1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(UK) ATOS administrator calls disabled "Parasitic W**nkers"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by SilverbladeTE, Aug 30, 2011.

1. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    think this pretty much proves the point myself and others have been going on about, how the disabled are being villified and the evil health insurance companies etc are pushing us towards a nazi-like state of affairs.

ATOS was the private company, a splinter group of UNUM, brought in by the UK government to take over medical work for the government and screening of those claiming disability welfare.
    I, like many others was all of a sudden, denied benefit by those assholes.
    One woman who worked for the Employment agency (how ironic) was declared unfit for her work by ATOS and fired
    Then when she applied for welfare, she was told she was "fit enough to work, so, no welfare!" again, by ATOS
    What did she have? M.E.

2. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Yes, it's true, I'm a wanker, especially since I came home to a 'Dear John' letter. Why should I deny it?

But that 'parasitic' thing -- now them's fightin' words!:D

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, such comments as made by Treasure need to be independently verified - but having said that these types of comments come as no surprise. There are more and more reasons to think that agencies like ATOS have a culture of strong anti-disability bias. They are supposed to assess the disabled objectively - such bias is therefore equivalent to discrimination. If this culture is at the top, the entire organization is probably compromised. The entire thing should be scrapped. Bye, Alex

4. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
  5. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Thanks for flagging this up Silverblade.

Sadly, this is no surprise at all.

6. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I've dealt with UNUM is the U.S. They make me sick. So sad to hear the UK government put them in charge of disability benefits.

7. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Who uses UNUM in the US? Hopefully not Social Security Disability.

8. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    It was through private disability insurance, Tristen. Thankfully not SSDI! I wish no one would use them though, employers or government.

9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    My former partner worked for the county of Santa Barbara CA for years and years, paying premiums to UNUM for disability the whole time. When she got sick they denied her claim, of course. She was too sick to fight it.

I vaguely recall that there was a class action suit against them for denying claims, and they lost.

10. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I had the same experience as your former partner Jimells . IMO they are an awful company. They buy out other insurance companies a lot too, so there are fewer and fewer left that are not UNUM it seems.

11. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Silverblade,

Would you have a link to what has been said please? Not doubting you - just would like a link. Thanks.

12. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
  13. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks Silver.

See more popular forum discussions.