1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK government admits that the blood donation ban was prompted by concerns about XMRV

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Bob, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Here's the significant quote:
    I think that this quote might be important for us in future campaigning.

Here's a transcript of the parliamentary question and answer session:
    http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=2898
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/101108-0001.htm#10110813000455

Here's a YouTube clip of the question and answer session, in the House of Lords, in the UK parliament:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXRjpdBLxKI

The answer given by the government minister is significant because, here, the UK government are admitting, for the first time, that the decision to ban ME patients from donating blood was "prompted" by concerns about XMRV...

This is the first time that the UK government have admitted this, as the Countess of Marr remarks. Before now, the only reason that has been given for the UK blood donation ban was a concern for the health of ME patients (a likely story) where the government compared the decision for the ban with "other relapsing conditions or neurological conditions of unknown origin."

This information has been posted before but I think that the significance of the news was overlooked in the other thread and the news is significant enough to post again, with its own thread title.

2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Very weird... it's also raising further suspicions of course.
    Now, I don't think they have a secret agenda. Most likely their only intent was to limit possible panic, by stating that the ban was made to protect CFS patients. Unfortunately their plan backfired.

It's certainly significant, thanks for posting.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

From the video clip it didn't seem like it was prompted by concerns about XMRV.

They're claiming that they looked at the research about XMRV, and were not concerned by it, but then co-decided to ban all those who had ever suffered from CFS anyway because they realised it's a relapsing condition.

Seems like unbelievable nonsense to me.

4. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Yes, you're right Esther, the government are fudging the issue and denying that XMRV is the real reason for the ban, but it is the first time that they have associated the ban with XMRV, albeit a very vague association that they've given... You're right to say that the minister didn't say that the reason ME patients have been banned from donating blood is because of XMRV... But he did say that the decision was 'prompted' by a possible link between ME and XMRV... It's a subtle play with words in order to escape scrutiny, but I think it might be a step in the direction of truth, and I think it's important to note the admission.

5. Bob

Bob

South of England
    What's also quite interesting is the reason that the UK government gives for the blood donation ban... They seem to be admitting that ME is a life-long (hence the life-long ban) "relapsing condition", and also that it is a "neurological condition of unknown origin"...
    We know all this about ME already, but it's unusual to see the UK government taking action based on these facts... Usually they are busy giving funds to research based on the psychological model of ME, even though they give lip-service to it being a neurological condition.

The next question and answer demonstrates the UK government's stance towards XMRV research:

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I thought he meant 'prompted' as in - the reason they were looking at CFS blood donation was because of XMRV, but when they'd decided no action was needed because of that they thought they might ban CFS patients for another reason.

So the 'prompting' was only temporal, rather than related to concerns about XMRV. It just happened to get a file marked 'CFS' looked at by the blood bods and they realised it could be a replapsing condition, so anyone who has had it should be banned for life.

The thing that gets me about the claim that all relapsing conditions result in a life-time ban... it's not true is it? If you've suffered from anorexia, you are not banned for life. I don't really understand how they can get away with endlessly repeating this line.

7. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone ever succeeded in finding, or getting from an official source, a list of other "relapsing conditions" that are subject to a comparable lifetime ban?

8. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Yes, you're right, but it's the first time that they have admitted any association between the ban and XMRV... So I thought it shouldn't go unnoticed, and the quote from the minister might be useful.

I don't know which other conditions are banned... Are other neurological conditions such as epilepsy banned, for example? It would be interesting to find out.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

10. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for posting this Bob - I would have missed it.

Very interesting to see them all there while this was being discussed - I would have betted discussions like this would occur in a pretty empty chamber.

I dont have much confidence in the powers that be, so it was just words to me - I guess I should be a bit pleased that it managed to get questioned in the first place and that they are aware of XMRV.

11. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Hi Trooper,
    Yes, I agree, it's all just meaningless words... and no action, as usual.
    Bob

See more popular forum discussions.