1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK council leader slams benefits assessments

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by MeSci, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/po...ys-benefits-changes-are-not-working-1-5752527

Does anyone else here find the comment near the end
    patronising?

Do most people not know whether or not they are well enough to work, and will therefore try to work if they feel they can? I hate this attitude of people being 'done unto' - in this case 'written off', that is so prevalent. If anyone tried to 'write me off' I would not take it lightly!

Sean, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Conflating 'leaving people with greater authority over how they live their own lives' with 'giving up on them/writing them off/abandoning them/etc' is a good sign the person speaking is a really nasty piece of work.
    Sean and Valentijn like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This has been one of my points all along. It does not fix the issues, it just passes them onto the rest of society and increases total costs. Its a con.
    Sean, MeSci, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    or an arrogant, patronising, but possibly well-meaning ignoramus. I've come across this attitude multiple times in relation to 'getting people back to work'.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

A classic case of Do-Gooder Syndrome, DGS? This was first written about (to my knowledge) by Bertrand Russell some decades ago (1950s?) and he used as a case example all the good people who helped starving Africans by sending modern seed crops, the kind we like in the West, to Africa. All was well until the first drought, when the crops all perished, increasing rather than alleviating famine.

In complex issues doing the right thing is problematic unless the issues are carefully analyzed and understood. People probably do mean well, but the outcome is still bad.

On a related front, the UK Department of Work and Pensions has released a report which endorses the Work Capability Assessment and claims its accurate. They also claim the process is evidence based. Evidence based is rapidly becoming managerial code for ignoring most evidence. I have yet to read the entire report, its long and infuriating.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/265471/wca-evidence-based-review.pdf
    sandgroper and MeSci like this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    The BBC Radio 4 programme You and Yours provided yet more illustration of the fact that the problems facing disabled people with regard to work, apart from an almost-complete lack of appropriate treatment and recognition for some illnesses, are largely due to employers being unwilling or unable to employ them, not the disabled being unwilling to work.

(I'm not sure exactly where the item was in the programme but it was in the second half.)
    SOC likes this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I see that as being a nasty piece of work. Most bad people have ways of imagining that they are doing good.
  8. moblet

moblet Unknown Quantity

Somewhere in Australia
    It's a term used by those who have the power to be selective of evidence, as a cover for doing so. Even if you cherry-pick the minority of evidence that supports your belief system you can still claim to be "evidence-based".
    sandgroper, alex3619 and Bob like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Is this the beginning of the end of the UK Work Capability Assessment?

http://worktestwhistleblower.blogspot.co.uk/

PS Or is this even more clever propaganda? The devil is in the details, and in what is implemented rather than claimed.

PPS I think this might be the paper in question: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...disability-and-health-employment-strategy.pdf
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Valentijn likes this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

There are still worrying signs in the new paper, which might be a problem depending on how they are implemented.. For example:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...disability-and-health-employment-strategy.pdf

The disability and health employment strategy:the discussion so far

page 51
    This could involve imposing expectations on the disabled, particularly if neither the doctors nor the person have any clear idea on their limitations, which is often the case with ME.
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

If people would like this on a new thread feel free to start one or ask me to do so. I am not sure there is enough substance here yet to warrant it though.
    MeSci likes this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I still see this as a biopsychosocial approach, but its more carrot than stick perhaps.
  13. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I think there is more than enough for UK people to get their teeth into in the government document you linked to, so I would welcome a new thread.
    alex3619 likes this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.