• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Department of Work and Pensions: Guide to CFS/ME

Firestormm

Must admit I did not realise this existed. Not that I have ever sought it out and only came across it while researching for something else.

I am assuming the following will be considered by the Department when making any assessment. Might be worth being aware of what they look for:

Care and mobility considerations

The disabling effects of CFS/ME in individuals is variable. The following describes the typical problems with daily living activities for the majority of the time.

Mild Functional Restriction

Mobility
The ability to walk long distances may be reduced, but the person is likely to be able to walk short distances on an unrestricted basis most of the time.
Their judgment, thought processes and means of communicating are not affected to the extent that they would be unable to find their way around in familiar and unfamiliar places.

Care
The person would normally to be able to wash, dress, bathe, use the toilet, get up and downstairs without difficulty. The ability to plan a meal is not impaired and the tasks involving in preparing and cooking food are unlikely to be restricted in any way.

Moderate Functional Restriction

Mobility
The ability to walk more than 100 metres consistently may be restricted in moderate cases, but severe restriction of walking is unlikely.
Their judgment, thought processes and means of communicating are not affected to the extent that they would be unable to find their way around in familiar and unfamiliar places.

Care
Those with a moderate level of functional restriction would be expected to be able to manage some personal care and preparation of food without help from another person most of the time. Tasks may take longer than normal and may need to be followed by a period of rest. Although the level of fatigue and symptom severity may vary during the day or from day to day, the ability to maintain personal hygiene and nutrition is likely to be unimpaired.

Severe Functional Restriction

Mobility
Such claimants may be severely restricted in their ability to walk. There may a requirement for supervision either at home or out of doors as a result of significant cognitive impairment, but it would be uncommon.

Care
People with a severe level of functional restriction, who spend most of the day in bed or otherwise immobile, and who may have clinically evident muscle wasting, may well need help with personal care and preparing food.