Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Two-peak colds: ME thing or normal thing?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Sasha, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I started a bad cold a few days ago. They tend to start out mild, get worse until it's awful, then they improve a bit, and then they get markedly worse again for a few days before they fade out by around Day 10.

It's so long since I've been healthy that I can't remember if this is a normal pattern for a healthy person but I don't think it is.

Does anyone else have this?

Do we know what it means? Does it offer any kind of clue to what is wrong with us?

2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I cant remember having a cold like that unless I was developing a secondary infection due to it.

alex3619 and Sasha like this.
  3. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

Most of my ordinary colds start out awful, stay awful for a couple of days or more, then slowly ease up until better. If I am unlucky the cold may go to my chest. I must say though, I have had lots of 'other' more awful strains the years between 2009-11. I have not had a cold for the last 2 years - so, I think next year it will be all on again.

Hope you feel better soon Sasha.

Sasha likes this.
  4. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Interesting question. I have also forgotten what it is like to have a 'normal' cold.

I have similar experiences to you, though. I also find I have multiple 'peaks' during my cold. Often I finish a 3 day course of paracetemol feeling back to normal, only for symptoms to increase again. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 peaks over several weeks.

One difference I have is that my colds never become 'awful'. They are usually quite mild (with one exception, where I developed laryngitis and viral conjunctivits as well), and I sometimes feel better, in some respects, than I do normally.

In fact, I'm not sure whether I actually catch colds, or simply exacerbation of ME flu-like symptoms.

Sasha likes this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Good point.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    An immunologist once told me that if your nose doesn't run, it's not a new infection and is likely to be reactivation of an old virus. I don't know if that's widely accepted. This was about ten years ago.

Battery Muncher likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.