• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Type of potassium... Is it OK?

I am needing to take quite a lot of extra Potassium.... 5 to 7 gm per day.
I am using No Salt... A potassium alternative to regular salt and I get this from the grocery store, so it is cheap and easily available.
It contains a mixture of potassium chloride and bitartrate. Is this OK, given the amounts I am taking! or should I get Potassium Gluconate ?
Many thanks.

Freddd

I am needing to take quite a lot of extra Potassium.... 5 to 7 gm per day.
I am using No Salt... A potassium alternative to regular salt and I get this from the grocery store, so it is cheap and easily available.
It contains a mixture of potassium chloride and bitartrate. Is this OK, given the amounts I am taking! or should I get Potassium Gluconate ?
Many thanks.

Hi Milford,

My question is why so much? That is a LOT of potassium.. Some of us have found that relatively high levels if B1 and/or B2 and/or B3 somehow overdrive potassium and or folate need without any concurrent increase of healing. I find gluconate easier on my stomach, but I don't know at that level.

I now have lithium in place, and AdB12 and HB12. I can tolerate only 100mcg of 5MTHF every other day .... Or the detox symptoms and VERY heavy metallic taste are overwhelming. In the first couple of months of doing this, my MCV went down from 108 to104. So it maybe I am on the right track in thinking I have got the right building blocks in place. I am also taking two capsules of the Yasko All In One supplement for the B 1,2 and 3.
The symptoms of sudden, droopy fatigue, heart thumping and painful muscle cramps in the small muscles of my feet, usually come on following my morning Lithium, B12 and folate.... I take a quarter tsp of KCl, washed down with water.... About 600mg.... And within10 to 15 mins it usually improves... If not I take further. Sometimes symptoms come back during morning, and KCl relieves them.
One time, early on, when I was experimenting with doses that were too high, My heart was thumping so hard, and my ankles and lower legs were quite swollen. That was how I discovered the importance of potassium.
I also take magnesium to make sure the potassium stays in the cells.
The RDA for potassium for women is 4 to 5 gm..... I don't think what I am taking is super high, is it.

What high doses of KCl are others on ?

howirecovered

Hi Milford,

My question is why so much? That is a LOT of potassium.. Some of us have found that relatively high levels if B1 and/or B2 and/or B3 somehow overdrive potassium and or folate need without any concurrent increase of healing. I find gluconate easier on my stomach, but I don't know at that level.

Fred, is there any way to quantify what relatively high levels of B1, B2, B3 are? I take 480 mg of benfotiamine, 100 mg of B2, and 500 mg of B3.

My core supps are 2200 mg metafolin, 4 mg of mb12, and 4 mg of adb12...

Violeta

5-7 grams is a lot, maybe it's having a hard time getting in the cells. Chloride is acidic, so maybe it's keeping your blood and lymph fluid acidic and so the potassium is being held in solution outside of the cells to neutralize them. Yes, I would try a different type.

PS: Do you eat dairy? Dairy causes me to have potassium deficiency, just wondering if that is common.