

Most people in the early stages, if not severe, will benefit from doing less and pacing their actvities according to the fact that they are poorly. It can help to have someone support you on that. Lifestyle management is good as is a sympathetic ear. However, this is not actually a properly targeted medical intervention and does not require so-called "specialists" to deliver it.

And this is the sum total of what the NHS can offer us, it is pitiful.

If we dismiss the NHS altogether, we have nowhere to go.

The NHS works from a position that ME is a psychological illness. That some services, some of the time, for some people, help a little does not get away from a fundamentally useless (if not downright dangerous ) framework. This is not just in CFS clinics but across the whole institution. "Dismissal" is the last thing that we need here, on the contrary what is required is to hold them to account and expect them to do their job properly

I didn't expect to find people so entrenched.

What you are labelling as "entrenched" are the voices of experience. People who have had many years of living with the illness, dealing with all sorts of NHS professionals, the DWP, the media, have knows many others with the condition and know how this all plays out.

You want to do something actually "positive" then listen to people who know what they're talking about rather than retreating into ...

there's so much hatred

hyperbolic nonsense.

Possibly it's because people don't want to hear positive things about people/systems they want to hate

and again

And that hatred

and again