Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Type of B-12 in meat?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by GenDylan, Mar 2, 2014.

1. GenDylan

GenDylan

is it cyano? hydroxy? methyl?
    (i understand the differences/need of each type) just curious as to which is in meat.

2. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Senior Member

Western Nebraska
    Cyano is s synthetic form, made in a lab, so I wouldn't expect to find any in meat. I've never seen any breakdown as to whether meat has hydroxy or methyl forms, and didn't see one with a quick search, so interesting question. I would suspect both forms are present, but it would be nice to see something authoritative.

PeterPositive likes this.
  3. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

In this article:
    http://www.nrv.gov.au/nutrients/vitamin b12.htm

they mention:
    So those seem to be the three forms that are found in animal food.

If animals store methylcobalamin like we do then it's likely to be found in the liver and kidneys. Also I have read that before synthetic vitamin were available, anemia was treated with dessicated liver extract... yuk! o_O

4. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

I'm very interested in what info people can dig up here. I think @Freddd mentioned once that it is mainly adenosyl?

I wonder, too, about different meats. I find that I absorb very little B12 from beef, and a similar amount from pork (though it contains much less). Crab, and clams, OTOH, knock my socks off.

5. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

That I think has to do with the fact that clams, for example, contain way more B12 than beef, a lot more, like 15x more :) See here:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-vitamin-B12.php

6. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

Naw, I am talking per mcg.

For example, 3oz of hamburger has about 5mcg, and 1/2 teaspoon clam juice has about 2mcg, but I get a lot more out of the clam juice (judging by inflammation and insomnia).

7. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

@GenDylan: Did you ever find an answer to your question?

8. SOC

SOC

How can you tell?

ETA: Sorry, should have read further down the thread. :oops: How do you know it's the B12 affecting inflammation and insomnia and not other factors in the various meats?

9. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

Well one never knows for certain, but it feels exactly the same as folate supps, so, based on stuff I have read here, I assume it's an uptick in methylation.

Other suggestions for interpretation are welcome, though!

10. SOC

SOC

If only I had one. :) I've just never been able to tell those kinds of things so clearly, so I always wonder how people can tell.

11. NilaJones

NilaJones Senior Member

Some of us just make it up ;).

I do have a secret hope that the B12 in the beef I eat is getting absorbed and helping me in some way that I cannot feel, even thought here's no sign of it in the ways that I can feel.

SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.