Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK Labour leadership candidate's views on ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Countrygirl, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Know thy enemy?

The following article is an old one, but it was written by Yvette Copper, Labour leadership candidate, who claims she had ME and recovered. While it is always good news to hear that someone recovered from this miserable illness, if that is what she had and not the more common version of post viral syndrome, she is spreading false and very unhelpful impressions of the disease. Certainly her quote that Dr Weir claimed that about 90% of patients recovered was publicly corrected by him. I have the impression that she has little knowledge or understanding of how very severe the illness is for high percentage of people and such misinformation , especially from a person in her influential position, is potentially deeply damaging to the patient community.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/tired-of-all-this-miserable-me-stuff-1355561.html

2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    For someone who claims to disapprove of cynical sneering, she seems to be happy to sneer at absolutely everyone and everything - the "long-time persistent sufferers", the "it's all in the mind lobby", daytime television, trashy magazines, a "sceptical public", media caricatures, gloom-mongerers, a contemptuous and bored audience, dispiriting ME self-help books ...

She must have just wanted to write an article in which she looks down her nose at everything, and CFS was the vehicle she chose. It probably could have been about anything else. She finishes the article by saying how proud she is of herself.

Well at least she doesn't peddle the BPS model, which is something.

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Back in 1996. But little has changed.

We now know that 80-90% of people fail to make a full recovery and still have lifelong symptoms, even if they have some improvement during the initial 2 years.

Valentijn, Sidereal and Countrygirl like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    If I recall correctly, what was misquoted is that of those who recover, 90% do so in the first year. Its about when recoveries happen, not how many recover.

Valentijn, justy, Sidereal and 4 others like this.
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    I'm no supporter of Yvette Cooper but I think that she is striving for balance in this article and she just about achieves it. Yes, some parts are wince worthy but many valid points made, too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Hutan and worldbackwards like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I heard Cooper being supportive of welfare benefits claimants recently, saying that she had needed them when she was ill with ME.

Valentijn and bertiedog like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Here's a recent article...

Yvette Cooper reveals how her life shaped by a year off with ME - and an inspiring headmaster

18 July 2015
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/yvette-cooper-reveals-how-life-6094553
    Extract:

8. Countrygirl

UK
    Wow, Bob! That article presents a different tone. Can't think why. :p

Bob likes this.
  9. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I bet that's exactly what she was thinking when she was rubber stamping the WCA as Work and Pensions Secretary. Good old Yvette - she's always got the interests of the most vulnerable at heart. I'd rather see Andy sodding Burnham as Labour leader.

Wildcat likes this.
  10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I'm not sure.. I'm not convinced she's the 'enemy'. I could be wrong but i think she's trying to portray the illness from a different point of view, or a fresh perspective - the point of view of a 'normal'. i.e. I'm an ordinary person and I went down with this illness for 3 years, and it could happen to any 'ordinary' person reading this article. It's not imaginary, it's not a mental disorder, it's not depression, and it's not easy to live with, and some people get better. I don't think that's an unhelpful way to portray the illness or patients. Except for her stats, which seem to be pulled out of thin air. She also demonstrates that it's not an illness that just 'moany' chronically ill people get - because she's manage to get to the other side, to experience good health again, despite all the labels that people have tried to pin on her. And this might be a good way to get people to think about the illness with a fresh prospective. It's insensitive, but not necessarily unhelpful in terms of making people think about things differently. It sort of adds to the stigma but at the same time challenges the stigma. So it's a bit confused.

I don't think she quite pulls it off (i.e. what she's trying to achieve with the article) - and she is insensitive, but I'm not sure if it's an unhelpful article, overall. It might have made a few people think differently about it.

It would be interesting read something more recent that she's said about ME, before the election cycle kicked in.

But you'd already warned me that the article was bad, so I'd braced myself for the worst, and it was much less offensive then I'd expected. If I was reading it with no expectations, then I might have found it very offensive. I don't know what to make of it really. So perhaps best to ignore this post if I'm talking a loaf of waffle. Just conveying my first impressions.

