• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UCSF Researchers Use ViroChip to ID Contagious Virus

Gemini

UCSF researchers used ViroChip to ID a virus that devastated a monkey colony and infected humans. Using array technology, the UCSF researchers have found the first known example of an adenovirus jumping from one species to another and remaining contagious after the jump.

Genomeweb.com
July 19, 2011

Gemini

I am going to be Captain Obvious now: Why aren't they using this chip in CFS/ME or XMRV research?

Exactly, Mya! Mission of the UCSF Diagnostic Center:

The UCSF Viral Diagnostics and Discovery Center specializes in using a microarray Virochip technology developed at UCSF to identify viruses affecting humans, animals, insects or plants.

This important ViroChip discovery involves a virus that jumped from animal to human (or vice versa, yet to be determined) and is contagious.

Besides Ian Lipkin's lab, it would be nice to have this Center working full-time on ME/CFS! Obvious, right?

Back in the mid '80s, UCSF ran a cfs clinic for a few years. There was a 2 year wait list, and it was expensive for the patients (same old , same old, yes?) Every time I talked with them, they sounded very annoyed and/or tired. I wondered if somehow the causal agent was running amuk among the office personnel.

i believe the clinic closed because it wasn't making any money... just faded away. So UCSF had its' toe in the water back in the day, and didn't choose to keep going in that direction. I don't know more details. and running a clinic is much different from doing research,i know.

Gemini

Back in the mid '80s, UCSF ran a cfs clinic for a few years. There was a 2 year wait list, and it was expensive for the patients (same old , same old, yes?)

I remember the clinic well, we sure had high hopes for it. As for research--

Fast forward to now... Dr. Levy's at UCSF, just published an XMRV study Science(July 1, 2011).

Looking back he references his 1991 study: "Because an activated immune system has been observed in CFS patients (31), the possibility of another infectious agent(s) being associated with this illness merits continued attention."

So be nice if Dr. Levy's UCSF lab collaborated with the UCSF Viral Diagnostic Center using all of their state-of-the-art technologies (ViroChip, deep sequencing, etc.) to discover those agents!

Edit to add ref#31: AL Landay, ET Lennette, C Jessop, JA Levy, Lancet 1991

hey Gemini,

thanks for the update. it's good to know that DR Levy is there. that's valuable itself, and yes collaboration that you speak of would be great.