Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

uBiome results

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by searcher, Mar 11, 2014.

1. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Yes, nobody tests the microbiome or the toxins in the brain or in the nervs, where they produce probably more problems as in the gut. Maybe not the viruses make the damage, but more the places in the brain or nervs (f.ex. nerv roots) where they live.

But I am curious, what Ubiome tells about fungi and viruses in the gut in general in correlation to the bacteria. It´s the composition and the ratio, that is interesting, and the alterations in the gut within the years.
    Ravn likes this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member

I don't know but I think it would be useful.
    An example, if I search my Ubiome report for e.coli I come up with nothing. This could theoretically be due to 2 reasons:
    1/ Their methods are incapable of detecting e.coli. In this case a nil result tells me nothing. I may have e.coli or not.
    2/ Their methods can detect e.coli. In this case a nil result tells me that I don't have e.coli.

As it happens, I know that for e.coli the answer is 2.
    But for other organisms I have no idea so it would be helpful to get a report that effectively says we have looked for organism xyz and didn't find it.
  3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

The technique doesn't look for any particular organism. It sequences part of the 16S rRNA gene (which is specific to bacteria), in other words, all bacterial DNA, then assigns the results to different taxa from databases.

It is no more or less able to detect any particular bacterium than another. Some, though, are more difficult than others to be classified at the species level, hence the reporting only to the genus level on the website while those species level assignments which have been made are available for download if you are interested.

If a bacterium is not reported this means it is not present or present at a very low level.
    Ravn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.