• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Doctor for heavy metals & gut damage?

Bee

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I want to say that it's wonderful to see how everyone supports each other, both with medical knowledge and encouragement.

I need to ask your recommendation for a doctor near London, UK. Especially after suffering terrifying neurological symptoms, I'm really desperate for the right doctor. To summarize my story and respect your time: From my existing tests, I know that my problem is heavy metal toxicity and severe gut damage. The heavy metals are iron & copper (due to problems with the Ceruloplasmin gene). The gut damage showed up as an extremely leaky gut in a urine test, and I also have a candida infection. I may have parasites -- haven't been tested for those yet.

So I need a doctor who is experienced in gut repair, and also in treating heavy metal toxicity. It's critical to me to find a doctor who can treat this appropriately (and who can work with the inter-dependence between heavy metals and leaky gut). I'm happy to travel 1-2 hours outside of London for the doctor.

I will be VERY grateful for any doctors you can recommend. Thank you very much!!

brenda

Bee

There is no doctor at present who is recommended apart from a mixed bag about Dr Myhill who is taking no new patients atm. I myself go to Breakspear on the NHS but have not had much success apart from useful tests.

There are some who are travelling to see Dr KDM in Belgium and that is where I would go if I had the choice. The most help is from testing. Doctors are just experimenting on us.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sorry I don't know any other than Dr Myhill, B/spear and KdM. B/spear are also limited now in what they can offer as they were hauled over the coals for treating patients with IV chelation drugs, they had to stop and now only offer nutritional and oral support.
There is a clinic in Ireland that offers IV chelation, can't remember the name but it came up a while ago when I was googling IV chelation.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@maryb when I did my chelation, I was not able to tolerate the DMPS IV so I would go to the docs for an injection and then I would take DMPS orally until my next appointment.

Bee

@minkeygirl, @maryb, @brenda, thank you all for your replies!

I was hoping that someone may have had a good experience with chelation / gut repair, but clearly the doctors leave much to be desired... As a result we are all having to be our own doctor. There really should be better medical options! I understand that it's especially hard to find effective treatment for heavy metal toxicity.

On the gut side -- has anyone at least had good medical help for Candida & Leaky gut (in the UK)?

ukxmrv

Not since Dr Hyams was forced to leave the UK and another doctor was forced to change the way he treated patients. This area was never a major concern for me though. Dr Hyams did tests for me and we discussed possible treatments. UK doctors are at risk of persecution from the GMC.

One possibility would be to ring the Biolab clinic and see if they have a doctor there who deals with this area

http://www.biolab.co.uk/

Good luck.

Bee

@ukxmrv, thank you for the suggestion! It's sad to hear about Dr Hyams. Regarding Biolab – I had the same thought, and rang them in February to ask about doctors. That's how I found the doctor that I'd been seeing for the past couple of months, and I'm afraid he was useless – it was a very frustrating experience. That's why I thought, from now on I will only see a doctor by patient recommendation, to avoid another experience like that.

@justy, thanks a lot for the information! I've seen Dr Forsyth's name before. I'll give him another look now that I know he helped someone else.

Thanks and best wishes,
Bee