Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ubiquitin systems mark pathogen-containing vacuoles as targets for host defense by guanylate binding

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by halcyon, Sep 28, 2015.

1. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/09/25/1515966112

2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I was looking at the ubiquitin-proteasome system a few years ago. Essentially the function of the proteasome is to break down unwanted or damaged proteins inside the cell. Ubiquitin is used to tag proteins in the cell for destruction by the proteasome.

You might think that boosting the ubiquitin-proteasome system (UPS) would have an antiviral effect, but in fact it appears that you need to inhibit (or dysregulate) the UPS in order to reduce viral replication:

For coxsackievirus B:
    Proteasome inhibition reduces coxsackievirus B3 replication in murine cardiomyocytes
    Proteasome inhibition attenuates coxsackievirus-induced myocardial damage in mice
    Dysregulation of the ubiquitin-proteasome system by curcumin suppresses coxsackievirus B3 replication

And for HIV:
    The ubiquitin-proteasome system in HIV replication: potential targets for antiretroviral therapy

Although those above studies were on acute lytic coxsackievirus B infections; I am not sure if they will apply to the chronic intracellular non-cytolytic infections found in ME/CFS and chronic coxsackievirus B myocarditis.

I have not read of non-cytolytic viruses living inside pathogen-containing vacuoles.

halcyon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.