• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK CMRC 2016 conference programme announced

Simon

Meat of the programme

Weds 28 Sep

Plenary Session 1: Big Data, Biomarkers & Stratification Chair: Prof Hugh Perry, Southampton University

10.00 Dr David Patrick University of British Columbia
TBC: to include focus on submaximal exercise testing in ME/CFS and other research areas in relation to the stratification of illnesses through work in public health

10.45 Dr Zaher Nahl, Solve CFS/ME Initiative
TBC: to include focus on Solve CFS/ME Initiative’s biobank and other research programmes

11.30 Prof George Davey Smith, Bristol Uni
ME/CFS Epidemiology & Genomics Alliance (MEGA) – A big data study

12.15 Prof Caroline Relton, Bristol
TBC: to include focus on the potential role of epigenetics in ME/CFS research and MEGA

13.00 David Ford Swansea University
TBC: to include focus on SAIL database in Wales and routinely collected data

13.30 Lunch

14.45 Workshops

Workshop 1: Exploring the challenges of gaining ME/CFS funding for the range of science required.
Prof Paul Littl, Southampton University
Prof Tom Whalley , NIHR Opal Wesbster-Philips

Discussion-based with presentations from:
• Perspectives from a funder
Perspectives from a person with M.E.

Workshop 2: Research with people with severe M.E.
Victoria Strassheim, Newcastle University

Workshop 3: M.E. & POTS
Dr Lesley Kavi, POTS UK, and Prof Julia Newto, Newcastle

16.00 Refreshments Break

16.30 MRC-funded Research Project Updates

17.30 Panel Discussion with open Q&A: to include keynote presenters

18.30 Wine Reception

19.30 Conference closes for Associate Members

20.00 Private Dinner for Researchers Only

=====

THURSDAY 29 SEPTEMBER 2016 – Open to Researchers/Student Researchers only

09.00 Sonya Chowdhury, Action for M.E.
Mapping global research funding over the last 10 years – a Collaborative sponsored report

09.10 Dr Neha Issar-Brown, MRC

Enhancing research funding applications into ME/CFS

10.30 Dr Julius Bourke Queen Mary’s University,London

Neurophysiology of pain in ME/CFS

tbc tbc

12.00 Dr Sarah Knight Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
Improving quality of care in paediatric chronic fatigue syndrome

12.30 Dr Esther Crawley, Bristol
Paediatric CFS/ME

tbc
tbc
close

Last edited:

akrasia

10.45 Dr Zaher Nahl, Solve CFS/ME Initiative
TBC: to include focus on Solve CFS/ME Initiative’s biobank and other research programmes

Very interesting, especially in light of the fact that Solve CFS/ME Initiative has taken a very strong position advocating that the AHRQ take a hard look at David Tuller's arguments:

The Solve ME/CFS Initiative is one of 12 organizations that have signed a letter asking the heads of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) to examine the issues raised by journalist David Tuller’s analysis of the U.K.’s £5 million PACE trial for ME/CFS.

http://solvecfs.org/Solve ME/CFS Initiative Calls for Review of PACE Trial

Assuming that the CMRC is aware of this statement and can still include SMI in the program suggests that skepticism about PACE is beginning its march to legitimacy in the UK.

Hutan

12.00 Dr Sarah Knight Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
Improving quality of care in paediatric chronic fatigue syndrome
Dr Sarah Knight is the lead on the study my son and I have been participating in. I've talked about this study elsewhere. It's the one titled 'Understanding CFS' that has no questions about anything to do with PEM but a whole load of questions about neuroticism, avoidance and poor sleep hygiene on the part of the child and facilitation of illness behaviour on the part of the parent.

Questions like 'do you repeat words or numbers over and over in order to stop bad things happening?'; 'do you chew or smoke tobacco within the hour before bedtime?'; 'do you give your child treats when they are ill?'.

Do we get to hear/read what was said on the Thursday at some later time?

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
Dr Sarah Knight is the lead on the study my son and I have been participating in. I've talked about this study elsewhere. It's the one titled 'Understanding CFS' that has no questions about anything to do with PEM but a whole load of questions about neuroticism, avoidance and poor sleep hygiene on the part of the child and facilitation of illness behaviour on the part of the parent.

Questions like 'do you repeat words or numbers over and over in order to stop bad things happening?'; 'do you chew or smoke tobacco within the hour before bedtime?'; 'do you give your child treats when they are ill?'.

Do we get to hear/read what was said on the Thursday at some later time?
:wide-eyed: :jaw-drop: :meh: