1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(UK) "Frenchay to lead 250,000 study into the effects of early intervention for ME"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Following on from @Sonya Chowdhury talking about Action for ME supporting research into 'prevention', I waws looking into relevant trials, and found a report of this trial, and then found this thread:

http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN72645894

Link in initial post is now down, but content is here:
    http://www.nbt.nhs.uk/news-media/la...d-£250000-study-effects-early-intervention-me

Am I missing something, or is this a trial with no control group?

What does this really mean:

It looks like they're trying to come up with something even more worthless than this one:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...o-educational-intervention-to-aid-reco.13326/

Min, biophile and Valentijn like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It also looks like an Oxford fatigue trial, not an ME/CFS trial.

Even the moron clinical psychologist running the centre keeps calling it "chronic fatigue".

Please tell me that no ME/CFS charities are involved :vomit:

Min likes this.
  3. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Sorry, confused. Has this one now been concluded then? If so what were the results? Thanks :)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A real mixture of people will be in this I imagine.

Min and Leopardtail like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

6. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

But according to the (post-hoc altered protocol of the) PACE Trial, a score of 5 is indicative of a full recovery!

Min, Valentijn, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sure - but if they exclude recovered people it's going to be a lot less fun for them to get tell the press how many people were recovered after treatment.

Min and Valentijn like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Here's their earlier RCT:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17014748

Abstract sounds a little suspicious to me...

140 page full paper can be dug into if anyone fancies it!

http://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/64979/FullReport-hta10370.pdf

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

I'd a letter published that discussed that paper a little:

http://www.iacfsme.org/Portals/0/pdf/Kindlon Letter - vol17 n3.pdf

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I too started as a milder patient but was always wanting to do more, and was encouraged by many to do so, including many docs. Now I qualify as severe under the ICC.

Tired? Here is my answer to tired! Does being tired cause you to fall down stairs? Has your heart ever stopped? Ever you ever been in so much muscle pain you wanted to scream? How does tired prevent you from walking at more than a slow shuffle at best, for months at a time? How does tired shut down metabolism in your brain? How does tired stop you from reading or speaking? Tell me how tired causes those, because I have experienced all of them.

The falling down stairs and heart issue were from OI, but its part of ME as I currently judge it.

Min and Valentijn like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks Tom. Looks like you'd already done some digging!

I'd actually read that comment of yours today... then forgot about it when reading the abstract to this study. Oh-oh - not a good sign for my own cognitive function.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I look forward to enjoying robust good health in my late 90s.

Min, beaverfury, Leopardtail and 3 others like this.
  13. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    There is one VERY obvious flaw in this study design. It uses only the form of therapy that is most widely found to (often) be found harmful or ineffective. It should be done with the forms of therapy that patient questionnaires have found to be most effective. Should it disprove early intervention being effective, that could be down to the form of therapy not the time of intervention.

Where did the quote come from Dolphin?

Min likes this.
  14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There was a link at the end, but it no longer works.
    However,
    http://www.nbt.nhs.uk/news-media/la...d-£250000-study-effects-early-intervention-me works.

15. Leopardtail

England
    For ME the primary issue diagnosis wise is the mis-diagnosis of 'Depression' or 'Malingerer' being used. The problem with which is that the standard advice given 'stay as active as possible' is great for depression but the exact opposite of correct for somebody with ME where 'pacing' is the order of the day. The advice given in my case did active harm and as such was full blown negligence - I followed it to the letter and did myself severe harm causing regular and severe PEM and worsening fatigue.

I am some sympathy for GPs given the swarm of utter nonsense they are presented with. I worked in at technical profession myself though and 'I just don't understand this' was not an acceptable answer. I was required to learn and to retrain constantly at my own expense. The attitude needs to be instilled in GPs that it is not okay to fail.

The things that really ticks me off is the diagostic issue. M.E. has a unique pattern of fatigue, and for me its as easy to diagnose as the common cold. No other form of illness has PEM or delayed onset fatigue. It would take two of three well stuctured questions to work it out, long before the mass of severe symptoms presents.

Cheshire, Min and Dolphin like this.
  16. Leopardtail

England
    Given that the entry score of the PACE trial was low enough for CFS recovery that is deeply inappropriate.
    For me personally P.E.M. or D.O.F. should be mandatory for any ME trial.

Min likes this.
  17. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

250k is pretty expensive for what will most likely be a complete joke.

Min likes this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Valentijn and Tom Kindlon like this.
  19. Leopardtail

England
    Well,
    rather surprisingly the conclusions were not that positive indicating no improvement in mental performance of quality of life scores. That is reassuringly honest.

They don't define 'normal' for the SF-36 score in the abstract and indicate that 30% are 'normal' physically before treatment. They also report few many as normal mentally. Unless the normals are mood rather than cognitive function this does not seem ME enough.

20. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    The only way this could ever be vaguely justified is if they had had a control arm of newly diagnosed folk who had 6 months of complete bed rest.
    (and they used proper criteria for diagnosis. Ha!)

That way, we could tell if complete rest is better or worse than trying to do their treatments.

See more popular forum discussions.