• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Twitching eye

Since starting methyl-folate (along with very low doses of methylB12 and AdB12) I have developed a persistent twitch in my left eye. Is this and indication of low potassium? Or something else?

The methylfolate addition has helped immensely with my severe depression and anxiety, so I don't want to stop it.

Phred

It could be a need for potassium and/or magnesium. I get the same twitch sometimes. For me magnesium helps a lot. If it's still twitching after some extra magnesium then I try potassium. Although I find my legs cramp up long before my eye starts twitching if I need potassium.

leela

I am not doing methylation, I use magnesium fairly regularly, and my potassium is on the high side. I get the eye twitch a lot, along with other random twitches. I will say magnesium helps a little, but the eye twitch is pretty consistent.
Strangely, when I get my weird spaz attacks, they resolve with a yawn and then a prolonged eye twitching episode.
No idea what that's about.

rosie26

Magnesium works for me too when I get the twitching in the eyelid. Goes away fairly quickly after taking some magnesium.

dannybex

Since starting methyl-folate (along with very low doses of methylB12 and AdB12) I have developed a persistent twitch in my left eye. Is this and indication of low potassium? Or something else?

The methylfolate addition has helped immensely with my severe depression and anxiety, so I don't want to stop it.
Hi Jammies,

Did you ever figure out if it was the methylfolate alone that caused the eye twitching, or was it the combination? And has that resolved? If so...how? :)

Thanks in advance.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I class that as one of my neuro symptoms - I first got it years ago after being in shock following a car accident. I also get mouth and eye tremors as well now, It is worse for me if I take chelation stuff, herbal protocols eg. Samento, at present Zeolite, they all started the same day as I started that....varies in intensity.

Tells you something is working - what I'm sorry I don't know.

Hi Jammies,

Did you ever figure out if it was the methylfolate alone that caused the eye twitching, or was it the combination? And has that resolved? If so...how? :)

Thanks in advance.

Sorry - just saw your post - I've been focused on mercury lately, so have been missing the threads here. Anyway, it seemed to be magnesium - started using more topical magnesium and it went away. I also increased methyl-B12 since then and dropped the AdB12, so that could have done it. Or it just went away on it's own - can't be sure :)