• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Type 2 Diabetes

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm not sure if anyone gets "Discovery" magazine, but the latest copy has an article about a specific version "stomach shrinking" surgery was causing almost immediate curing of their Type II diabetes. One women was taking 90 units a day of indulin and her blood sugar values were still in the 400 range. She had surgery and on the last day (5th day) she was at 6 units and never took anymore insulin after that. They felt it was obvious that this particular procedure strongly effected the "grehlin" hormones on the intake are of the stomach and the leptin hormones on the intestinal area. It appeared that these to hormones had strong interaction with parts of endocrine system that has not been known of yet.

They felt like there should be away to develop away to admiinister this cure without surgery to people who were not obese and they starting there testing soon on pigs while continuing to study the obese people with type II that decide to take this treatment. Here is a link from Science Daily, but it does not go into it as deep as the "Discovery Magazine" does.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsh...ith-surgery-it-works-now-lets-figure-out-why/

alex3619

Thank you for fixing the link.

Type 2 diabetes might not be one singular disease entity. I would want to know what percentage respond to this before rushing out to try it. It does however pose a very interesting question on mechanisms, and good questions are the start of good science. Drug interventions might be better and safer eventually, or not. So might dietary interventions if we understood more.

I know in an old study in India they reversed diabetes with a nutritional strategy. That was repeated in a second study if I recall correctly, and then disappeared - almost nobody noticed. I read that study in like 2000 or 2001. That nutritional study was simply a change in dietary fat profiles plus specific supplements. They had much more omega-3 fats and monounsaturated fats, and much less omega-6 fats. In other words something more resembling a traditional Indian nutritional profile instead of a modern western one.

Medicine used to like to say that type 2 diabetes is due to being overweight, but it always struck me that a lot of the research could be interpreted the other way around. Many are overweight as a result of diabetes. I also have met or know of many thin and fit type 2 diabetics. I doubt its one disease entity. However the issues with hormones might be a unifying mechanism ... this is interesting science.

taniaaust1

She had surgery and on the last day (5th day) she was at 6 units and never took anymore insulin after that. They felt it was obvious that this particular procedure strongly effected the "grehlin" hormones on the intake are of the stomach and the leptin hormones on the intestinal area. It appeared that these to hormones had strong interaction with parts of endocrine system that has not been known of yet.

Did they rule out in the study that the eatting of less could of helping due to then probably eatting less carbs?

If Im remembering correctly gehlin is the thing responsible for hunger in people.. and one gets far less of it if something like stomach stapling is done.