Maria1 likes this.
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat

1996, the year of Yvette Cooper's article in the Independent, I starved in my own home, living in subhuman conditions with very severe ME, and for most of 1997. My GP refused to refer me to social services for homecare.. My GP probably read that article. I was far far too sick to buy or read newspapers. I couldn't read at all. I couldn't even move 90% of the time.
    And I have not recovered. It took 12 years to be able to type again.

Yvette Cooper didn't give a toss about severely sick sufferers barely alive because of illness and prejudice, so concerned was she to convince her bosses that she wouldn't relapse.

2010, as DWP minister, Yvette Cooper made the WCA even harsher. A person who was off work with sickness for 18 months, who claimed sickness benefits in that time, who later became DWP Minister.... then when in office as Minister, made it even more difficult for sick/disabled citizens to access the life saving sickness benefits which they are entitled to.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/members-only-news/1207-even-harsher-new-esa-medical-approved

She has not lifted one finger to help ME sufferers, never. But she has dined out on her 'triumph over tragedy' ME story for 20 years and grossly misinformed the press and public that 90% recover "and it never comes back"

. She is using ME to promote herself as someone who understands illness, purely for her own political advancement. She is a careerist.

K22, Chezboo, SilverbladeTE and 4 others like this.
  12. Wildcat

Wildcat

List one thing that Yvette Cooper has done to help ME sufferers, and sick/disabled people in general in her entire political career.

She could have voted against the recent draconian Welfare bill.... But she didn't.

13. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

The fault here, is with the doctors not the misdiagnosed patients, clearly they are believing CF = ME and or the patient believes CF = ME themselves.

Think of the logical fallacy here of 'recovering' from ME or CFS with unheard of pace:

At it takes 6 months minimum to be diagnosed with CFS, and these people claim to be ill for just one year, this means they have chronic fatigue diagnosed for 1/2 year (6 months). That's 26 weeks.

Question: How do you recover from a chronic incurable disease with no proven treatment modality, within 26 weeks, if you legitimately have it?

Answer: You don't have ME or CFS but post viral fatigue/burnout, and are misdiagnosed.
    Chronic means chronic, not just for two seasons.

There are other articles like this in the press. People even saying they have 'ME' a few times a year, LOL. Chronic means chronic. End of discussion.

Snowdrop, Countrygirl and Wildcat like this.
  14. Wildcat

Wildcat

15. Countrygirl

UK
    Thanks Wildcat. Here it is:

TiredSam, Snow Leopard, Bob and 2 others like this.
  16. Wildcat

Wildcat

Thanks Countrygirl. Am on a blinking tablet and can't work out how to copy and paste text on it. The tablet is a spacial hell. I still cant use a mobile due to multiprocessing disabilities. Perhaps Yvette could help me out as she is so recovered..

Countrygirl likes this.
  17. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    She is an ASS
    another "apparatchik", one of the "political class"
    end of story

Wildcat likes this.
  18. Wildcat

Wildcat

13 April 2010 .... Plans to make the ESA medical much harder to pass are approved by Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (DWP) YVETTE COOPER.

Even harsher new ESA medical approved

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/members-only-news/1207-even-harsher-new-esa-medical-approved

An MP (Yvette Cooper) who is exploiting her experience of illness and time on sickness benefits (1994) to drum up support for herself as new Labour leader in 2015, claiming that she is an MP who 'understands' sickness and the experienc of being on sickness benefits ......

BUT Yvette Cooper herself Actively approved the horrendous, harsh and damaging changes to the Work Capability Assessment (ESA), making sickness benefits so much harder to get, when she was Labour DWP Minister in 2010.

... Yvette Cooper approved the changes in ESA assessment which have lead to extreme hardship, and loss of life of sick and disabled people in the UK.

IDS has taken the 'Kick the Sick' policy even further (to the extent that the UK benefits policy is being investigated by the UN as Human Rights Offenses against UK Disabled people).

But do not forget that the WCA and ESA were introduced by Labour ministers Peter Hain and James Purnell... And made much more harsh by Yvette Cooper when she was DWP minister in 2010.

TiredSam, Countrygirl and Esther12 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.