• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Doctors to get MUS/ME patients to draw pie charts to re-attribute cause of symptoms

Countrygirl

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traininpsy...ferencesandcourses/cbtphysicalillnessmus.aspx

Working with Long Term Physical Illness & Medically Unexplained Symptoms
Using the five areas assessment CBT model to help patients improve

This workshop will give you specific assessment and management skills based on the five areas assessment CBT model. You will cover a range of interventions to help the patient use experiments and structured problem solving plans to improve how they feel.

Attending this course will enable you to:
  • Describe the range of illness responses and understand these using a cognitive behavioural framework
  • Help make sense of the patient's current presentation – including how to assess complex presentations such as chronic fatigue and pain
  • Identify factors that are worsening how the person feels and choose realistic targets for change
  • Use concepts such as pie charts to help patients reattribute the causes of their symptoms
  • Describe in detail a plan to increase activity levels in order to overcome avoidance and reduced activity

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan

Reminds me of the old management by objectives school of thought promoted by Drucker in the 50's and enjoyed popularity back in the 80's....Didn't really work as often as some imagined it might, if I recall correctly, although it did remove some pressure associated with managing.

andyguitar

I dont think the medical profession are going to bother with any of it. Average GP appointment lasts 8 minutes. No way are they going to spend that time farting about with this load of cobblers. And what happens if a patient fails to complete their pie chart? Half hour on the naughty step? 100 lines? Six of the best? :snigger::sleep:

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Reminds me of my twitter post from a while back:

7CC264A0-DD92-46BA-BEA0-F378B398094E.png

Seven7

Seven
So if you ask Ron Davis for a short recording of the cells not recovering from salt, what part of the chart is that?

alex3619

So if you ask Ron Davis for a short recording of the cells not recovering from salt, what part of the chart is that?
[Satire]
Well clearly our cells are suffering from psychiatric problems. Our fubar minds are training our cells to behave badly, and our cells remember even when out of our bodies. Now given this happens to so-called healthy people's cells too, when put in our serum, this means their cells are behaving badly too. So their minds are also fubar, but closet fubar. So they are closet psych patients, including the psychs themselves.

If they deny this they are in full psychiatric denial, and don't want to admit they have mental health issues. If they campaign against this then they are whacko extremist advocates, just like the ME advocate scientists, doctors and psychologists. They clearly have a vexatious interest in disrupting the clear and obvious Truth.

Everyone is crazy. We need to dose all the water supplies with antidepressants and antipsychotics, and fortify common foods like milk and bread with them. Oh, except for those who are both wheat and gluten sensitive ... they need to take Vitamin Psych pills instead.

I better go buy shares in Vitamin Psych. Its going to be a boom industry, and I need the money to pay for my shiny metal hats.

Oh, no, I just had a horrifying thought. What if this pie chart stuff really works!!! I better go buy some shares in some pie companies too.

[End Satire]